How long do you let it cool before draining oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wait until the engine is cool enough to handle w/o getting burnt. That time varies with ambient temperatures.

I wait about 15 min, but not because of the engine heat. I want as much oil as possible to drain down into the sump before I pull the plug. I then let drain for another 15 min.

I drain it Hot. I use an open end wrench to loosen the bolt then I do a couple of turns by hand then use the box end the rest of the way and hope it doesn't fall into the drain pan.

I extract (no draining).

I usually wait until the exhaust manifolds are cool enough to reach my forearms between the manifolds for the oil filter and not burn myself.
Yet warm enough that the oil is easily sucked up by my extractor to not wear out/damage the pumps seals (considering it's sucking up 15w40).
This usually ends up being about 30-35 minutes after a decent drive.

I wait a while, it is not exact science, but I want the oil cool enough should it run down my arm that I'm not in pain.

Only long enough to get from turning off the ignition switch back down to the pre-loosened drain plug. In other words, hot, and as well-mixed as possible, so any gunk inclined to settle out will drain before it settles, I hope.

Back when I had to deal with spin-on canister filters, I waited until it cooled enough to handle safely.

Last edited:
I prefer cold, but I pretty much drain it right after the car is up.
I like cold because the filter is easier (safer) to get to.

Also, I like having the oil in the pan. I do prime the new oil filter....

besides draining as hot as possible be sure the drain plug is the lowest place + let it drain a while if you can.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by SirTanon
I never do an oil change after a long drive. If I'm doing an oil change, I will usually start it up, drive it a mile or so, then right up on ramps and change. This way, it's warm and has been circulating a bit.

Won't get all the particles that have settled on the inside of the pan to flow out unless you let it drain for hours. Oil thins out when hot and flows easier.

Even if it's hot, you won't get ALL of the particles that have settled into the pan.. in fact you won't get quite a lot of them. But at least being driven around the block will get some.

As far as hot/cold goes.. I live in Phoenix. It never gets 'cold'.

Hot will get more out than warm and since it's just as easy to drain after getting home from a drive instead of purposely driving it just for the sake of the oil change, it's a no-brainer to change hot.

I usually do drains after normal use of the car.
I'll put my Accord up on ramps when arriving home form work, change into the old clothes I keep for these jobs and then pull the plug.
With the Forester, I'll drain it immediately after my wife arrives home since there is no need to lift it.
I've always preferred to drain hot and with a little care you won't get scalded.

Hot, cold, tepid. I don't need ramps for my vehicles. The bolt drops in the pan and I fish it out with a magnetic retriever. I don't think hot or cold matters. Would love to see data on this.

Won't get all the particles that have settled on the inside of the pan to flow out unless you let it drain for hours. Oil thins out when hot and flows easier.

Originally Posted by CR94
... In other words, hot, and as well-mixed as possible, so any gunk inclined to settle out will drain before it settles, I hope.

To get as much of the suspended particles out of the pan, drain it as hot as possible. After a good highway drive is best.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Even if it's hot, you won't get ALL of the particles that have settled into the pan.. in fact you won't get quite a lot of them. But at least being driven around the block will get some.

So I want to know what everyone is driving that has "gunk" and "particles" in their oil that are heavy enough to settle out of the oil into the pan when you turn the engine off but not be filtered out when the engine is running?
Seriously, who here has engines that dirty?

Hot will get more out than warm and since it's just as easy to drain after getting home from a drive instead of purposely driving it just for the sake of the oil change, it's a no-brainer to change hot.

How so?
I do agree a hot/warm engine will drain a little faster, but not a concern for me since I am in no rush when I do an oil change.
I would say there is not much if any difference in the amount drained out hot vs cold. Cold is a little slower, but oil has drained from the upper parts of the engine so more oil in the pan, hot oil drains faster, but more oil is still higher up in the engine.

Originally Posted by blupupher

So I want to know what everyone is driving that has "gunk" and "particles" in their oil that are heavy enough to settle out of the oil into the pan when you turn the engine off but not be filtered out when the engine is running?
Seriously, who here has engines that dirty?

You can probably better picture it in your mind if you think of diesel oil. Get a drop on your hand and the stain is there for days. All of that gets past the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back