Difference between Mobil 1 Annual Protection vs Mobil 1 Extended Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What magic sauce does the AP have in it that lets Mobil claim 20,000 mile oil changes vs. EP's 15,000 mile claim? Not that I'd go that long. I just would like to find out if the base oils are same and it's a stronger additive pkg in the AP or if AP has more PAO than EP, or what's the deal? AP does show slightly thicker on the PDS with cSt @ 11.7 vs 10.6 for EP.

...and followed. Curious as well, not sure if I want to run EP after my AP is depleted or switch to something else.
35.gif

The scale of a dragon, a wolf's tooth, a witch's mummified flesh, the gullet and stomach of a ravenous shark, a root of hemlock that was dug up in the dark, group LXIX base oils, the tears of a virgin unicorn, and a piece of the Golden Fleece. Sorry I'll show myself out now.

wink.gif
about $10 more per Jug...

Other than that I don't really know. I find it interesting they tested it on 3 T-GDI engines for 20k miles....couldn't find many detailed tear down pictures though.

I'm guessing it's probably a good oil with slightly better base composition and organic additives that allow it to retain TBN longer than EP. That's purely a guess on my part, MSDS may show base materials.

If compared to Amsoil SS it would be a bargain at $39.99/5QT @ Walmart assuming one would actually run it 15-20k miles and not spend a bunch of money on UOAs in the process.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
What magic sauce does the AP have in it that lets Mobil claim 20,000 mile oil changes vs. EP's 15,000 mile claim? Not that I'd go that long. I just would like to find out if the base oils are same and it's a stronger additive pkg in the AP or if AP has more PAO than EP, or what's the deal? AP does show slightly thicker on the PDS with cSt @ 11.7 vs 10.6 for EP.

Much of this is available on Mobil's website...at least your questions about base oils - I can't remember exactly but I think 0W-20 AP is in the 70% PAO range and I think EP was in the 30-40% range. Go to the website and look it up....

Last edited:
Probably more antioxidant and other additives to fully support the longer drain interval.

The SDS are available on Mobil's website. While they usually are not a reliable way to determine composition of oil, M1 does disclose a lot more on their sheets than any other company.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

Much of this is available on Mobil's website...at least your questions about base oils - I can't remember exactly but I think 0W-20 AP is in the 70% PAO range and I think EP was in the 30-40% range. Go to the website and look it up....

M1 0w20 ep is very close in pao % to ap I think.

Originally Posted by GZRider
The scale of a dragon, a wolf's tooth, a witch's mummified flesh, the gullet and stomach of a ravenous shark, a root of hemlock that was dug up in the dark, group LXIX base oils, the tears of a virgin unicorn, and a piece of the Golden Fleece. Sorry I'll show myself out now.

...‚.. that's funny.

OP, it's both. Of course a higher pao/ester content is going to allow the finished lube to perform over long(er) drain intervals but you also need additives that aren't going to deplete at 15k miles. Dispersants, VM's, antioxidants and detergents all gotta stay active for a longer period or the lubes in trouble. Of course good filtration plays an equally important part in extended drain intervals.

If you're seeking exact %'s and types (additives), good luck. You're gonna need to contact XOM for that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PWMDMD

I think EP is about 70%, both have a very low pour point and I doubt there is much difference. I think the differences a bit more noticeable in the 5W-20 and 5W-30 weights. Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 is said to be about 30% PAO.....

All of the Mobil 1 line is using top notch base oils - AN's, PAO's, GTL and POE. EP/AP are using the most PAO. The 0w20 oils, other than AFE, are majority PAO (70% approx.). As Mad Hatter said you also need the other ingredients as well to give you that 5k mile boost over the EP.

Originally Posted by buster
All of the Mobil 1 line is using top notch base oils - AN's, PAO's, GTL and POE. EP/AP are using the most PAO. The 0w20 oils, other than AFE, are majority PAO (70% approx.). As Mad Hatter said you also need the other ingredients as well to give you that 5k mile boost over the EP.

A succinct, informative post. TY.

I surmised long ago that the main difference between
Extended Performance and Annual Protection
was the amount of highest quality basestock.

Good post Buster … I was being a little playful but fully understand what you have posted.
M1 is going to formulate w/ various combos, they hold the base stock deck and balance seller, buyer, OEM, etc.

Shell has gone another way and it's a good way too … perhaps a bit exposed to the SoH … but XOM is exposed to gulf coast weather …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back