How long do you let it cool before draining oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just came home from a drive and I pulled the car up onto the ramps before I shut it off in preparation for changing the oil. How long to you usually let a fully warm car cool down before draining the oil? I'm pretty sure it's still too hot to touch anything on the bottom of the engine right now.

On a related note, I would hate to be the pit guy at one of those quick lube places.

I don't. I take the drain plug off as soon as the car is up on the ramps, and take the filter off as soon as it is cool enough for me to grip it. Having said that, I've never had oil scald my arm. If that were the case, I'd probably be ok draining it cold.

If I don't come away from the drain plug with 2nd degree burns, I let it sit too long.

I usually stage the change stuff in the driveway, go for a drive, park the car, go grab a Coke, jack it up and go from there. I'd say no more than 10 minutes from shutdown to drain. If you want to change sooner and not get burnt, get an oil vacuum or a Fumoto valve and hose.

I bought an EKWM oil vacuum and anything I can fish the tube into I do my changes with. It was worth every penny of the $54 cost since if I'm doing a tranny fluid swap, I don't even get out the jack or get on the ground. 4 quarts out & in only takes about 15 minutes total.

I drive it long enough to get it warm, pull it up on the ramps, then drain it. On my Jeep, (it has an oil temp gauge), that's right around 195 - 200F. I wear 8 mil gloves, so if I get a little on my hands it's not too bad. They also let me handle the hot filter without too much juggling. It's more painful eating my wife's stuffed peppers straight from the oven.

I've got a new 2.7 Ecoboost in the family and they're supposed drain for 15 minutes before pulling the plug. Which works out fine because it takes me that long to get out the jackstands and jack and get her in the air.

Usually overnight. I do mine stone cold. 0W20 for the win in really cold temps, can't even tell the motor oil is cold. 5W30, yeah that is a bit slower to drain in the winter, no biggie, just leave the pan under it and go back inside for more coffee.

Edit: done that for the last 75k in my old Camry, 150k in my new(er) Camry, both are doing just fine as they hit or exceed the 200k mark.

Last edited:
To get as much of the suspended particles out of the pan, drain it as hot as possible. After a good highway drive is best.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
If I don't come away from the drain plug with 2nd degree burns, I let it sit too long.

I've used a magnetic drain plug remover like this for years and don't get a drop of oil on me.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

I worked in and managed quick lube facilities for almost 14 years. That said...I don't let mine sit long at all. Of course, my truck is high enough off the ground that I don't need ramps or a jack. Simply pull the drain pan under there with me as soon as I turn off the engine from driving around the block to get it up to operating temp. Turn off the engine and drain it immediately.

I drain it hot. I always start with the oil filter so it can drop without a splash. Then I'll let the drain plug fall into the oil and fish it out later. This way you don't have to hold on to anything hot.

I never do an oil change after a long drive. If I'm doing an oil change, I will usually start it up, drive it a mile or so, then right up on ramps and change. This way, it's warm and has been circulating a bit.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
I never do an oil change after a long drive. If I'm doing an oil change, I will usually start it up, drive it a mile or so, then right up on ramps and change. This way, it's warm and has been circulating a bit.

Won't get all the particles that have settled on the inside of the pan to flow out unless you let it drain for hours. Oil thins out when hot and flows easier.

I wait long enough to collect items needed for the oil change. I won't burn myself and will drop the drain plug in the soup if its too hot.

On the Subarus I have the Fumoto and that eliminates most chances of getting burned as long as you keep your hands out of the path of the oil.

No rush to change the filter. I finish the draining and then wait until I can hold it without being burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back