Cleanable oil filter - are they obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This inquiry might be dated and perhaps obsolete.

In a repair manual, and this title of the book is from memory, so what was called or labeled a complete idiot's guide to repair your VW (Bettle - 1960-to 1970), the new title seems from memory seems to match Jon Muir, what is now How to keep your Volkswagen alive,
there was a passage in this book/manual about a cleanable - reusable/cleanable oil filter. From the statement, and my limited research at the time, it scrubbed the oil.

I was going to procure one; but the cleanable oil filter for the the car I was considering was only available for the six cylinder engine, not the four cylinder. Therefore, I did not pursue this futher.

Does any one have information and or experience about the re-usable oil filters etc

Thanks

i was under the impression that the only "filter" on old beetles was basically a screen...

but we've not had one in the family since i was around 6 yrs old(40 now) so i never had the chance to work on one....

This was not a wire mesh that came "stock - OEM" off the show room floor. This was after market, let say well after market, for lack of a better phrase, perforemance - when I had my VW, I did upgrade it in many way, one was a high velocity oil pump, with the "paper/cardboard" filter, Fram, Purculator, etc, This "cleanable/re-usable" filter, exceeded this "upgrade", allegedly. The reason for use with a 6 cylinder engine, was perhaps for heavy loads - towing stuff; but this is speculation, again I did not pursue it futher - they raise the price of the 6 cylinder 2K for reasons no going into .

Originally Posted by plankieee

This was not a wire mesh that came "stock - OEM" off the show room floor. This was after market, let say well after market, for lack of a better phrase, perforemance - when I had my VW, I did upgrade it in many way, one was a high velocity oil pump, with the "paper/cardboard" filter, Fram, Purculator, etc, This "cleanable/re-usable" filter, exceeded this "upgrade", allegedly. The reason for use with a 6 cylinder engine, was perhaps for heavy loads - towing stuff; but this is speculation, again I did not pursue it futher - they raise the price of the 6 cylinder 2K for reasons no going into .

What 6-cylinder engine and what vehicle?

Originally Posted by Chris142
My dad used to clean his in gasoline. The screen must have worked good enough as both beetles went well over 100k with zero issues.

Yes but if I remember correct the old VW's with those screen filter had a factory recommended 2000 mile OCI!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Chris142
My dad used to clean his in gasoline. The screen must have worked good enough as both beetles went well over 100k with zero issues.

Yes but if I remember correct the old VW's with those screen filter had a factory recommended 2000 mile OCI!

They only held 2.5 quarts, vw recommended straight 30 weight oil , hot summer 40 weight.

For the cost of disposable filters and their performance, I can't see how cleanable ones would make sense.

I still have a 1965 Beetle with the wire screen on the intake pipe at the bottom of the sump. I also have a magnetic drain plug. Between these 2 items and changing oil at 2-3K intervals, I have not had any excessive wear or failures on the motor. It is entirely a stock 1600 motor. I upgraded from the 40HP 1200cc over 15 years ago.

The re-usable oil filter again was allegedly superior to the high velocity oil pump with "replaceable filter",

As for oil changes, I came about this by "testing", My usual drive to work there was a bridge, about 75 feet for clearance for a vessel (water) to pass under. When my oil changed color - I could not accelerate up the bridge at say 65 mph) yes, I did have an oil sump, that added and extra 2 quarts or so of oil, and mild cam, etc. The car IMHO was not designed to travel in hot weather, nor at cool weather at that speed for prolonged distances, there were extras to get better cooling, this was an air cooled engine, I had to stuff the wind "scups" during winter so the heater would work. Yes there was a magnetic drain plug, that did show wear, always to my memory. This was a super bettle engine.

As for the vehicle I was researching for the cleanable oil filter, that allegedly was the best per that book mentioned - . It was a 1993 camry, I waited too long, it was found out in 1992 that there was insignificant differences between the Lexus, and the Camry XLE (6 Cylinder Camry), so the price was increased by $2,000,00.

Most cleanable oil "filters" barely filter any better than 100 Microns.

I would never settle for something that filtered so poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back