In Praise Of The Synthetic 5K Mile OCI In 5 QRT. Sump ?

Originally Posted by camryrolla
The 3Kers and the 5Kers need to spend more time in the UOA section and get themselves educated on how to extend their OCI. Extended drain to a certain point makes for less wastes and less works.

In my case I drive 5k a year with a GDI engine and lots of short trips. Would you recommend that I extend my oci ?

Originally Posted by CT8
I see many cars with 250,000+ miles on the odo running jiffy lube oil and filters.

That goes back a long, long, long time ago CT8...

Back when dino was truly dinosaur oil
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
[...

Back when dino was truly dinosaur oil
lol.gif

As are most "FULL" synthetics, now.
27.gif

C'mon...you know it's true.
05.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
The 3Kers and the 5Kers need to spend more time in the UOA section and get themselves educated on how to extend their OCI. Extended drain to a certain point makes for less wastes and less works.

In my case I drive 5k a year with a GDI engine and lots of short trips. Would you recommend that I extend my oci ?

No.

again, go to the UOA section and research all the UOAs on your generation of your interested vehicle and read up on them to see what Blackstone and other forum members recommend. If you do not see any posted, then I recommend you do a UOA yourself and post it here to see what BS and the forum recommend.

I have looked over many many of the UOAs... And the GDI motors and the turbo boosted motors that are GDI are typically killing oil in short order.... High fuel levels... And oil viscosity way, way low because of that...

Versus a car like mine that is port injection and naturally aspirated.... Or say in comparison to the older Toyota motors which are port injection and NA and those UOAs do look great out past 10k miles... Those motors we're much, much easier on oil than a lot of these newer motors that are GDI or TGDI....

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
I don't understand the obsession with such short intervals. Back in the 70's here in the UK Ford were recommending 6 month/6k intervals, by the late 80's they started recommending 12,500miles or 12 month intervals and now we are at 2 years or 20,000miles. Most other major manufacturers were around the same kind-of service interval. We don't have scrap yards full of immaculate cars with failed engines.

The culture difference around oil changes in Europe/UK and North American is quite interesting. I would say the advertising in the 70's about 3k mile oil changes over here certainly worked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
I have looked over many many of the UOAs... And the GDI motors and the turbo boosted motors that are GDI are typically killing oil in short order.... High fuel levels... And oil viscosity way, way low because of that...

Versus a car like mine that is port injection and naturally aspirated.... Or say in comparison to the older Toyota motors which are port injection and NA and those UOAs do look great out past 10k miles... Those motors we're much, much easier on oil than a lot of these newer motors that are GDI or TGDI....

+1

In the case of owning GDI or TGDI engines I think it's best to just follow the manufacturers Severe service intervals. Most people would be best served following their manufacturers recommendations.

In the case of Hyundai/Kia recommending 3,750mi intervals It would seem they are spot on with most UOAs of their GDI engines toasting the oil by 5k miles or less.

Well running port injected engines are capable of much longer intervals. Our escape and Silverado have no trouble running 7.5k+ intervals.

I will do a UOA on our new to us T-GDI Hyundai in the near future to get an Idea of the OCI boundaries on it. I'm guessing by Hyundai's Severe service recommendation of 3k miles on the 1.6T-GDI using an ACEA A5 oil, it's going to destroy quality oil in 3-5k miles. Time will tell.

Last edited:
My Tacoma 2.7 calls for 5k OCI with conventional. Now well out of warranty, I am doing 7500 with synthetic and I am confident that the engine will happily go 400k+. There are many reasons why this is a good idea:
Large oil capacity (5.5qt) for the engine size
M1 synthetic oil rated for 10k intervals (large cushion)
Using high quality oil filters
Toyota 2.7 2TR-FE engine is not known to be hard on oil
Virtually zero short trips (oil nearly always reaches full temp and stays there awhile)
Never tow and occasionally haul
Driving around 11k per year (oil service every 8 months)

It's now at 155k and runs like new.

mr arcographite…..all I can say is if I didn't follow a 3k oci in the dead of winter with my wonderful honda 1.5t fd machine I'd be willing to bet I'll have issues down the road. now outside of the winter realm then sure 5k works....

again, go to the UOA section and research all the UOAs on your generation of your interested vehicle and read up on them to see what Blackstone and other forum members recommend. If you do not see any posted, then I recommend you do a UOA yourself and post it here to see what BS and the forum recommend.

UOA's provide a 30k ft look at a lubes performance. It's unique to that vehicle. It can show that the formula is capable of doing extended drains but it by no means guarantees you will have similar results. In fact it's possible one could have a completely different experience given the effect of variables unique to you have on the lube.

So obviously a UOA provides better visibility into drain intervals and if I ever were inclined to go past the 5k mark I certainly wouldn't do it without at least one UOA. That being said, 99.9% of the motorists out there don't do UOA's so they're essentially making the decision to extend drain intervals blindly, not knowing whether or not they and their cars are a good candidate for it. And since most owners don't keep their car long enough to see the effects of their decision, they're none the wiser. Remember, in most cases lubricant related engine problems develop over time... it's the poor schlep that buys that pre-owned 10k mile oci ride that gets stuck dealing with the fallout from maintenance choices made long long ago in the engines life.

By comparison I like to ride all my vehicles off into the sunset long after they were purchased..its sort of a badge of honour for me and I don't like car payments, so there's that....‚ Changing the lube at reasonable intervals (sans objective data to suggest otherwise) is a measure of insurance against lubrication related wear. Now the car may still die from wear but I'll be darned if that wear was a result of my not changing the oil frequent enough.. if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen as a result of something beyond my control and not because I was a tightwad or was too lazy (not saying that about anyone here) to bring it in to a shop 3x a year for a change, let alone do it myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DGXR
My Tacoma 2.7 calls for 5k OCI with conventional. Now well out of warranty, I am doing 7500 with synthetic and I am confident that the engine will happily go 400k+. There are many reasons why this is a good idea:
Large oil capacity (5.5qt) for the engine size
M1 synthetic oil rated for 10k intervals (large cushion)
Using high quality oil filters
Toyota 2.7 2TR-FE engine is not known to be hard on oil
Virtually zero short trips (oil nearly always reaches full temp and stays there awhile)
Never tow and occasionally haul
Driving around 11k per year (oil service every 8 months)

It's now at 155k and runs like new.

You sir have put more thought into defining your drain interval than probably 99% of the motorists out there. Good on you..I mean that. You very well could see +400k miles if you keep paying that much attention to your vehicles maintenance.ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
The more I read and research - the more I come back to the defacto standard of the synthetic oil 5K mile OCI with a good oil filter as being about best if you want to keep a vehicle running past 250K miles .

*First , TBN is not the be all - end all in determining how long you should go with an OCI .

*Next , by 5K miles of mixed driving (majority of what we all do) the oil is getting dirty , more abrasive with deposits , fuel dilution starts climbing , etc. so the oil should be replaced .

*Vehicle manufacturers are in business to sell new vehicles - the 7.5K to 10K mile OCI recommendations are only listed in the OM to get you to 100K miles (in most cases) .

*Castrol EDGE EP and M1 EP stating they can do a 20K OCI is marketing (and dangerous marketing at that) only possibly realistic if you do 100% high way travel ; At most I would run a 6K - 7K mile OCI .

*More vehicles today (and growing) are GDI / Turbo engines where by the 5K Mile OCI protects against fuel dilution and soot (abrasive) to keep levels down to an acceptable level .

*European BMW , Mercedes , etc. OCI's of 10K or more just can't be good for ultimate engine up keep long term unless driven on the German Autobahn full time .

*With previous synthetic oil 6K + OCI's with Sea Foam added last 150 miles - oil would get noticeably darker ; at synthetic oil 5K mile OCI's Sea Foam added last 150 miles showed little oil darkening .

* With a synthetic oil 5K OCI I notice less metal shavings in my plastic oil drain catcher afterwards versus 6K + OCI's .

*Disclaimer* : Your mileage can and will vary from what I have listed - however in modern engines using an approx. 5 qrt. sump I believe the 5K OCI is about the best recipe with a synthetic oil for keeping an engine running well past 250K miles ...

Oh ya, well you should have a look at a sample just taken from someone who ran 15000 miles on a interval and when sampled Blackstone even recommended 20k. Amsoil ss series. All highway of course. But hey it's your money, you can waste it anyway you like.

It all depends on your oil and how you drive, and vehicle as well. But don't tell me every vehicle needs a 5 k oil interval. It all depends on your situation and car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
I see many cars with 250,000+ miles on the odo running jiffy lube oil and filters.

True, but what is the condition of those engines with that regimen? Man of those engines could be down on horsepower and MPG and generally running rough compared to the same engines that ran synthetic.

With all the deals out there it isn't exactly costly to run synthetic at 5k intervals so why not go for it? Conventional oil is virtually obsolete IMO.

Nope. Not interested in UOA's. My 5K OCI with filter change every other time is the right plan. The cost "savings" for extending beyond 5K is too small to calculate. Airing tires up to the correct pressure wil save LOTS more money than extending an OC interval. Oil is CHEAP.

Originally Posted by gfh77665

Nope. Not interested in UOA's. My 5K OCI with filter change every other time is the right plan. The cost "savings" for extending beyond 5K is too small to calculate. Airing tires up to the correct pressure wil save LOTS more money than extending an OC interval. Oil is CHEAP.

Extending an OCI from 5k to 7.5k will result in a cost savings of one -third, which is well more than you will save by airing up tires, and hardly "too small to calculate."

But I infer you are even less interested in math than you are in information.

Cheapskates be like "your 5k mile oil changes hurt my wallets feelings" 5k oil changes here too, glad all us smart people think alike.

Back