Best Oil for 2019 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel?

Hi folks, Long time since I have been on the forum. Retired from the mail route so I don't use as much oil now. However, one of my sons bought a new truck this summer so he could pull his 11,000 pound plus horse trailer. He is now ready for his first oil change and asked me about which old is best, Mobil 1 or Shell Rotella, both in 5W-40. He also says the truck requires the new CK-4 specification. So I did some searching here on the forum and could not find any information that I can interpret. Any opinions on why one oil would be better than the other? Thanks.

Last edited:
I've used Rotella 5w-40 in the Duramax for over 7 years now and I'm happy with it. I have had some of the Mobil 1 but I didn't see any significant advantage and its $4 more a jug when its on Rollback. Oh by the way I do pull with it my 14,000 LBS DRV.

Last edited:
Ford has a Motorcraft 5/40 HD oil now, maybe consider that if hes under warranty? And a Motorcraft filter to be sure while youre there?

I have used the Rotella T6 5W40 and Chevron Delo synthetic 5W40. All of this has been CJ-4 as I bought a few oil changes worth of CJ-4 when CK-4 was just coming out and many oils were not yet on the Ford approved list. That has changed, but still some are missing. And I continue to find CJ-4 oil at Walmart.

He plans on using the Motorcraft filter, but is undecided on the oil. I just looked up Amsoil 5W-40 and it meets both CJ-4 and CK-4 specs. That is what I would use, but I have been using Amsoil products for decades.

Originally Posted by 96 Cherokee
I just looked up Amsoil 5W-40 and it meets both CJ-4 and CK-4 specs. That is what I would use, but I have been using Amsoil products for decades.

According to the API EOLCS listing the 5W-40 (DEO) product is CJ-4, not CK-4. It does list Amsoil "AM3024" and "AM3034" as CK-4, what products are those?

But neither one is on the Ford approved oil list.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Almost any ck oil will probably be fine
I was using Valvoline PB 5w40 for awhile with good UOA but I switched to the 15w40 version and that is getting good UOA as well.

Ford has a list of the approved oils https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf

Any oil on this list should be fine

Agree with this - I would stick to the oils listed on BeerCan provided list, for warranty period at least. FORD WSS-M2C171-F1 spec'd oils

I agree find a CJ-4 (any) or if a CK-4 then it should be on the list.

I would also check out the container as you may get a container that does not mention the Ford spec.

Does anyone know (Rotella T6 5W40 CK-4 for example) if they slightly changed the formulation slightly to get on the list as they were not originally on the Ford list?

There are a lot of good oils out there. Any from the F1 list referenced above should do fine. I have used Redline oil in mine. It's not on a list but everything I knew about oil suggested it was the best. Now I question that. I don't question that Redline is good oil, but I do question if there's such a thing as "better". At 13 qts/oil change, expensive synthetics add up. I'll be switching to a cheaper oil from the F1 list soon.

The following products meet the WSS-M2C171-F1 spec:

Listed by brand name, viscosity, and supplier.

Ford Motor Company:
Motorcraft Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil 10W30 Ford Motor Company
Motorcraft Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil 15W40 Ford Motor Company
Motorcraft Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil 5W40 Ford Motor Company

SOPUS:
Rotella T6 0W-40 Full Synthetic 0W40 Shell International Petroleum Company
Rotella T4 Triple Protection 10W30 Shell
Rotella® T5 Synthetic Blend SAE 10W-30 10W30 Shell Lubricants
Rotella T3 Fleet 15W40 Shell
Rotella T4 Triple Protection SAE 15W-40 15W40 Shell
Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 15W40 Shell
Rotella T6 15W-40 15W40 Shell
Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 5W40 Shell Lubricants

Chevron:
Delo 400 SDE 10W30 Chevron

Mobil:
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40 0W40 ExxonMobil
Mobil HDEO 10W30 ExxonMobil
Mobil HDEO 15W40 ExxonMobil

Valvoline:
Premium Blue Extreme 5W40 Valvoline
All-Fleet Plus 10W30 Valvoline
All-Fleet Plus E900 10W30 Valvoline
Heavy-Duty 10W30 Valvoline
All-Fleet Plus 15W40 Valvoline
All-Fleet Plus E900 15W40 Valvoline
Heavy Duty 15W40 Valvoline
NextGen Heavy Duty 15W40 Valvoline

Citgo:
CITGARD® 600 Engine Oil 10W30 CITGO Petroleum Corporation
CITGARD® 700 Synthetic Blend Engine Oil 10W30 CITGO Petroleum Corporation
Mystik® JT-8® Synthetic Blend Super Heavy Duty Engine Oil 10W30 CITGO Petroleum Corporation
CITGARD 600 Engine Oil 15W40 CITGO Petroleum Corporation
CITGARD® 700 Synthetic Blend Engine Oil 15W40 CITGO Petroleum Corporation
Milemaster 15W40 CITGO Petroleum Corporation
Mystik® JT-8® Synthetic Blend Super Heavy Duty Engine Oil 15W40 CITGO Petroleum Corporation
CITGARD® SYNDURANCE® Plus Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil 5W30 CITGO Petroleum Corporation
CITGARD® SYNDURANCE® Plus Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil 5W40 CITGO Petroleum Corporation
Mystik® JT-8® Synthetic Engine Oil 5W40 CITGO Petroleum Corporation

Tractor Supply Company:
Traveller 15W40 Tractor Supply Company

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/searchdiesel.asp

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
There are quite a few you left off your post list.

Yes, I left many off.
I only posted those popular brands that are widely available in the States.
And, there are likely a few more that can be added to "the list."
And yes, I posted those brands "I" would likely use.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SteveG4

Yes, I left many off.
smile.gif

So nice of you to bias the information already offered via link on this very topic.

You know best - others should follow.

What is really telling is the brands on the Ford approved list that are CK-4, which Ford had such a fit with with CK-4 came on the scene. And it really makes a difference as most HDEO's on the shelf are now CK-4. Yet even while Ford was spewing its vitriol about CK-4, it was putting several CK-4 HDEO's on the list, and so differentiates them from the others on the list by stating the CK-4 classification.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by SteveG4

Yes, I left many off.
smile.gif

So nice of you to bias the information already offered via link on this very topic.

You know best - others should follow.

We're all biased. I gave popular choices.
Did you read my list most -- 2 posts before the one you're now commenting on? The link is there.
Good grief. Thanks for your less-than-informative critique.

Last edited:
Back