How many oil filters do you normally keep in your stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 12 Mobil 1 filters for my 2018 Jeep. I normally don't stash that many, but they were $4 on clearance. I bought them at 3 different Walmart locations and left 4 or 5 on the shelf each time, trying to give others a shot at them.

I probably have 1 or 2 Fram Ultras for my 08 Jeep, one Ford Motorcraft for the 2015 van, one Ultra for the same van, and one Ultra for the 04 Grand Cherokee. I normally try to keep at least one, and since they are good for 20k miles, I think one is enough. I don't run them that far, but knowing I could eases the need to keep more in the stash.

I will probably settle ultimately on two for each vehicle, most likely Fram Ultras, unless I find a deal on another premium filter.

I have built up a bit of an oil stash, too, with 10 quarts of Rotella Gas Truck 5w20 and 18 quarts (6 quart boxes) of Havoline Pro DS 0w20. I'll probably load up on more Havoline, since it is priced well and the boxes stack easily.

Today's prices (sometimes with rebates) on good oil and filters makes it a great time to build up a stash.

Originally Posted by ZZman
I know many have a large stash of oil, but what about filters?

I usually buy filters as needed. The most I ever keep in a stash is 2. One for each of our daily drivers.

Zero, typically. Same for oil.

I keep one or two oil changes on hand for each vehicle. I have to order the kit for my VW online so it's nice to have one on hand for when I need it. I used to stash but with longer OCI's now I only change the oil once a year or so. It happened more than once where a vehicle I stashed oil and filters for was wrecked or traded in, sold etc and I had a large stash that was useless.

One or two of each of the Mann filters my Volvos take, so that I'm not caught short and I can just get on with the change when a nice day comes around. Same principle with keeping oil in stock.

I order filters 3-4 at a time, for each vehicle. I reorder after installing the last one (zero left).

Originally Posted by Skippy722
None. I buy them as needed.

It's so rare they are on sale I just buy them as needed

But oil I have 6 5q jugs at the moment but I do all my families oil changes and use up to that amount in a year.

I have 18 filters for 7 vehicles.
3 are OEM filters from a 4 pack for the Santa Fe (saved $4/filter buying the 4 pack).
7 are for the Scion (was also for a Chevy Tracker that was traded), I have too many of those since I do an annual change (Carquest Blue, Bosch D+, M1, TG).
2 are for the F150 (mine and brother in laws use same, a M1 and a TG).
1 is for Hyundai (Supertech)
3 are for my motorcycle (TG)
2 were for my mom's Saturn, which she traded, so I have no use for (they were free after rebate and clearance, so no loss), but Car51 and I are trading some filters (he gets these, I get some for Hyundai/Kia).

My average cost is $2.82/filter ($1.89@ if you take out the expensive Hyundai cartridges).
I have no plans to buy more till these are gone unless there is another clearance of good filters (I made myself pass on the NAPA Platinum sale).
The only filter "stash" I plan on having once the above are gone will be for the Hyundai filters for the Santa Fe if I can keep finding the OEM for $7 each (normal is ~$13), otherwise I will just buy either Supertech or Fram orange can's as needed.

Originally Posted by PimTac
It's a fifteen minute drive to the Mazda dealer. They have plenty of filters on the shelves.

What's the wear and tear cost of a 30 minute round trip drive to your Maza dealer?

Seems cheaper to buy them in qty of 6 or more and do it only once....whether locally or on line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZZman
I know many have a large stash of oil, but what about filters?

I usually buy filters as needed. The most I ever keep in a stash is 2. One for each of our daily drivers.

I buy them on sale when I can.. maybe 10 or 12 right now. I keep extra if I decide to do a flush I'll put in a filter for like the first 50 miles following the flush to catch any chunks then swap it out for a fresh filter that'll be in there for the remainder of the oci.

Originally Posted by sw99
Ok so I actually have 72 filters in the shop. I guess I have issues...

Ok..i thought my 10 or 12 was "issues"...I feel better now, thanks!...ðŸ‘

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back