Interesting Observations: Shell, Castrol, and Mobil 1 in BMW N52

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had always being interested in the difference between different engine oils and after trying Castrol Edge 0w40 (US version, made in Belgium), Mobil 1 FS 0w40, and Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 (EU 1L bottles), here are some observations i found quite interesting.

The car: 2007 E90 BMW 325i EU N52B25 KP 2.5 engine, has worn valve stem seals and may or may not have the inferior piston rings that burns more oil.

Personal preference wise I have to admit I have had the worst impression with Mobil 1, in fact I have used both new FS formula and another Asian version that's a gold bottle, which i believe is the same content as the extended change version. Both Mobil 1 gets low quite quickly and i had to add 1L every 2000 or so KMs (even with Liqui Moly Engine oil saver). Engine feel and gas mileage was no different than Castrol. But Mobil 1 is the cheapest in my local shops.

(A lot of you guys and some reputable mechanics in my area swears by Mobil 1, not doubting it's performance in other aspects but how are you guys doing oil consumption wise?)

Castrol Edge had the best (lowest) oil consumption, new oil once lasted with 6000+ KM without loss (same Liqui Moly Engine Oil Saver added during oil change). No noticeable performance or gas mileage difference compared to Mobil 1.

Recently put some Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 EU version in the car because it was on sale and I wanted some 1L bottles to keep in the trunk, then noticed a decent change in gas mileage (8.3L/100KM vs. 8.9 with Castrol, exact same stretch of 550km road with cruise control on most of the time), which is a nice surprise. Although if I remember correctly that's probably because it has a lower viscosity at 100C compared to the others, BUT, so far I haven't noticed any increase in oil consumption and it (with no additive) might even do better than Mobil 1 (with Liqui Moly) at least.

Oh and all oils except the FS Mobil 1 were LL-01 certified (gold bottle Mobil 1 0w40 carries LL-01), although again i read somewhere it doesn't really matter much for NA engines?

Anyhow, just some real life observations that i thought was interesting to share.

Last edited:
Consumption with M1 when you first use it is not uncommon. Don't know why exactly, but with continued use it often tapers off.

I was thinking of switching my F150 from Motorcraft synthetic blend to M1 but certainly don't want consumption to begin occurring.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I was thinking of switching my F150 from Motorcraft synthetic blend to M1 but certainly don't want consumption to begin occurring.

M1 is only a few bucks more than per jug and a much better oil IMO. However, you can buy QSUD for the same price as MC and it IS a better oil than MC.

In my case it simply gets worse with the oil ages. Also for those who doesn't have oil consumption to begin with you probably shouldn't worry about it, remember my valve stem seals are already worn.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Then use Castrol to save money

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

M1 is only a few bucks more than per jug and a much better oil IMO. However, you can buy QSUD for the same price as MC and it IS a better oil than MC.

Another funny thing, in my area Edge and M1 are U.S. version imports (when I lived in the states they are almost the same price at Walmart), M1 is slightly less expensive than Edge.

Shell Helix Ultra is EU version import and is noticeably less expensive than both Castrol and M1. So in my particular case with both lower oil price and better gas mileage, I might end up keep using Shell if oil consumption is comparable to Edge, which is also the best money saving route. (Shell 0w40 is the same price, i only chose 5w40 because of the 1L bottles, although 0w40 technically isn't LL-01 but i just have a N52...)

I guess what i found really funny is Shell has the lowest retail price, BMW also switched to Shell and most people would say because it's cheaper for BMW to buy in bulk, yet it somehow performed relatively well. Perhaps they are really onto something with the GTL tech...

NOT trying to start another oil debate though, still a Castrol fan, it never failed me with my old VW Passat. I do still consider M1 a quality oil, i did not experience any adverse effects other than the oil consumption which the car itself was the one largely to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back