How many oil filters do you normally keep in your stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many have a large stash of oil, but what about filters?

I usually buy filters as needed. The most I ever keep in a stash is 2. One for each of our daily drivers.

Right now I have 21 oil filters for five vehicles (including two friends) and two pieces of OPE. Eleven of them have either synthetic or blended media. I bought cases of six from eBay and Zoro to even out the shipping costs. All filters are stored inside the house, and any one that's more than two years old I wrapped in plastic wrap.

I guess I have too much time on my hands.

I have 6 or 7 OEM Toyota canister filter elements, because I bought the wrong ones for the GS and had to buy again.
Probably 5 or 6 Honda/Acura M1 and XG7317 filters, cuz I service numerous friend's cars.
1 Toyota V6 ST for our house cleaner lady.
Couple odd Nissan, 1 Kia filter that I will never use.

Lotsa drain plug washers and a few spare drain plugs. I hate dogged up threads.

Last edited:
I order 6 to 12 filters at a time for the Sonic and the Lacrosse . Re-order when I get low .

Ordering several at a time " spreads out " the freight cost .

I usually order filters by the case, so as to get cheapest cost. Box of 10, reorder when I get down to 1 or none. So at one point I might have had 30 filters on the shelf, maybe 35 if we toss in cabin filters--but odds are, some of the boxes were half full, so maybe 20-ish filters.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I order 6 to 12 filters at a time for the Sonic and the Lacrosse . Re-order when I get low .

Ordering several at a time " spreads out " the freight cost .

Likewise. All three of our vehicles use the same filter, so the last time I ordered from RockAuto, I ordered a dozen Baldwin oil filters. At two changes per year per vehicle, that order should last me two years.

I USED to stock 100 to 150 quarts of oil and 10-20 oil filters at all times. I decided to get away from the storage. I've been using up all my oil and filters. I have about 20 quarts of oil left and about 3 oil filters.

I'm going to keep ONE oil change in stock and ONE oil filter in stock, for every vehicle and piece of equipment that I own, from here on out. Im tired of storing the stuff. Im going to let Walmart be my storage.

Oil filters that sit on the shelf for a few years are usually rusty inside. I dont have that problem with a fresh off the shelf oil filter.

When it comes close to oil change time I'll go to Walmart and buy oil and filters so when I get the urge to do a service on the vehicles the parts will be waiting. If I find some on sale I'll buy two. I see little reason to stock up.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I'm going to keep ONE oil change in stock and ONE oil filter in stock, for every vehicle and piece of equipment that I own, from here on out. Im tired of storing the stuff. Im going to let Walmart be my storage.

That's what I do. They have filters for all 3 of my cars, so I generally keep 1 or 2 in stock, along with enough oil for a change. They're 5 minutes away if I need anything right away.

Currently 16 for 4 cars. Mostly Fram, mostly from Rock Auto but also did the local thing and bought some from Napa and Canadian Tire. All on sale and some as cheap as $3.33 including shipping. No purchases planned for some time. Here's a pic.

8F9A99B9-933D-43FE-9980-DC888A8676CA.jpeg

Last edited:
My family always asks me "what do you want for Christmas?" I give them the filter numbers I need and they buy me a few, so I keep 5-10 on hand. Interestingly, they end up on their cars, since I do their oil changes, LOL.

I have had 2-3 filters when I have purchased from RockAuto, and if I decide to continue using Wix, I will probably order their $4.50 Wix filters for my cars (order 2-3 at a time), and then spread the shipping around. If I decide to go with Fram Ultra, I'll probably just let WM stock my filters and buy them for $8.50/9 whenever I need to do an oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back