Maxlife ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Anyone ever tried maxlife synthetic Atf in a BMW 6HP transmission? I know it works in the older 5HP transmissions but I don't hear much about people using it in the 6 speed automatic transmissions....Thanks

The spec is: Shell M1375.4. and ZF Lifeguard 6 is the approved fluid for the ZF 6HP transmissions.

I'm not sure (don't own a Beemer or ZF trans) but I seem to recall there was a thread about something very similar and it said there were special things in the ZF fluid that were not present in the MaxLife, and henceforth made it a bad idea. I'd double and triple check your info before doing it, likely not a cheap fix if its something caused by the fluid and you're left picking up the repair bill.

Maxlife has that spec on their MaxLife ATF PDS, so I would say it is safe to use.
No I have not used it in that specific application, but have used it in multiple other vehicles that have the spec listed without issue, as have many here (and sure millions in the real world).

I have a 6HP (2010 135i) and had a heck of a time trying to find a decently priced compatible fluid for the car. I ended up using Pentosin ATF-1 (part # 1058206), which so far has worked just fine with no issues. I have about 15,000 miles on the fluid at this point. http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentosin_ATF1.pdf

Pentosin ATF-1 lists ZF No. 5671 090 255 under "OE REFERENCE NUMBERS/RECOMMENDATIONS" which happens to be Lifeguard 6.

Pentosin is another good Atf alternative for 6HP transmissions, A lot of guys that have Bmw"s, Jaguars and Land Rovers is also using Ford Motorcraft Mercon SP in there ZF 6 speed transmissions, It's a few more dollars than Maxlife Atf.

Why is it when I see these multi vehicle transmission fluid ATF it never recommends that it will work as ATF+4. They seem to be able to work and are recommended for lots of different types but not ATF+4. Is there something about atf+4 that makes it perhaps a higher quality fluid??

Originally Posted by R1jake
Is there something about atf+4 that makes it perhaps a higher quality fluid??

I don't think "quality" level factors in whatsoever. It's all about viscosity, additives, etc. Having certain additives over another doesn't make a fluid better either, it's for compatibility.

Originally Posted by mattd
Mercon SP is obsolete and is superseded by mercon LV

No, it isn't.

Mercon SP is specially designed for ZF 6HP (6R60, 6R75) transmissions.
Originally Posted by charmer37
Hello, Anyone ever tried maxlife synthetic Atf in a BMW 6HP transmission? I know it works in the older 5HP transmissions but I don't hear much about people using it in the 6 speed automatic transmissions....Thanks

Mercon SP will work just fine, and is the cheapest "spec" fluid avaialble.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by R1jake
Is there something about atf+4 that makes it perhaps a higher quality fluid??

I don't think "quality" level factors in whatsoever. It's all about viscosity, additives, etc. Having certain additives over another doesn't make a fluid better either, it's for compatibility.

ATF+4 isn't a DEXRON clone it's coefficient of friction is different.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Mercon SP is obsolete and is superseded by mercon LV

No, it isn't.

Mercon SP is specially designed for ZF 6HP (6R60, 6R75) transmissions.
Originally Posted by charmer37

Mercon SP will work just fine, and is the cheapest "spec" fluid avaialble.

As far as ford applications it is anyway. They don't have SP rated fluid anymore. They give you LV in place of it. No dealers around here carry SP anymore.

Last edited:
As far as ford applications it is anyway. They don't have SP rated fluid anymore. They give you LV in place of it. No dealers around here carry SP anymore.

That doesn't make it right. LV is not an SP equivalent.

You can still walk right into any Ford dealer and order SP. On Motorcraft's own website it says not to use LV in an SP application.

I have been using Maxlife LV fluid in my 5R110 for over 80k miles without a problem with more than half of those towing (granted it does not have factory clutches but the fluid is more geared toward solenoid function in this transmission). My parts guy at the local dealership said that the engineers say that is LV back spec'd for SP rated applications.

Last edited:
SP is still available and required to be used in specific applications. Ford stated LV could be used in place of SP in the Torqshift only. I still stock SP as well as V, LV, ULV, F, and others.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I'm not sure (don't own a Beemer or ZF trans) but I seem to recall there was a thread about something very similar and it said there were special things in the ZF fluid that were not present in the MaxLife, and henceforth made it a bad idea. I'd double and triple check your info before doing it, likely not a cheap fix if its something caused by the fluid and you're left picking up the repair bill.

I don't buy it. When everyone from ExxonMobil down to Lubegard states thier multivehicle ATF is suitable for the transmission then there is nothing special about the ZF fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back