Motorcraft Spark Plugs on Ebay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm going to replace the plugs and coil/boots the 5.4 due what I believe is a misfire. I bought them last time from Amazon for 8.40/each. I see several vendors have a pack of 8 on Ebay for 24.99. This seems crazy cheap, would you guys buy them? Such a thing as counterfeit plugs? All of the sellers have pretty good overall ratings.

Yes, spark plug counterfeiting has become a problem in recent years. I bought a set of ACDelco iridium plugs from Amazon that were counterfeits. The order was even fulfilled by Amazon and not a third party seller. There are a lot of knockoff Champion plugs in circulation, too.

Motorcraft SP-509s, most likely counterfeits, can be bought directly from China on AliExpress at 8/$20.50. I would guess that's where the cheap Ebay ones are coming from. I would instead try Advance Auto Parts. $55 for 8 with free shipping after 25% coupon code. Buy once, cry once.

Screenshot_20191014-163533_Opera.jpg

Last edited:
I bought some phony NGK's that wreaked havoc giving me intermittent misfires. Buy from a reputable source and skip the headache.

I'd go through Rockauto if you are used to buying online. Cheaper than the local chain stores and I've never had a problem with counterfeit parts in the time I've bought from them (10 yrs or so).

The SP509 really isn't cheaper on Rockauto compared to Amazon so just buy from a reputable source.

Last edited:
Counterfeit spark plugs are a huge issue on eBay. Definitely have to get them from the dealer, auto parts store, or rock auto to make sure you get legit ones. I had a problem with counterfeit spark plugs from Amazon.

Originally Posted by Kira
Tascaparts.com (a Rhode Island auto group I think) and Fordpartsgiant.com (?) would be solid sources for genuine parts, right?

Why?

They are a legit source. I have bought backordered/obsolete parts from them and sold to them as well. I used their Volvo dealer for the struts on my old Volvo S60R.

One thing about buying parts online and warranties, with a Ford or Motorcraft part in order to process a warranty claim, we need a receipt showing the part was purchased from a Ford or Lincoln dealer.

Originally Posted by joegreen
Counterfeit spark plugs are a huge issue on eBay. Definitely have to get them from the dealer, auto parts store, or rock auto to make sure you get legit ones. I had a problem with counterfeit spark plugs from Amazon.

IMO counterfeit parts in general are a huge issue.

Hmm - Wonder if counterfeit plugs were put in my Fiesta at the Factory in Mexico. Other things were not right either. Cooling system was not burped and not enough refrigerant was installed either.

Originally Posted by qdeezie
I'd rather go with real Autolites than to go with what are likely knockoff Motorcrafts.

Are Autolite's still made in China ?

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I'd rather go with real Autolites than to go with what are likely knockoff Motorcrafts.

Last set I saw was from Mexico.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

Last set I saw was from Mexico.

Last set of plugs I bought were Motorcraft for my Ecoboost
I've heard some mention that the MC plugs were made by NGK due to the insulator cracks on the original ones

Last edited:
I've heard some mention that the MC plugs were made by NGK due to the insulator cracks on the original ones

They don't tell us who the vendors are, but a lot of the newer ones are identical to NGKs, especially the ones that are also used on Mazda. The Mazda ones tend to have the NGK part numbers on them with the Mazda marking.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

They don't tell us who the vendors are, but a lot of the newer ones are identical to NGKs, especially the ones that are also used on Mazda. The Mazda ones tend to have the NGK part numbers on them with the Mazda marking.

NGK making MC plugs is fine with me
I've used NGK for years in a lot of different motors from motorcycles to boat motors and lawn equipment and they always performed flawless

Some of the ACDelco plugs are NGK also. Funny to see all the "USA only" people squirm. Like the couple customers I have had with Mazdas who demand parts be "Made in the USA" when their VIN begins with a J.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Some of the ACDelco plugs are NGK also. Funny to see all the "USA only" people squirm. Like the couple customers I have had with Mazdas who demand parts be "Made in the USA" when their VIN begins with a J.

That is funny !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back