Switching from conventional to synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your opinions of switching to synthetic oil from conventional after 12 years but only 100k kms.

My understanding is that switching to synthetic on high mileage cars will lead to leaks. But not sure what's defined as high mileage and how this relates to how old the actual car is.

Would you switch to synthetic?

WIth all promos going on, it seems you end up paying the same price for both conventional and synthetic (if you are patient and only buy the oil when promos are running).

2ndly, with synthetic oil I believe it's a good idea to switch to a synthetic filter. They seem to be rated for 20k+ kms vs the conventional filters. Am I correct in assuming that while I have to change oil every year even if my kms are low, I am safe to leave the same filter since the filter doesn't decompose like oil does? So basically change it every 2nd or even 3rd oil change (if I end up changing it only once a year due to low kms)

Form my readings, it seems using synthetic does not really prolong the life of oil and be able to change it less often than the 1 year mark with conventional oil (I do about 5-10k kms a year)

It used to be that if you ran conventional for a long time, say 60,000 miles, then going to synthetic could cause leaks and other problems. I don't think that is the case anymore. If you said this vehicle had 150k miles on it then I would hesitate switching.

I would try it. Keep an eye on things.

most of todays "synthetics" are just highly processed CRUDE oils, better for sure as they are cleaner + more stable!

It's always important to use a motor oil that is rated and specified for your vehicle. If your car is 10-12 years old with 100km, I'd be reluctant to switch to full synthetic. I'd rather use a blend in that case. Yes, use an extended life filter for two change intervals in a vehicle that's been properly maintained.

what car and engine ?

No one could advise properly without knowing the situation . On the flip side
Conventional oil does a better job than advertisers wish to let on and with proper
maintenance will run just as far as synth

I had a 99 Civic with a 1.6L that after a year of owning in 2011 I switched it to M1 5w20 high mileage. I mainly did it because living in east Idaho the car wouldn't start below 0 reliably. It actually helped reduce the small leak I had in addition to starting reliably and I abused that car for 5 more years running pizza all over. YMMV, but it worked for me. I switched it to syn at 120k miles and drove it to 200k without any issue before having to sell it.

Last edited:
Car is civic 2007, 1.8L

After promos and rebates, price for synthetic and regular is almost the same (within 5$). But I only drive the car 5k-10k at most in a year. And it is my understanding that synthetics (unfortunately) needs to be changed as often as conventional if going by time alone (not driving the rated synthetic/conventional), which is usually 1 year (my manual calls 1 year as well).

Is it possible to prolong the oil change with a synthetic if not doing the kms rated by changing let's say, every 1.5 years?

Originally Posted by messerschmitt
Car is civic 2007, 1.8L

After promos and rebates, price for synthetic and regular is almost the same (within 5$). But I only drive the car 5k-10k at most in a year. And it is my understanding that synthetics (unfortunately) needs to be changed as often as conventional if going by time alone (not driving the rated synthetic/conventional), which is usually 1 year (my manual calls 1 year as well).

Is it possible to prolong the oil change with a synthetic if not doing the kms rated by changing let's say, every 1.5 years?

It is my current (other members too) OCI - 10k km / 18 month. Works well enough with a decent quality synthetic. Group III synthetics are better processed plain old crude/mineral oil. Check this https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ , yes its on the main page.
Yes, it is better in every way you look at it and no older cars dont leak from changing to synthetics. Its the same stuff, just cleaned of the nasty sulphurs/ waxes better. Go for it.

Originally Posted by PimTac
It used to be that if you ran conventional for a long time, say 60,000 miles, then going to synthetic could cause leaks and other problems. I don't think that is the case anymore. If you said this vehicle had 150k miles on it then I would hesitate switching.

I would try it. Keep an eye on things.

Heck I did that 15 years ago without a hitch! I'm sure it happens but my money says it was going to happen soon anyway. Too many old wives tales here on BITOG.

So guys, looking at time and low kms driven a year (5000), would a synthetic last more and be in better condition with time vs a conventional? It seems all articles and people are saying that while synthetics have some positive additives and do last more in terms of mileage (up to double?), time wise, they don't last any longer (if years elapses with little driving).

Like what DrDanger said, would a synthetic hold up better to be changed every 18 months vs a conventional which my car manual says 12 months if mileage not hit? To me it makes sense it would, but like I said, many say it's no difference.

My car has 0 leaking or oil burning. Still the same level of oil on the dipstick as it got since the last oil change.

100,000 km is definitely not high mileage.

I'd just keep doing what you've been doing. Annual changes with SN dino oil.

But syn oil would work fine too, and if you really want to use it, do annual changes with syn oil.

Originally Posted by benjy
most of todays "synthetics" are just highly processed CRUDE oils, better for sure as they are cleaner + more stable!

Exactly.
Most of those old 'ideas' on synthetics no longer count because of what you state...

It doesn't matter what oil you use, synthetic or conventional, your engine will wear the same.
No, you will not develop leaks by switching to synthetic.

Forget the synthetic oil filter if your not going to change it at the same time as your engine oil, which is every year.

Ok, my thoughts, based on where you live, which I would consider more extreme colder weather, short tripping, low use vechicle.

Sure, if you can get the synthetic at the price that makes you happy, by all means, use it. It is more stable and your vehicle is used under what some might call "severe" conditions.
Meaning it does a lot of sitting around or short trips to have that little mileage every year.

So I would use the synthetic and a standard lower cost oil filter, change both every year. I never could see the point of changing oil and not the filter.

Last edited:
I would purchase the same brand of dino & synthetic oil . First oil change , 1 quart of synthetic & the rest dino . Each change after that , 1 additional quart of synthetic until you eventually end up 100% synthetic .

I say this as a precaution , in case the engine is sludged up . I read synthetic is a better " cleaner " than dino . You would not wish too much sludge hitting the pan , to quickly and messing things up . Seems like a slow cleaning would be better ?

Of course , if the engine has no / little sludge , probably does not matter .

As far as leaks , I do not know ?

I switched the Tacoma to synthetic at 120k miles and had zero issues. Has been well-maintained and garage kept.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
It doesn't matter what oil you use, synthetic or conventional, your engine will wear the same.

Forget the synthetic oil filter if your not going to change it at the same time as your engine oil, which is every year.

Ok, my thoughts, based on where you live, which I would consider more extreme colder weather, short tripping, low use vechicle.

Sure, if you can get the synthetic at the price that makes you happy, by all means, use it. It is more stable and your vehicle is used under what some might call "severe" conditions.
Meaning it does a lot of sitting around or short trips to have that little mileage every year.

So I would use the synthetic and a standard lower cost oil filter, change both every year. I never could see the point of changing oil and not the filter.

Well interestingly, Honda manual calls for filter change every other oil change. And I think Honda's filter is the equivalent of regular's FRAM filter, just paper inside, vs the synthetic FRAM. The trip computer self minder usually asks for the oil change every 8000km, with conventional oil. So according to Honda, their OEM filter would be changed every 16000km (and like I mentioned I doubt it's any better than a regular FRAM filter)

Originally Posted by DGXR
I switched the Tacoma to synthetic at 120k miles and had zero issues. Has been well-maintained and garage kept.

How many years old was Tacoma when you switched from dyno to synthetic?

Switch to synthetic without worry.
But....do you need to?? The proper conventional oil, changed regularly, will do an adequate job of lubricating your engine.
Replace the filter every other time if the money is an issue.
Full synthetic oil and changing the filter at each oil change is more of a "feel-good" thing than being necessary to prolong engine life.

Originally Posted by messerschmitt
Originally Posted by alarmguy

Well interestingly, Honda manual calls for filter change every other oil change. And I think Honda's filter is the equivalent of regular's FRAM filter, just paper inside, vs the synthetic FRAM. The trip computer self minder usually asks for the oil change every 8000km, with conventional oil. So according to Honda, their OEM filter would be changed every 16000km (and like I mentioned I doubt it's any better than a regular FRAM filter)

Originally Posted by DGXR

How many years old was Tacoma when you switched from dyno to synthetic?

Well, Honda gave you the answer then! :eek:) Oil filter every two years for you.
Me, Heck, if I am changing the oil once a year I am going to change the filter at the same time, knowing I dont have too and pretty much using any 3 or 4 dollar filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back