Coil springs, is there a top and bottom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a broken rear coil spring in the Escalade. They don't make the spring the goes with that truck anymore so I'm forced to install an alternate.

The old progressive springs seems to be the same on both sides.
[Linked Image]

The new progressive OEM springs (made for 02-06 tahoes, suburbans) appears to be tighter wound on one side vs the other.
[Linked Image]

Is there a top and bottom? Does it matter?

If the coil ends are wound the same with no difference in coil spacing then no, if its tighter wound on one end that would usually go up top.

Last edited:
If one of the coil rungs in wound in smaller diameter than the other, that would go up top. Another thing to look at is how the end of the rung is cut. Usually the squarest cut rung goes up against the stop on the bottom spring seat.

I put a set of AC Delco's from Rock auto on my Mercury this past April and have been happy with them.

My application, the bottom pigtails which sat on the arm needed to be pointing in a certain direction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Where did you purchase those at?

RA.

I see. They don't sell them for my Elantra. Trying to figure where to get some other than dealer.

I just thought of something I really didn't pay attention to when I took out the old springs. Is there a direction the pigtail at the very end of bottom of the spring should be facing? Should it be placed forward, backward, or does it not matter?

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I just thought of something I really didn't pay attention to when I took out the old springs. Is there a direction the pigtail at the very end of bottom of the spring should be facing? Should it be placed forward, backward, or does it not matter?

There is usually a stop of some sort on the spring housing for the bottom pigtail to rest against. Turn the spring until it rests against there and can't turn any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back