2004 Toyota Sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy needs new front LOADED STRUTS for his 2004 Sienna LE 2WD/7 passenger 150K miles. Looking for the best/longest lasting brand w/o going OE.

In addition to what I mentioned above, the driver side front spring is broken and the fact that the vehicle has 150K miles is why he want the whole loades assemblies.

This way his mechanic can just remove & install. He doesn't want to spend the money on OE Toyota struts, mounts/caps & springs separately and the fact that it's a 15 year old minivan even though it's in very good shape.

KYB Strut Plus seems to be the best quick strut for your Sienna. In fact, KYB is the OE supplier for most Japanese cars, including your Sienna
smile.gif

I have put on the KYB loaded strut for a 2004 Sienna that I owned previously.

Actually, I put the KYB for the rear shock also.

It was good, I drove it for 2 more years from around 180k to almost 250k.

Actually all of the struts in this '04 Sienna are fine however, there is 1 front spring that has broken and causing a terrible pull to that side.

I know it is a dillema whether to replace just the spring or the whole assembly at that mileage.

The control arm bushing is also tend to wear out in this van. Just FYI.
When that happens, it will click/noisy as the car is turned sharply.

Thank you JMJNet.
Yes, my buddy is ready to put in some money in this Sienna as the chassis is in impeccable condition for a northern vehicle. He is however, starting to have some repair issues but, he drives the snot out of the Sienna and takes it on long trips regularly.

His Dad gave it to him(~2-3 yrs ago) w/100K miles on it. And today, there is nary any rust to be found on this minivan. But, it's still a 15 yr old vehicle and repairs are inevitable at this point. I just don't know if he should just get rid of the Sienna for new car payments.

Yesterday my buddy also had his Sienna into a reputable shop which(other than the broken front spring), gave the overall condition of the vehicle an A+. So, he's still uncertain whether to keep repairing the Sienna as the needed repairs occur or get something else.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's being over-thought. It's 15 years old. Buy a decent quick strut without over thinking it. Good odds that something else will die before these wear out which may junk the van altogether. Failing that, is it a big deal if these mid range struts have to be replaced after say 5 years?

Originally Posted by supton
I wonder if it's being over-thought. It's 15 years old. Buy a decent quick strut without over thinking it. Good odds that something else will die before these wear out which may junk the van altogether. Failing that, is it a big deal if these mid range struts have to be replaced after say 5 years?
Well said.

It's a crapshoot really. I think Monroe OESpectrum and KYB are similar enough to each other. Ride won't be like OEM and both offer a lifetime warranty, Monroe being a little more generous due to wear.

The Critic said he's had to replace a few KYB shocks for leakage recently under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back