What is most popular oil brand in Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Common brands in the UK :-

- Castrol, Millers & Shell. Mobil is not as popular in general as it used to be, but still common for certain high VI grades like 0W40
- Fuchs and Elf have become more popular due to their competitive pricing. The Quantum (VW) brand oil is made by Fuchs
- Motul more common in higher end supercars and generally regarded as being expensive
- Liquimoly & Ravenol not common in the UK, though you can buy them.
- too many other less common brands to list - Rock Oil, Gulf, Granville, Comma,.....

Over here in NW Croatia most popular would be Shell, Total, ELF, Mobil, Valvoline and in recent years Motul is gaining share - probably overtook some of the older brands in the market.

There are other like Repsol, Rowe, INA and some but only at Metro, Bauhaus and similar stores.

Originally Posted by NuttCase

- Castrol, Millers & Shell. Mobil is not as popular in general as it used to be, but still common for certain high VI grades like 0W40
- Fuchs and Elf have become more popular due to their competitive pricing. The Quantum (VW) brand oil is made by Fuchs
- Motul more common in higher end supercars and generally regarded as being expensive
- too many other less common brands to list - Rock Oil, Gulf, Granville, Comma,.....

Mobil 1 0W40 it's a VI grade???
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by Cheburashka
Originally Posted by NuttCase

Mobil 1 0W40 it's a VI grade???
confused2.gif

Well it's all relative I guess, but with typical 0W40 VI into the 180s, you are at the higher end of the VI range here in the UK. Very few oils sold here have VI >190. Or did I mis-understand your comment? Even the 10w60 so called "supercar" oils have typically VI in the 170s.

in sweden, mobil, motul , castrol, shell , etc is easy to find. I do always order 60L from germany. (15 usd shpping). now I am going to try mannol, 20L mannol energy premium 5w30 api SN/CF / CH-4 , 55 Euro / 20L for my bmw 535D in the winter.

castrol is so overpriced here, most thinks its gold inside and the only thing to go with... a 4L jug castrol edge costs 51 USD online and around 90 USD in part-stores.

Last edited:
Since the real vs "fake" synthetic discussion has come up, has anyone seen the new Valvoline white bottle jugs marketed as syn blends?

I realize it's been said for some time that "Dino" 5w20 and 30's were technically blends, but oil companies never really took advantage of that as a marketing gain.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
[

That, and unlike the US, to maintain your warranty you have to have your car serviced with OEM quality parts at a tax registered garage.

Not true.
The car makers were pushing for legislation for years, to sew up the hapless punters / buyers of their cars, but the EU pushed back.
As long as you get your car serviced at a good independant and use OEM components and good (approved ) oils, the warranty stands.
[censored], you can even do it yourself, just be prepared to back up your workmanship and purchase of the proper bits with paperwork if it ever gets [censored] with a warrranty claim.
It's been thrashed out over the years and the makers have been left with a bloody nose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back