Conv When Car Manual Calls For Syn Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tech at Walmart says he now does one OCI per year on his 1995 Ford F150. He uses Castrol syn blend with a Fram oil filter and drives about 6k miles a year. He says the oil looks brand new when he drains it out. This truck now has only 58k on it and he bought it new.

Any current spec dino oil made today is a synthetic blend, don't pay the markup on a syn blend labeled oil!

Every major oil companies PDS that I looked up stated that their 5W20, 5W30 and many 10W30 conventional oils are actually a synblend.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
Originally Posted by PimTac
What is the engine in this Fiesta?

Mine has the 1.6 Liter non turbo 4.
I think it has about 124 HP.

Thanks for answering. For a smaller engine like that I wouldn't get too hung up on conventional or syn blend oils. Synthetics are competitively priced. Find a oils that meets the specs described in the manual and run with it.

That works out to 77.5 hp /L Small engines work very hard. Use the best real synthetic oil you can lay your hands on.

If this little 1.6L Fiesta engine was scaled up to a 5 litre Ford V8, the specific output would be 390 HP.

That ain't chump change!.

Mr. Luke, your Ford Fiesta's Owner's Manual says to look for the "Ford WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 5W-20)" specification, that is all. It does recommend the Motorcraft brand, but anything that says WSS-M2C945-A is the one to get. (Most conventionals on the shelf technically contain Group3 and/or esters in small amounts, maybe even a smidgeon of PAO, which allows the company to call them a blend.)

Spec numbers are on the back of the bottle or jug and on the internet.

What its made of doesn't matter as much as the WSS-M2C945-A spec itself.

One complication: A WSS-M2C945-B1 spec is highly recommended if you have the Ecoboost 1.0L turbo engine to avoid LSPI problems. This corresponds to the new "SN Plus". Any dexos1 oil will also work very well (tested for LSPI etc.).

https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=533204&docFormat=PDF
Ford WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 5W-20)
... or WSS-M2C945-B1 is the newer spec to use if you have a turbo engine.

Originally Posted by paoester
Mr. Luke, your Ford Fiesta's Owner's Manual says to look for the "Ford WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 5W-20)" specification, that is all. It does recommend the Motorcraft brand, but anything that says WSS-M2C945-A is the one to get. (Most conventionals on the shelf technically contain Group3 and/or esters in small amounts, maybe even a smidgeon of PAO, which allows the company to call them a blend.)

One complication: A WSS-M2C945-B1 spec is highly recommended if you have the Ecoboost 1.0L turbo engine to avoid LSPI problems. This corresponds to the new "SN Plus". Any dexos1 oil will also work very well (tested for LSPI etc.).

https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=533204&docFormat=PDF

This^^

The manual does "list" Motorcraft's synthetic blend for the US but for Canada, they leave off the "synthetic" reference entirely. As you point out, the spec number is all that matters at the end of the day.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Any current spec dino oil made today is a synthetic blend, don't pay the markup on a syn blend labeled oil!

OK, sounds like a plan.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by paoester

I just did an OCI and put in Havoline conv 5w20.
It does not have the numbers you listed on the back of the box. It's API SN Plus and ILSAC GF-5.

It's not Dexos 1. Hopefully this oil will be OK. It seems to feel real good in there.

It does not have the numbers you listed on the back of the box. It's API SN Plus and ILSAC GF-5.
It's not Dexos 1. Hopefully this oil will be OK. It seems to feel real good in there.

This document: https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=533204&docFormat=PDF
says it is Ford WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 5W-20) which matches the Owner's Manual.
In the future, you may see WSS-M2C945-whatever and those would be fine too.
It is strange the Havoline jugs and bottles do not have it printed on the back. It stinks because people in the stores can't tell.
Thats not even a tough spec to meet anyway.

In reality, the dexos1 5w20 spec is a better oil, and VW 508 & Mercedes 229.71 0w-20 oils are still better, for more coin. Ford may not want cars still under warranty to deviate from WSS-M2C945-whatever.

My choice in your car would be Castrol Extended Performance 0w-20 at walmart which meets Mercedes 229.71, although it doesn't say it on the jugs or bottles either. Mercedes says it is though.
That same oil in 5w-20 should perform about the same as the 0w-20, but its not strictly 229.71 proven.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. This is getting confusing.
How about if I do as others suggest here and just pick any old 5w20 oil and see if I do OK with it?
I definitely don't want to throw away more good oil to get "something better."

Thanks for the thought but I really think I'll do fine with this Havoline oil.
I only drive 3 to 4k miles a year and I change my dino oil every 6 months.

I've over thought this so much, it's unreal. Now it's time to choose an oil & filter, run it, and relax.
I think anyone who comes to this forum should do very well with longevity in the car engine as far as engine oil is concerned.

My city doesn't accept used oil at the curb any more, so I was thinking I'd get my OCIs at WM and let them deal with the used oil, etc.

AFAIK, all the major auto parts chains in the US as well as Wal-Mart accept used oil for recycling at no charge.

I just pour mine up into jugs and when I'm running to a parts store for something else, toss it in the trunk and drop it off. I generally use Autozone, and as long as I don't want the jugs back they often just have me leave it on a cart or counter at the front of the store.

I do sharpie "Used" on the bottles so that they don't get inadvertently re-shelved as new.

How about if I do as others suggest here and just pick any old 5w20 oil and see if I do OK with it?

Thanks for the thought but I really think I'll do fine with this Havoline oil.
I only drive 3 to 4k miles a year and I change my dino oil every 6 months.

I've over thought this so much, it's unreal. Now it's time to choose an oil & filter, run it, and relax.
I think anyone who comes to this forum should do very well with longevity in the car engine as far as engine oil is concerned.

Actually it's not confusing at all. Your owner's manual gives a Ford specification for the oil, correct? Just use an oil that has the spec. It is easy.

Unless you think that the oil feeling real good in there is more important than the spec.

How about if I do as others suggest here and quote=paoester]

This document: https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=533204&docFormat=PDF
says it is Ford WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 5W-20) which matches the Owner's Manual.
In the future, you may see WSS-M2C945-whatever and those would be fine too.
It is strange the Havoline jugs and bottles do not have it printed on the back. It stinks because people in the stores can't tell.
Thats not even a tough spec to meet anyway.

In reality, the dexos1 5w20 spec is a better oil, and VW 508 & Mercedes 229.71 0w-20 oils are still better, for more coin. Ford may not want cars still under warranty to deviate from WSS-M2C945-whatever.

My choice in your car would be Castrol Extended Performance 0w-20 at walmart which meets Mercedes 229.71, although it doesn't say it on the jugs or bottles either. Mercedes says it is though.
That same oil in 5w-20 should perform about the same as the 0w-20, but its not strictly 229.71 proven.

There's your answer your oil meets the spec and will be just fine

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

Actually it's not confusing at all. Your owner's manual gives a Ford specification for the oil, correct? Just use an oil that has the spec. It is easy.

Unless you think that the oil feeling real good in there is more important than the spec.

OK, thank you.
smile.gif

Quit overthinking this. Read the owner's manual. Ford recommends their own oil and the spec they came up with but then say:

...use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines.

To be clear, recommended does not in any way mean required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back