Xfinity removed TCM from HD preferred!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by dippschtick
https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Cut the cord with Directv a few months ago. Decided to start streaming my tv instead. I've been using Youtube TV ever since and have no regrets.

I still get my local channels in HD, I still have 95% of the channels I was watching on satellite, and the signal doesn't cut out when it rains.
thumbsup2.gif
And at 1/3 the price I was paying!

For $50 a month it's something you might want to check out. You can pay a few dollars more a month to add additional channels.

Sorry I was away today doing some major tree trimming.

I have no shot at a satellite with 100 Foot King pines all around me.
I live in a log cabin in the woods.

I was thinking about going to a VOIP phone

and streaming TV . The youtube tv sounds interesting. How does the local channel access work? You using the service of HDTV over the air?

I dont want to have to supplement local news with HD Antenna because that reception is poor as I'm 75+ mile s from the transmitter

So a streaming service with local channels would be great.
I'm O.K. with paying $70 -100 a month for HS internet . I currently have 200MB/S nominal I haven't pinged a speed test recently.

How fast do you need for HD TV movies?

No antenna. Your local stations are determined by your zip code. Just go to the Youtube TV website, type in your zip code, and it will show you the stations you can receive.

I like the fact that there is no contracts. You don't like it, just stop payments. You're done.

With a free 5 day trial you have nothing to lose.

Like the previous poster mentioned, at 200mb you won't have any streaming issues. At 75mb I can watch 4K HDR Youtube videos in one room, stream HD television in another, while my son is playing Xbox online. With no issues.

Last edited:
If you added about $25/month to the $70 is you can get performance pro plan with basic cable for local channels and some cable ones.

Go in person to Xfinity office the people don't seem to care about commission or the line behind you when they show you all your options.

You can continue to rent your cable modem/router likely for $12+ /month however you have to consider purchasing your own $60-$100 cable modem and a router ($100ish+/-). So there is initial outlay to pay the cable company less/month.

wow... 3k a year for TV?

We cut the cord gosh, must be getting close to 10 years ago, almost true pioneers when cutting the cord was much less known.

We have so much TV and movies, I cant for the life of me figure out why pay more then $300 a year!

But I dont have answer to your question. But pretty sure you can get Hulu with live TV with your Roko player that will give you TMC and/or Sling TV through your Roko player, which ever you prefer. The live TV part does cost a lot more money but heck, I would cancel your cable and go to streaming anyway! Save yourself a couple thousand a year.

For us, all major networks with a far superior picture then any sat or cable company can provide through our attic based antenna which feeds 5 TVs in our home, All the major networks with far superior picture total of 30 channels.
Plus 5 Roko Players with Hulu+ subscription and a Netflix Subscription. Total cost less then $25 a month.

(with live TV you can skip your own antenna, think its around $40 a month, I haven't researched it)

Get yourself a Roko player, you will never regret it. Hundreds of free or pay for channels, including the above mentioned Hulu+ or sling tv.
Your internet will be 100% fine with speeds @ 10Mbps now days 20+ would be nicer but not needed.

Last edited:
The Youtube TV website will show you what systems it will work on. But, yes, Roku supports Youtube TV.

I have an LG Oled (webOS) and a Sony LCD (Android) that both support Youtube TV.

However, I use a Roku Ultra on the Sony and like it so much I ordered another for a different TV I have (a Samsung F8500 that doesn't support it)

Originally Posted by madRiver
If you added about $25/month to the $70 is you can get performance pro plan with basic cable for local channels and some cable ones.

Go in person to Xfinity office the people don't seem to care about commission or the line behind you when they show you all your options.

You can continue to rent your cable modem/router likely for $12+ /month however you have to consider purchasing your own $60-$100 cable modem and a router ($100ish+/-). So there is initial outlay to pay the cable company less/month.

They moved the comcast service center to Portsmouth NH
There used to be one sort of near me in Windham but its closed now.

Thats not a bad idea, then I can get a Smart TV ( dont have one now) or a ROKU box. I relly like my TV I dont want to have to get another It took forever to get the picture just so on my Samsung 39 incher.

Which box has the best remote and channel surfing. experience I like the Scrolling menu of Favourites I can set up on comcast.

That is a big deal to see what's on currently and what is going to be on at a glance.

Thanks!

-Ken

Get yourself a Roko player, you will never regret it. Hundreds of free or pay for channels, including the above mentioned Hulu+ or sling tv.
Your internet will be 100% fine with speeds @ 10Mbps now days 20+ would be nicer but not needed.

Yep.

I never cut the cord but carried the $20/month cable TV basic plan for wife since 2003 alongside $70 internet to work from home.

The issue that happened with us is the $12 for Netflix and the Prime Amazon fee (about $12/month). I would have easily paid for HBO, Showtime too but borrowed our family's ski/rental home account for that.

I would highly recommend you simply buy the Roku stick and validate the experience before cutting. Many pie services offer free trial also so you can try before you buy.

Originally Posted by madRiver

The minute you get the any "channels package" is when the fees kick in-those are "Broadcast TV Fee, Sports Fee, etc. After I mounted my antenna, I went to the Xfinity store to turn in my boxes. The guy behind the counter said I could get Internet, phone, and basic digital for $109.00. I told him OK-what would be my TOTAL MONTHLY COST. It was $160.00 after all fees. So-it's not just a few dollars more.

Now-they are moving channels around-and putting them in different packages-to effectively raise prices-without raising their "standard packages" but eliminating channels-forcing you to subscribe to supplemental channels for $10.00 to $15.00 a month-to watch something that was included in your standard package before.

Prediction-Cable companies will purchase some of the streaming services-and in the future streaming wont be much cheaper than a "cable package".

BTW-On edit-if you are not technical savvy-do not buy your own modem.
It';s very difficult to get support from ComCast for their own modem-much less one they don't own.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. Do I need a box of some sort (roku) for the Youtube TV?

Do yourself a HUGE favor, go out and buy a Roku. Based on your posts you will be AMAZED at all the free channels and movies PLUS your Youtube.

While you are at it, if you pay for home phone service, make that your next project after you get your Roku.

For home phone service, simply go out and buy an Ooma. Then cancel your cable TV company provided phone.
Works EXACTLY the same as any home phone that uses the internet, which is pretty much everything now.
Our monthly cost is $0 plus phone taxes of $5.54. Total monthly home phone bill = $5.54

Thanks Alarmguy
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Thanks for the advice guys. Do I need a box of some sort (roku) for the Youtube TV?

Do yourself a HUGE favor, go out and buy a Roku. Based on your posts you will be AMAZED at all the free channels and movies PLUS your Youtube.

While you are at it, if you pay for home phone service, make that your next project after you get your Roku.

For home phone service, simply go out and buy an Ooma. Then cancel your cable TV company provided phone.
Works EXACTLY the same as any home phone that uses the internet, which is pretty much everything now.
Our monthly cost is $0 plus phone taxes of $5.54. Total monthly home phone bill = $5.54

Thanks Alarmguy.

Did you notice any loss in picture or Sound quality through the Roku. I'm just std HD user - -no 4k or anything fancy.

Doe the Roku or Google Chromecast plug into the TV HDMI port? or is a open USB 2 or 3 required ?

I am limited on I/O with my basic Samsung 39" LED-LCD

Where does the Ooma box plug in ? Just in a open Ethernet port on the modem router?

Will Comcast know and Balk?

Sorry for all the questions.

1. No loss and sound or picture quality from cable or Sat. Heck, might be a step up.

2. HDMI port

3. Ooma plugs into the back of your router, phone plugs into the back of the Ooma.

4. Comcast know and balk?
At what? (sorry just being smart *L*) No they cant balk, you buy their internet service and pay for it. They cant dictate to you what you can use and not use on your internet and where you go!
they cant force you to buy services from them.
It would be called "anti trust' and government would throw them in jail. (just trying to ease your concerns)

Google "speed test"
Then do a speed test using "ATT" and one using "Spectrum" or another. Just make sure you have above 10 Mbps download, 25 better of a few devices streaming. Most companies now, like our Spectrum deliever 100Mbps but you dont need it. if you have a choice of 25 that's good too for only 1 or 2 streaming sets.

Make sure when doing a speed test that your computer isn't running a lot of programs in the background. or simply restart it then do the test.

Spectrum Speed test - click

Att Speed test - click

Last edited:
1. No loss and sound or picture quality from cable or Sat. Heck, might be a step up.

2. HDMI port

3. Ooma plugs into the back of your router, phone plugs into the back of the Ooma.

Google "speed test"
Then do a speed test using "ATT" and one using "Spectrum" or another. Just make sure you have above 10 Mbps

Make sure when doing a speed test that your computer isn't running a lot of programs in the background. or simply restart it then do the test.

Att Speed test - click

Great info.

I just did the AT&T and Spectrum and they both showed about 170Mbps down and 6 Mbps up.

So maybe I could opt for a lower tier Internet from Comcast if would save substantial money?
I wouldn't think of going slower to save say 20 bucks
I would try to have the nominal download at least 2x what would be required say ~50 Mbps.
Thanks for the help - very specific and exact. Just the way I like it
smile.gif

-Ken

Last edited:
Comcast has a propriety way that they handle data packets for VOIP. There are several threads around the Internet on this. Magic Jack/Ooma are not necessarily "plug and play" with ComCast. Your friend here are the forums (for magic jack/Ooma) -as ComCast won't help you setup a competitors VOIP.

The major providers (cable/satellite) need to get rid of the stupid packages and let us choose what we want. Every channel package is full of garbage channels that nobody watches. Don't they realize they would have a lot fewer people "cutting the cord" if they allowed us to choose, and pay for only what we want?

2. HDMI port

Google "speed test"
Then do a speed test using "ATT" and one using "Spectrum" or another. Just make sure you have above 10 Mbps

Att Speed test - click

Great info.

I just did the AT&T and Spectrum and they both showed about 170Mbps down and 6 Mbps up.

So maybe I could opt for a lower tier Internet from Comcast if would save substantial money?
I wouldn't think of going slower to save say 20 bucks
I would try to have the nominal download at least 2x what would be required say ~50 Mbps.
Thanks for the help - very specific and exact. Just the way I like it
smile.gif

-Ken

Well you certainly have good download speeds and will be no issue for you.
I wouldn't look to save money on download speed just yet. Meaning if you were to "cut" the cord and start streaming, why not wait until you have everything up and running, this way, if you then try to slow your speed to save money you will have a direct comparison if something goes wrong, you can then always increase it again.

Your most welcome.

I want to add one other thing. I would ignore negative comments on Ooma or Roku from people. Even more so people who compare it to Magic Jack. You will always find someone and will always find info on the internet about people who have issues with any product, including the computer you are using.

Comcast does NOT have an issue with Ooma Ooma does not have an issue with Comcast Ooma is just like ANY internet device that you may plug into a router. Ooma works the same EXACT way as any cable company phone and most phone company phones now since even phone companies are switching from copper.. With that said, sometimes ANY internet provider may have your ports locked, its very rare now, its actually to prevent you doing anything with those connections and they can easily be opened. I didn't even want to type this, as it is rare.

Furthermore if you ever buy a product that will not work for you, umm, simply return it! *L*
Heck, anyone want to doubt me, here are over 1000 comments on best buys website regarding Ooma. I myself can testify flawless home land line service for god, I dont remember its been so long, 8, 9, 10 years, I forgot. Heck more reliable then any service I have ever had. But what the heck?

Sometimes to save money you need to step out of your comfort zone and try it for goodness sakes. 10 years (again, cant remember exact year but going to see if I can find receipt) of not paying for home landline service and having Ooma TOTAL PHONE BILL SAVINGS??? $6000.00 !!! Six Thousand extra dollars in my pocket, like hello!?!? That means I saved roughly over $8000.00 of pretax income. More or less you have to make over 8000 to come out with 6000 to pay the phone bill. Ooma bill over 10 years? $600 - Cable company phone bill over 10 years? $6000 I think it was a pretty smart move on my part experimenting to save money.
(ps I know the math above doesn't exactly sound right, that is because last I remember my home landline was costing a bit more then $50 a month.

Best buy reviews - Ooma - Click here and scroll down.

How about over 3,600 4&5 star reviews on Amazon - click here

Last but not least - Balanced review - note the comments on call quality
Also ignore the "wifi" comments as yes, Ooma does not use wifi it is plugged into the back of your router, just like cable telephone service. 9pretty dumb comment they make about that but at least you know its balanced review) Bottom line, pay attention to numbers 1 through 5. everything else is the writers perception of things.

Last edited:

Your most welcome.

I want to add one other thing. I would ignore negative comments on Ooma or Roku from people. .....

Comcast does NOT have an issue with Ooma Ooma does not have an issue with Comcast Ooma is just like ANY internet device that you may plug into a router I saved roughly over $8000.00 of pretax income. More or less you have to make over 8000 to come out with 6000 to pay the phone bill. Ooma bill over 10 years? $600 - Cable company phone bill over 10 years? $6000 I think it was a pretty smart move on my part experimenting to save money.

I'm all over it. Now, I have to see how may open ports I have on the Arris docsis3.0 geteway/ router box. ...

- just checked 4 ethernet ports

On the top line Roku box I like the headphone jack on the remote. My wireless HP are getting tired so here I can just use any efficient analog Hphone for late night listening. Just hoping the sound quality is very good. I used to be an Audiophile. Now I'm Deaf above 6Khz.
Also like that there is a downloadable roku smart phone remote control app so you can have a full keypad for faster searches. and voice control if you want it. Pretty neat!

Your most welcome.

I want to add one other thing. I would ignore negative comments on Ooma or Roku from people. .....

Comcast does NOT have an issue with Ooma Ooma does not have an issue with Comcast Ooma is just like ANY internet device that you may plug into a router I saved roughly over $8000.00 of pretax income. More or less you have to make over 8000 to come out with 6000 to pay the phone bill. Ooma bill over 10 years? $600 - Cable company phone bill over 10 years? $6000 I think it was a pretty smart move on my part experimenting to save money.

I'm all over it. Now, I have to see how may open ports I have on the Arris docsis3.0 geteway/ router box. ...

- just checked 4 ethernet ports

On the top line Roku box I like the headphone jack on the remote. My wireless HP are getting tired so here I can just use any efficient analog Hphone for late night listening. Just hoping the sound quality is very good. I used to be an Audiophile. Now I'm Deaf above 6Khz.
Also like that there is a downloadable roku smart phone remote control app so you can have a full keypad for faster searches. and voice control if you want it. Pretty neat!

There are cases where there are issues-
https://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18276

^^^ there are cases and service issues for any company and any service in any forum on the internet, including any service that you use or anyone in this forum uses ^^^
It doesn't matter that the link you provided posts are 5 years old, Im 100% sure there are many more, even from yesterday but again, that goes for any service for any company ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back