Reusing oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Honda, the 7317 size filter only holds 0.3 of a quart or 9.6 ounces. That much used oil makes a negligible difference, plus you'd never be able to drain it all out. Leave it on. If you take the time to remove it, install a new filter.

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
Over the life of the oil change, the cost of a filter is only a fraction of a percent per mile. why wouldn't you change it?

I like living on the edge

Over the life of the oil change, the cost of a filter is only a fraction of a percent per mile. why wouldn't you change it?
Why don't you change your fuel filter every time you fill your tank?

Since our odyssey sees in town use and goes around 5k for an OCI, I do the filter every other oil change, per the manual.

It saves time and marginal resources.

What I do is use the same oil both changes, so the oil in the filter is the same as what I'm refilling.

If I tried to drain and reinstall the filter, sure, it's onky a few minutes, but it's a few more minutes...

Fram Ultra guard should easily go 10K-12K miles. They claim to be good for almost double that mileage. I change my FUG every 2 OCI's or about 8K-10K miles.

I don't use oil filters twice. However, if I did, it would be for convenience more than saving money. I would just leave the filter on.

I've used oil filters twice for going on 2 decades now. Never a problem. 10k to 15k miles on the filter before I change it. Never break the seal. It's not worth it. If I go through the trouble of dropping the filter, then it just makes sense to put a new one on in its place.

It makes every other oil change a 4 minute job. And less mess. And saves a bit of money.

I did my trucks annual oil change today. Left the Fram 15,000 mile filter on, drained the oil in a few minutes, refilled, done. So easy.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I've used oil filters twice for going on 2 decades now. Never a problem. 10k to 15k miles on the filter before I change it. ...
As I never had a problem using most (non-synthetic) oil filters 3 times (i.e., typically around 18k miles) for about 3 decades on my Mazda (see below). I doubt that shortened its life very much.

In the eighties, Nissan clearly stated in the owners manual to change the oil every 3750 miles, and the filter every 7000 miles. This was back when Oil was, well just oil....and Filters were just Filters...lol

I'm not saying Nissan is the holy grail, but Honda also states every other oil change to change the oil filter.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just don't get the sense of reusing old oil filters for another lap, when they are so cheap and easy to change out. Not to mention getting rid of as much of the dirty oil as you can by changing them. To me it's like saving money on laundry detergent and water, by wearing your underwear for 2 days, and changing your bedding once a month.

Originally Posted by Brojo
... My question is would you guys normally uninstall it and drain it out? I thought I remembered a thread about filters not resealing well once unscrewed. Just wanted to get some opinions.

2012 Honda Pilot if that makes any difference
Best practice says leave the filter in place if one is going to run it for more than one oci. Why. Because removing it, emptying and reinstalling increases the chance of having a compromised sealing gasket. That said, how great that chance is, don't think it's been quantified.

Suppose one needs to weigh that chance versus the amount of oil left in the filter (not much). Also 'ime' Hondas with OF thread end up orientation, a much more significant amount of oil comes out from above the filter when filter loosened and removed.

So if you make the decision to remove it, clean the sealing gasket, re-lube it just as you would a new one. Then check for leaks as usual.

Either way, the XG7317 as you've correctly concluded have zero issues as far as holding capacity for another oci on your Pilot. In fact doing the same thing with the same filter on an Accord 2.4L currently. On second oci.

If you're taking a poll put me down for leaving yours in place on this occasion.

ME: I've removed and reinstalled 2 oil filters in my life with no leaks.

One was a Honda filter with That was quite recently.
There was immediate use for the filter AND enough time to calmly check for leaks or additional change.
I am all for economy.

The other was off my old van (well maintained...even in the days before BITOG) and reinstalled onto a friend-of-a-friend's vehicle for whom I was doing a charity oil change. That was well before cell phones.

I would avoid the practice but it's good that some people claim to never have had a problem. I'm OK with a good filter going 2X OCI's.

QUESTION: Would the people who remove and reinstall a filter onto ANOTHER VEHICLE please tell us why they'd do that.
No judgement. just asking.

This question DOES NOT apply to those who empty a filter of old oil and reinstall onto the same vehicle.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Per Honda, the 7317 size filter only holds 0.3 of a quart or 9.6 ounces. That much used oil makes a negligible difference, plus you'd never be able to drain it all out. Leave it on. If you take the time to remove it, install a new filter.

I agree that draining a spin-on filter is difficult. The only success I had was punching holes in the closed end. Obviously not for a reinstall situation.

I also agree that if you remove the filter, why bother reusing it.

-Andy Sipowicz [Same character, different show]

My worry would be less about the gasket seal and more about tweaking the can. I've owned vehicles that required a band type wrench to remove the filter, and it wasn't uncommon for them to come off with a significant dent in the can. Why chance that for a few ounces of oil?

Originally Posted by billt460

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just don't get the sense of reusing old oil filters for another lap, when they are so cheap and easy to change out. Not to mention getting rid of as much of the dirty oil as you can by changing them. To me it's like saving money on laundry detergent and water, by wearing your underwear for 2 days, and changing your bedding once a month.

If oil filters were like men's underwear, then you could get four intervals out of one. Front, back, inside out front and inside out back.

Definitely leave it on the engine, do not remove and drain. I say this for several reasons:
just one more opportunity to introduce foreign material by breaking the seal
possibility of gasket sealing issues
not enough dirty oil remaining to worry about
trying to tighten an oily filter canister? ugh

If it was important to remove and drain the filter for re-use, Honda and other makers who say run an oil filter for 2x OCIs would say to do that. They don't say to remove, drain and re-use.

My worry would be less about the gasket seal and more about tweaking the can....
That could be a possibility, however with a properly installed filter, ie., sealing gasket lubed, hand tightened to no more than 2/3-3/4 turn after gasket contact, damaging the can especially with a cap wrench very unlikely ime and imo.

As for removal not being mentioned by in the manufacturers that recommend 2 oci's, that's true. However, they also don't mention priming an oil filter which many also do before filter installation. So imo the same logic could be applied, it's likely more a feel good thing.

That said, as noted best practice says leave in place if running more than once.

If you had not drained the oil yet you should have went and bought a new filter. Read my signature. It's a verse out of the oil filter change Bible.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back