Honda Accord V6 Destroyed -- Timing Belt Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a past owner of several Accords I echo what others have said - if it's in good condition it's worth finding a reputable mechanic to either repair or replace the engine if you aren't able to yourself. I had a 2002 Nissan Altima with a timing chain that went on the freeway at 80 MPH. We were able to pull over. I sold it to a backyard mechanic and he had it running the next day - I assumed there were bent valves and major destruction to the engine, but he was able to repair the engine in the end without a full replacement. It's certainly worth looking into.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Originally Posted by CrackyWainwright
The latest timing belt job was done with OEM Honda parts by the head of the auto mechanics department of our local community college. He has a good reputation as both a teacher and the owner of a private shop. He's offering no warranty

The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten

Amen!

Originally Posted by dishdude
Interference belt motors suck. So 1990's

Actually they don't "suck" if you mind the maintenance change interval they are very reliable, and unlike chains the job in most common car models isn't too hard for any decent mechanic, if a chain starts to fail it is going to be a big job on even the common cars they are found on and the parts are usually expensive too.

My guess is in this instance the guy that worked on it made a mistake and it caused the failure.

If you really like your ride, why in the world would you pinch pennies unless you really have to. That being said I feel sorry for the car, it doesn't owe the owner anything at over 200k.

I hope the OP follows up and tells us what the cause of the failure was and maybe he will get lucky that there is no interference damage and a new belt can be put on and the car will be fine without any additional work. You never know with these things.

I can't say I've ever seen a (properly installed) genuine OEM belt fail so early. Most don't fail until well after the suggested replacement interval.

I'd say a mistake during installation (T-belts don't fare well when mishandled during installation), a 'Mechanic' that knows theory, but has trouble putting it into practice, or counterfeit/ low-quality parts. There are a lot of junk parts out there, labeled as OEM or quality name brands. I'd be leery of any supposed OEM or name brand parts on, say, Ebay, at too-good-to-be-true prices.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Actually they don't "suck" if you mind the maintenance change interval they are very reliable, and unlike chains the job in most common car models isn't too hard for any decent mechanic, if a chain starts to fail it is going to be a big job on even the common cars they are found on and the parts are usually expensive too.

My guess is in this instance the guy that worked on it made a mistake and it caused the failure.

If you really like your ride, why in the world would you pinch pennies unless you really have to. That being said I feel sorry for the car, it doesn't owe the owner anything at over 200k.

I hope the OP follows up and tells us what the cause of the failure was and maybe he will get lucky that there is no interference damage and a new belt can be put on and the car will be fine without any additional work. You never know with these things.

No it's the absolute worst engine design responsible for sending more cars to the scrapyard prematurely than anything else.

If the motor cost too much to repair, which it might if the heads are damaged. A lower mileage MDX 3.5L, 2nd choice, Odyssey 3.5L, motor swap, the car will be a little torque monster. The MDX, best option, will have more top end rpm's. It would be the cheapest way out to keep your car.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

No it's the absolute worst engine design responsible for sending more cars to the scrapyard prematurely than anything else.

I agree. A well designed timing chain system can easily last the life of a car and then some. But there are poorly designed ones that don't last nearly as long. Either way... gimme the chains please!

Last edited:
I'm a bit older so have much history with pushrod engines with short timing chains. I realize the tradeoffs, but prefer the simpler engines. Yes, my stuff is mostly older as well with Nailhead, SBC,3800 and LS

Originally Posted by Lapham3
I'm a bit older so have much history with pushrod engines with short timing chains. I realize the tradeoffs, but prefer the simpler engines. Yes, my stuff is mostly older as well with Nailhead, SBC,3800 and LS

Still alive and well … I have two of these

https://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines/5-3l-l83.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lapham3

Gone are the days of "short" timing chains, now a days they are long and I sometime wonder if most are 1 size too small. IE VW/Audi.

The 2020 mid engine Corvette uses a short chain. Just say no to long chains.
smile.gif

First thing I would do is find a better mechanic, second thing would be to get your damaged new timing parts off & make the guy exchange therm for new ones, so that you can have them put on the new (used) engine. Also, parts suppliers do sometimes help with labor for replacement failed parts, but not in this case. Everyone makes mistakes, something was likely assembled wrong-an actual quality mechanic would stand behind their work. I honestly wouldn't let them touch it at this point.

Sorry for your misfortune. That said given the information provided, at only 4700 mi. after the service, it would seem most logically related to installer error or defective part. I realize that the latter says belt Honda Oem. Hopefully the engine can be saved.

Originally Posted by CrackyWainwright
Originally Posted by A_Harman
Don't jump to conclusions.
Dig into it, see how bad it really is.
Maybe it's not too bad to rebuild.
You can make it better than it was.
Better.
Stronger.
Faster.

I appreciate your confidence in me, but I'm no mechanic. I can do basic maintenance, but no serious mechanic work.

The latest timing belt job was done with OEM Honda parts by the head of the auto mechanics department of our local community college. He has a good reputation as both a teacher and the owner of a private shop. He's offering no warranty, but said he would donate his labor to tear into the engine and see what part failed -- nothing more than just research and diagnosis -- if I pay another $100 to have the Accord towed to his shop.

Sorry to say this but this^^^ is why your beloved Accord is no more. You took it to a community college where the teacher may have been a great tech, but it is STILL A SCHOOL and the students are NOT great techs, they are learning. What you did was donate your vehicle to the learning experience of the students.

And I'm sure you signed a waiver saying that the school is not responsible for any and all damage that may occur during the repair (lost and stolen items, damage to the car, etc). It's a risk you take when you try to save money on car repairs - and usually it pays off in places like this - but the bigger repairs (timing belts, engine work) are usually a big risk...one that the school usually won't take on. I feel for everyone involved; the educator probably feels terrible about it, but it's not his fault, he can't watch every bolt that his students tighten and loosen...his only fault might be taking in this job in the first place. And maybe a part did just flat out fail - but even then it's tough for a school to handle this because what are they going to do? They don't have a designated person to deal with warranty claims.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
First thing I would do is find a better mechanic, second thing would be to get your damaged new timing parts off & make the guy exchange therm for new ones, so that you can have them put on the new (used) engine. Also, parts suppliers do sometimes help with labor for replacement failed parts, but not in this case. Everyone makes mistakes, something was likely assembled wrong-an actual quality mechanic would stand behind their work. I honestly wouldn't let them touch it at this point.

Actually first thing he should do is find a mechanic, not a better one. There was no mechanic on the first one (it was repaired at a school). The "mechanic" was a teacher leading students. He wasn't really working on the car, kids were. And he very well was also teaching another 10 different jobs around that lab/shop at the same time.

And if you have "them" remove the damaged parts and get new ones - then put them on a used engine - you're having kids do it. First off they are not obligated to do that job or warranty anything (schools make it very clear they are not responsible for any damage, mistakes, lost or stolen items - you sign a waiver). Second, if they were responsible...do you want kids doing a job like this again? Or worse having them do an even bigger one, like replacing the engine? Oh my lord! Imagine what could happen there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back