Oil running off dipstick after hard driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tracked my car a few days ago, didn't miss a beat, didn't burn any oil (F20c).

Oil used was Penrite 10w40 Racing.

I notice now (of course, checking the oil when COLD), that the oil doesn't cling to the dipstick, i.e it seems like it runs or drips off the dipstick. The oil as it stands has less than 1000km on it.

Has the oil lost its protective properties?

Fortunately it does not
smile.gif

Originally Posted by DV0993
Tracked my car a few days ago, didn't miss a beat, didn't burn any oil (F20c).

Oil used was Penrite 10w40 Racing.

I notice now (of course, checking the oil when COLD), that the oil doesn't cling to the dipstick, i.e it seems like it runs or drips off the dipstick. The oil as it stands has less than 1000km on it.

Has the oil lost its protective properties?

At ambient temp the lube is still sufficiently thick to provide a moft at startup. There's no way to tell just from eyeballing it at ambient, if the 100c and 150c viscosity is still adequate/in grade because it's much much thicker "cold" than when it's at operating temp.

Last edited:
Since you are above the temperature pour point of your oil, it should run or drip off the dipstick. You might need -10 deg to -20 deg F to get to a point where it clings to your dip stick when cold. Good thing it drips off your stick or it be pretty tough to pump at start up.

And I understand that pour point and pump-ability specs are 2 diff things....but this is simplified logic.

Last edited:
That Penrite is all grp4/5, it's very shear stable with probably little to no viscosity modifiers. NASCAR engines turning 10k rpm and +800hp run PAO/ester for hours, albeit at much lower viscosities. The track run didn't "break" the oil.

You're seeing it fall off the dipstick because it lubricates itself.

Milk splashes ALL OVER the kitchen if you spill some for the same reason.

Ever watch the drips at the end of a quart of oil hit the wet sides of the funnel you're using? The oil leaps away from the funnel's side.

Originally Posted by CT8
Hot oil is thinner.

Yes, It is.

But the OP stated this is all based on checking their dipstick with the oil/engine COLD.

Last edited:
It's probably more dipstick design than anything else. Our Toyotas don't do it, but the Versa, Mustang, and XTerra all drip a couple drops of oil from the dipstick when it's removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back