Mercedes, Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at a 2015 CLA 250 and how does this brand stack up? I have heard the stories about expensive maintenance,
then I hear they are very reliable. I had an Audi A4 and that was the only car I could compare it to. How cushy is the
ride and how's handling. Thank you

Get a brand new Mazda6 and for a lot less money, you'll get an outstanding car. The infotainment won't be as full-featured but, on the flip-side, you'll never get a mortgage-sized repair bill for routine service.

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/mazda6/gallery

M6.jpg

Last edited:
I've only owned 1 MB.
I sold it the days before the warranty expired.
Cams replaced. AC issues required dash removal.
Windows falling off track.
It did look nice.

If you want a MB at least step up to the C300 sedan. It doesn't cost much more, but is a better car.

For the same money I'd probably buy a Genesis G70 Sedan. There are some new ones listed as low as $32k well equipped if you search.

My
49.gif

Originally Posted by RayCJ
Get a brand new Mazda6 and for a lot less money, you'll get an outstanding car. The infotainment won't be as full-featured but, on the flip-side, you'll never get a mortgage-sized repair bill for routine service.

I know bitog is riding Mazda hard right now and hates German cars, but a 2015 CLA will be cheaper to buy and better to drive, and is available with a myriad of nice options which balloon the price new but make the car a bargain used.

You have to spend $30k just to get decent power in the Mazda, and are we just going to assume it will be trouble free? My mom's '15 Mazda6 was not a paragon of quality or reliability.

Cramped interior even with the FWD layout. I'd consider a VW Jetta R or whatever their sport line is called if you absolutely need the trunk space. The C300 (My wife has the C300 coupe) is of course the logical step up and it's RWD. She initially thought about the CLA but impulse, threw me under the bus, bought a C300.

BMW 2-series if you want to go the dark side but it's only a 2 dr.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by RayCJ

I know bitog is riding Mazda hard right now and hates German cars, but a 2015 CLA will be cheaper to buy and better to drive, and is available with a myriad of nice options which balloon the price new but make the car a bargain used.

You have to spend $30k just to get decent power in the Mazda, and are we just going to assume it will be trouble free? My mom's '15 Mazda6 was not a paragon of quality or reliability.

I have nothing against German cars and I do not speak as a collective voice for BITOG.

My comments are based on my neighbor's experience. Her CLA 250 was purchased as a dealer lease trade-in with 62,000 miles and came with all dealer service records. Between normal maintenance, a couple mechanical problems and persistent electrical problems, the car has cost her a living fortune to the tune of just under $5500. I've owned 3 Mazda's in the last 10 years and have put over 240,000 miles on them collectively. Maintenance cost for all three comes nowhere near $5500.

Have a nice day.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
No way I'd buy a CLA.

Buy a 2er or A3 if you want a small German car.

Agreed- although note that most here will recommend a soul- slaughtering appliance over anything even remotely engaging to drive.

After owning 2 MB cars (2018 C300 and 2018 AMG GLC43), I have only 2 words for you---maintenance and cost. Case in point, the C300 needed 4 new tires after 13K miles (yes, 13,000 miles), the AMG needed a 4 wheel brake job at 26K miles. I would avoid it like the plague, but that is just me.

Quote what Consumers Reports says about the 2014-2018 models: "While fairly agile, the car rides stiffly".
This is what they say about the 2015 Audi A4 quattro which my wife owns: "Agile handling makes it fun to drive and the ride, though quite firm, is supple and controlled".
A very good riding car from what I've read is the 2018+ Buick Regal, which happens to be made in Germany. The prior gen Regal also rides almost as good but handles better.
The American Made VW Passat is a Very good riding car which I've ridden in.

I'd get over the nameplate and look for a Buick Regal or a VW Passat if you want something that rides very good on climate ruined NY roads.

Originally Posted by rrretiree7
How cushy is the ride and how's handling.
Wouldn't this be best answered by going for a test drive?

I have no personal experience with German cars . I have seen repair videos on youtube . I have heard they are often money pits = expensive parts / repairs .

The youtube videos tend to illustrate that .

And I am prejudiced against vehicles made overseas . Rightly or wrongly . So , my opinion probably not worth a lot to the OP .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back