Oil recommendation for my flat tappet cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's beautiful, isn't she? Specified for API SF. How can I keep those cam lobes intact. I've researched ad nauseum and the answer keeps changing over the last few years.

I've ran in the last 7 years:
Mobile 1 HM 10w40
Quaker Defy 10w40
Rotella T6 5w40 -- recently reformulated, not sure if I should use it again...

20191013_140753.jpg

I would give one of these a whirl:

AMS Oil -- Designed for flat-tappet engines:
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...n-10w-40-synthetic-motor-oil/?zo=1206638

Schaeffer's -- Extra zinc to protect flat tappet cam engines and other components from wear:
https://www.schaefferoil.com/7000-race-oil.html

Royal Purple -- Yes. For stock, non-performance valve trains, Royal Purple API-licensed oils (API SN and ILSAC GF-5 licensed) are OK.
For upgraded performance flat tappet camshafts, and vintage high performance engines, we recommend our HPS or XPR engine oils.
For a specific recommendation, contact our tech department at 888-382-6300.

Valvoline VR1 racing oils:
- ZDDP additive provides tough anti-wear protection.
- Enhanced with friction modifier to improve horsepower.
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/a61538b4-0cbd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

I run regular old Traveller (TSC brand) 15W-40 in all my older flat tappet engines, including a wound up Ford 390 FE that is putting more pressure on the cam lobes than your 4 cylinder ever will without problems. I think any HDEO will be adequate, I'd use 10W-30 in that particular engine.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Your Lima 2.3L camshaft doesn't care what oil you run.

Well, there you go, fusseli.
Valvoline VR1 10W-30... 6 qts for $32 and change on amazon.

You can also buy a bottle of Rislone's ZDDP additive for a few dollars and tweak you're favorite oil for that application.

The cam looks great, why mess with success. I would stay with the oil(s) you have been using, except the 5w-40.. Why change the program now? Todays oils are much better than the SF rated stuff back in the 80's.

Last edited:
Every oil you've mentioned has been recently changed.

VR1 is a good choice, but it's not for extended use with vehicles with cats. No idea if yours has any. Another good option is either a 10w30 HDEO or 0/5w40 A3/B4.

Originally Posted by SteveG4

Yeah doesn't hurt to play it safe especially when you have very good oils with high Zddp like VR1 that are not that expensive.

The cam in that engine is not really a "flat tappet" the lobe is riding on a slipper that is not subjected anywhere near the forces of a true flat tappet cam lobe. This type of cam does not require very high zinc levels, possibly a little more than a roller or shim on bucket but not the levels normally associated with a flat tappet. 900-1100 ppm is plenty.

Engines requiring higher levels of zinc and phosphorus for cam lobe protection use push rods, rocker arms and lifters riding on a smaller and narrower cam lobe. Because the rocker arm ratio increases the force of the valve spring pressure exponentially and transmits it through the rocker arm to the lifter and cam lobe face the small contact area is subjected to many times the force of they type this engine uses.

Other types of valve/lobe arrangements can be problematic with lobe wear eg single cam lobes operating multiple valves through a fork style slipper but these are not very common in automotive designs. IMO Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge 0w40 would be a good fit for the turbo engine, 1100ppm zinc 1000 IIRC phosphorus and able to handle the heat of the old style non liquid cooled turbo.

Originally Posted by Trav
The cam in that engine is not really a "flat tappet" the lobe is riding on a slipper that is not subjected anywhere near the forces of a true flat tappet cam lobe. This type of cam does not require very high zinc levels, possibly a little more than a roller or shim on bucket but not the levels normally associated with a flat tappet. 900-1100 ppm is plenty.

Engines requiring higher levels of zinc and phosphorus for cam lobe protection use push rods, rocker arms and lifters riding on a smaller and narrower cam lobe. Because the rocker arm ratio increases the force of the valve spring pressure exponentially and transmits it through the rocker arm to the lifter and cam lobe face the small contact area is subjected to many times the force of they type this engine uses.

Other types of valve/lobe arrangements can be problematic with lobe wear eg single cam lobes operating multiple valves through a fork style slipper but these are not very common in automotive designs. IMO Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge 0w40 would be a good fit for the turbo engine, 1100ppm zinc 1000 IIRC phosphorus and able to handle the heat of the old style non liquid cooled turbo.

This!
thumbsup2.gif

A 0w-40 would be my go-to as well.

I run VR-1 in my flat tappets, but also agree that I wouldn't get too worried about ZDDP in that particular engine/valve set-up.

Wow thanks for all the replies. I think I'll look in to VR1 10w30 and Edge 0w40 some more. 5qt of Edge is only $23!

Originally Posted by SteveG4

Yeah that stuff looks really good for the price. I did the same thing and ended up on Amazon before scrolling down lol

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Every oil you've mentioned has been recently changed.

VR1 is a good choice, but it's not for extended use with vehicles with cats. No idea if yours has any. Another good option is either a 10w30 HDEO or 0/5w40 A3/B4.

My cats are long gone, 3" from the turbo to the axle, and I'm lucky enough to be in a smog check free area.

Originally Posted by Trav

Thanks for the clarification. I've heard this engine called a slider cam, that would make sense. I've already heard people not know what slider cam was who said "oh, flat tappet." Turbo is the original Garrett, which is in fact water cooled. I've always tried to run synthetic oil for higher temperature stability.

Last edited:
I just run a Zinc additive in the oil that I run in my 70 Monte Carlo with a 396 big block. I've had no issues so far. I'm running Castrol 10W-40 HM in it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back