Help!!!! 2000 GM 2.4 LITER TWIN CAM WATER PUMP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the part in Rockauto, says:

"It Is Necessary To Remove The Timing Cover And Exhaust Manifold Assemblies To Replace This Pump. These gaskets will need to be replaced And Are Not Included With This Pump."

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2000,cavalier,2.4l+l4,1358568,cooling+system,water+pump,2208

It is a Quad 4, GM just changed the displacement slightly & dropped the Quad 4 name. The Ecotech is closely related/Evolution of the Quad 4 but they made the WP easier to change with the use of a special tool.

One word of advice. Pay someone else to do it and make sure they change the thermostat. It has been a long time since I've done one and don't miss it. Exhaust manifold, timing cover, chains need loosing and most importantly the bleed process has to be followed or you will replace the head. Depends on mileage but would not be a bad idea to replace the chain and guides.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
It is a Quad 4, GM just changed the displacement slightly & dropped the Quad 4 name. The Ecotech is closely related/Evolution of the Quad 4 but they made the WP easier to change with the use of a special tool.

Uggghhhh. My dad had a quad 4 that needed a water pump. I scrapped the car as I didn't want to do it

Originally Posted by clinebarger

How long does the water pump on the Ecotech tend to last ?
Cruze is coming up on 120k - just flushed the cooling system.

Originally Posted by mk378
Paying someone to do it is likely more than the car is worth.

But if you buy parts and spend time doing and no problems you will be able to learn a few things. If you have it together and you get a bubble in system on this particular engine head is wiped costing more than it's worth. This is not a DIY job on this vehicle. If a shop screws up they eat it.

When I say Ecotech.....I'm referring to the 2.2L & 2.4L engines with the chain driven WP's. (The LSJ & LNF 2.0L boosted engine as well)

The 1.4T & 1.8L used in the Cruze are Opel engines & share nothing in common with the above engines. The WP on these engine are a weak point but EASY to change!
I'm guessing you had the Timing Belt changed?

I have done enough of them on Saab engines, I think yours may be the same as a B507R engine if it has a chain not the B204R or the B235R be thankful.
The 507 is not bad, you just need an inexpensive tool (never try it without or you will have a real fiasco going) to hold the chain sprocket through the front cover after removing a small plate and remove the pump housing from behind after removing a few parts.
you can get a pump and use the old housing.

The older belt driven ones are a PITA.

Originally Posted by tiger862
One word of advice. Pay someone else to do it and make sure they change the thermostat. It has been a long time since I've done one and don't miss it. Exhaust manifold, timing cover, chains need loosing and most importantly the bleed process has to be followed or you will replace the head. Depends on mileage but would not be a bad idea to replace the chain and guides.

You don't need to do anything with the chains on chain driven models, this tool takes care of that. I have the OTC but there are many, I do prefer this 4 bolt style vs the 2 bolt half size one.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6616-Wat...mp;psc=1&refRID=56WC2YHN9S3AQ0P2RXZ9

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by tiger862

You don't need to do anything with the chains on chain driven models, this tool takes care of that. I have the OTC but there are many, I do prefer this 4 bolt style vs the 2 bolt half size one.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6616-Wat...mp;psc=1&refRID=56WC2YHN9S3AQ0P2RXZ9

That is for the Ecotec and op has quad 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back