Honda Accord V6 Destroyed -- Timing Belt Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sad to report that a car I've loved and cared for with meticulous maintenance has died this weekend. My 2006 Accord EX V6 has been my best car ever. I've given it synthetic oil changes, ATF changes, coolant flushes, etc. for its whole life. I had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, roller pulleys, etc. changed with OEM parts by good mechanics at 100,000 and 196,000 miles. Well, this past Friday with a mere 4,700 miles on the latest timing belt and water pump, the belt broke and blew up the engine I assume since it's an interference engine. Its final mileage is 200,700.

We've debated this before, but I still say a timing belt on an interference engine is a terrible design. If any one part of the timing belt kit fails, the engine is ruined. Everything still works on my Accord still except the engine. The black leather seats are still beautiful.

I had it towed back to my house, and it breaks my heart to see it sitting in the carport more or less dead.

Don't jump to conclusions.
Dig into it, see how bad it really is.
Maybe it's not too bad to rebuild.
You can make it better than it was.
Better.
Stronger.
Faster.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Don't jump to conclusions.
Dig into it, see how bad it really is.
Maybe it's not too bad to rebuild.
You can make it better than it was.
Better.
Stronger.
Faster.

I appreciate your confidence in me, but I'm no mechanic. I can do basic maintenance, but no serious mechanic work.

The latest timing belt job was done with OEM Honda parts by the head of the auto mechanics department of our local community college. He has a good reputation as both a teacher and the owner of a private shop. He's offering no warranty, but said he would donate his labor to tear into the engine and see what part failed -- nothing more than just research and diagnosis -- if I pay another $100 to have the Accord towed to his shop.

failing 4700 miles after a timing belt job?

sounds like defective parts or mechanic mistake.

Originally Posted by Rand

+1

And blind faith in chains is folly, they fail too.

So any interference engine should be cognizant of the status of any timing device...

But at 4700 miles, they should have zero concerns...

Agree with previous posts about not writing an obituary just yet. It may only have a bent valve (or two). The college guys might be interested into taking it apart and looking at it. It might be a boat anchor, but you don't know until you take it apart.

I hope in the 13 years since you bought the car, you have saved up for a down payment on another Accord.
19.gif

Originally Posted by Rand

+2.

Even new parts fail. And any mechanic can make a mistake regardless of reputation or skill level. That's why there are warranties from mfg's and auto repair shops.

I would peel the covers off to see what went wrong, If your mechanic forgot to tighten something down (Like the Idler Pulley).....He needs to make it right!

If a part you bought from Honda failed, Lean on them.....Though I doubt they do anything besides warranting the part. Big corporations don't like paying for damage caused by part failures.

I've done many J-series timing belts & never had a comeback if quality parts are used! Unitta & Mitsuboshi puts date stamps on their belts & I won't use one that's over 5 years old.

Care has to be taken when handling the belt, Any well trained mechanic knows this. I question this guy's integrity if he won't even peel the covers off to see what went wrong.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I would peel the covers off to see what went wrong, If your mechanic forgot to tighten something down (Like the Idler Pulley).....He needs to make it right!

If a part you bought from Honda failed, Lean on them.....Though I doubt they do anything besides warranting the part. Big corporations don't like paying for damage caused by part failures.

I've done many J-series timing belts & never had a comeback if quality parts are used! Unitta & Mitsuboshi puts date stamps on their belts & I won't use one that's over 5 years old.

Care has to be taken when handling the belt, Any well trained mechanic knows this. I question this guy's integrity if he won't even peel the covers off to see what went wrong.

"He's offering no warranty, but said he would donate his labor to tear into the engine and see what part failed -- nothing more than just research and diagnosis"

Read much?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CrackyWainwright
The latest timing belt job was done with OEM Honda parts by the head of the auto mechanics department of our local community college. He has a good reputation as both a teacher and the owner of a private shop. He's offering no warranty

In other words, you took the cheap way out. Gambled and lost. What's the quote? Oh yeah...The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten

Seems like if substandard work was done, it wouldn't have lasted 4700 miles. OEM parts were used.

Lets see what the analysis reveals.

He didn't tighten the idler properly. It worked it's way loose, is my guess.

Let him tear it apart. Probably less than $800 to get it working again.

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by clinebarger

"He's offering no warranty, but said he would donate his labor to tear into the engine and see what part failed -- nothing more than just research and diagnosis"

Read much?

Yeah, I red the entire post. But "nothing more than just research and diagnosis" Is all I had to read.

After the OP has to have it towed on his dime......Sounds just like a "Teacher/Instructor", Those that can't do...Teach!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back