Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are all the Valvoline guys doing? Its been several years since valvoline has been brought up or talked about so here we go. Changing oil this week "winter change" It will only go 5k miles or to next spring/summer. Thats my oci comfort zone... I would dump Mobile 1 in but its $4 more a jug and just dont see the point. Or should I?🤔 Or, should i just stay with pppp? (14. F150 5.0 45k 5w20 )
Is the add pack and tbn and all that good stuff still as strong as it was? Anything new/different about it that clearly hasnt been discussed?

If you are only utilizing the oil for 5000 miles it will make no difference whatsoever. There is no quality distinction between those oils especially at that OCI, if anyone tells you that there is then they are making it up.

Valvoline is a quality oil. The Advanced synthetic 5w20 is a stout 20wt with an HTHS of 2.7 and a respectable noack value of only 7.6%

Lots of great 5w20s to choose from. QSUD, VAS, M1 are all top of the class IMO.

Not a lot of real evidence exists to say any dexos1 oil is better than another. The dexos1 rating makes TBN and chemistry somewhat similar between all those brands.

You can like Valvoline for two reasons:
1. 153 years in business, not bad, in America.
2. titanium to reduce friction or wear

Pennzoil can be chosen because of its pureplus Group3+.
Mobil1 Annual Protection looks like a cut above for some extra $.

Been using Valvoline for many years in everything that need motor oil. Never had a problem with anything. They yield good UOA also. I change the oil every 5k. I can't get myself to go any longer.

Adding to my previous post here, there is a 3rd reason to like Valvoline. It was featured in the back of Bif's car in the 1985 Back to the Future. That's Fox back there with it.
[Linked Image from productplacementblog.com]

Valvoline's easy pour cap on the 5qt jug is enough alone to make me enjoy using their oil. They also have a good reputation in the high mileage department.

Originally Posted by paoester
Adding to my previous post here, there is a 3rd reason to like Valvoline. It was featured in the back of Bif's car in the 1985 Back to the Future. That's Fox back there with it.
[Linked Image from productplacementblog.com]

Biff says if you don't like Valvoline, make like a tree and get out here.

Great oil, I've used it on my 2011 DTS for my 5K OCI. When I checked the oil level at 3K, the oil was still very clear.

NAPA Synthetic is also 90% similar to Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic. Napa has a slightly weaker additive pack.

I'm using Napa Synthetic right now with no issues on my DTS.

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
How are all the Valvoline guys doing? Its been several years since valvoline has been brought up or talked about so here we go. Changing oil this week "winter change" It will only go 5k miles or to next spring/summer. Thats my oci comfort zone... I would dump Mobile 1 in but its $4 more a jug and just dont see the point. Or should I?🤔 Or, should i just stay with pppp? (14. F150 5.0 45k 5w20 )
Is the add pack and tbn and all that good stuff still as strong as it was? Anything new/different about it that clearly hasnt been discussed?

Screenshot_20191012-172600_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191012-172438_Chrome.jpg

Originally Posted by GaryPoe

IMO, Best 25 dollar Synthetic jug out there. They knocked it out of the park with this formulation.!

My wife's UOA came back about as good as it can get.

I like it best in 5W30 flavour.

Oil is oil with the proper rating use which ever brand price or marketing claims dictate.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

IMO, Best 25 dollar Synthetic jug out there. They knocked it out of the park with this formulation.!

Agreed.. kinda spendy for my blood but hard to beat in that price range. That said as kschachn pointed out, most any SN/GF5 lube, syn or dino, will suffice at that (5k) oci. But I totally get ppl wanting the "best" for their baby...as long as it's not taking food off the table, I say spend the money and sleep well at night knowing you've got a darn good lube in the crankcase....

Last edited:
Matthew_Boss, good find on the Sequence IVA comparison between Castrol Edge and Valvoline. Looks like Biff was using the wrong oil all along.
Castrol Edge black bottle makes the same claim as Edge gold bottle, and both get a 15 micron score on the Sequence IVA wear test, while Valvoline gets 45 microns. Castrol won that one.

Matthew_Boss, good find on the Sequence IVA comparison between Castrol Edge and Valvoline. Looks like Biff was using the wrong oil all along.
Castrol Edge black bottle makes the same claim as Edge gold bottle, and both get a 15 micron score on the Sequence IVA wear test, while Valvoline gets 45 microns. Castrol won that one.

Where did you see this?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Where did you see this?
6 x 15 micron = 90 microns, 50% of 90 microns is 45.

I didn't see Valvoline mentioned at all.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I didn't see Valvoline mentioned at all.
Right side of Matthew_Boss's post above and on Valvoline's website.

[Linked Image]

Was at WM for groceries and took a gander in the oil isle and seen Valvoline on rollback making it cheaper than everything on the shelf "excluding ST and Magnatec". Easy decision. By the way, i never noticed the cans in the movie thats pretty cool. And thanks ARCO, I was looking for a uoa/voa on the new formula and looks to have held up real nice on the 9100 mile run. Last uoa i can find for 5w20 was back in 2013!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back