Outside Temperature Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gauge sticks at a certain temperature, lets say 68. I know it is hotter than 68. It takes ten minutes, but it never
reaches the correct temperature. Any ideas? Thank you

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Is your outside gauge have batteries? If how long since you changed them?

Don't want to crawl around under the car but I never heard that there were batteries in the sending unit. Why wouldn't it run off of the car's electrical system?

When my gauge on my Buick gave bad readings, it was simple job for the mechanic to change the sending unit in front of the radiator.

Mine works as intended, probably, but I have a complaint anyway. Evidently Toyota's internal programming rounds the temperature to the nearest 1°C, then rounds that to the nearest equivalent 1°F. Because of this double rounding, it skips certain numbers. For example, the hottest temperature I've ever seen on it (other than immediately after starting when sun was hitting the car) was a few days ago around the Virginia-North Carolina border, when it was alternating between 95°F and 97°F. It never showed 96°. That, I suspect, is because 35°C is exactly 95°F, and 36°C is 96.8°F, which rounds to 97°. If the temperature is 35.5°C, which is 95.9°F, it should round correctly to 96°.

What vehicle? Many years ago had a Pontiac Grand Prix that sensor went bad, front of radiator. Just replaced it, problem solved. Based on the information provided, bad temp sensor would be my first thought.

Originally Posted by ffhdriver
When my gauge on my Buick gave bad readings, it was simple job for the mechanic to change the sending unit in front of the radiator.

I did that on our 2006 Lacrosse and my cousin and I did it on his 2005 Lacrosse . Not sure it really helped much , but the part was not expensive .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back