Long lived Yamaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
Very, very nice! That's destined to be one of those models that people will regret not having purchased when they could have, me included.
wink.gif

Yamaha still sells the VMAX. Maybe one of the longest produced models ever. Never too late to get one.
grin2.gif

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-heritage/models/vmax

Amazing! I thought it was winding down, but I haven't read many motorcycle magazines for a few years. I never would have time to ride, and here, you need a dual purpose for our great roads.
wink.gif
The price has gone up since I last looked! Years back, when I looked, the small tank was a deal breaker, considering the highway range I needed. Now, it wouldn't be a problem.

Hey is that tank two-tone? Looks red top in the picture with the trailer, looks like black sides in the original posting?

The tank is under the seat. But I'm guessing the faux-gastank airbox cover has been repainted since the pic pulling the trailer.

I still remember the tv ads for the Vmax back in the 80's.

And of course Jay 'peewee' Gleason. RIP.

I had an '89 Max. Bought it from a Chief Master Sergeant who was stationed in CA in '96. Bike only had 5K miles on it and it looked brand new. I put a set of slip-ons on it. I don't remember the make, but they had removable disks. They made the bike sound like a top fueler when getting on it hard. Loved the bike for cruising around town and taunting riders on other bikes, but it wasn't comfortable on the highway, and it needed another gear as it turned too many RPMs on the highway. Great bike other than that...

My 2006 R1 has 89,000 miles, original motor with one valve adjustment and my 2017 R1 is at 42,000 miles now, yamaha makes great bikes, any of the Japanese manufactures build long lasting bikes. Vmax is a great bike

Originally Posted by BSeward
It also did a credible job of pulling a trailer.. This was around 1989, on a trip through Quebec and New England. Harbor Freight style trailer, and a Sears car top carrier. Homemade hitch. Arguably one of the fastest trailers ever built.

Not even close...

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

Originally Posted by BSeward
First, I'd like to thank the forum administrator for letting me become a member. I'm the proud owner of a 1985 Yamaha Vmax motorcycle. As of today, it's got 134,200 miles on the odometer. ( actually the odo READS 34,200 - the 100,000 mile digit doesn't show on the analog odometer.)

I thank frequent oil changes for the engines longevity. It's never been apart, nothing has ever failed mechanically, and it uses absolutely NO oil. I used GTX 20/50 for years, but recently switched to Rotella 15/40.

That is a really nice bike. I'm very impressed that it doesn't burn any oil for it's age. What has been your OCI?

Originally Posted by 02SE
I still have my Cycle magazine with the Vmax wheelying on the front cover, and the relative dyno graphs from all the hot bikes of that time. Of course the Vmax 'graph' towered over the others. As a teenager, I felt lucky to have a V65 Sabre (one of the lower powered competitors represented) at the time.

High performance bikes have been an obsession, since then.

Congrats on a nice example.

The V Max set the baseline for Dynojet dyno's , They usually make about 115 to 120 HP.

http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html

Originally Posted by eddy21
Originally Posted by 02SE
I still have my Cycle magazine with the Vmax wheelying on the front cover, and the relative dyno graphs from all the hot bikes of that time. Of course the Vmax 'graph' towered over the others. As a teenager, I felt lucky to have a V65 Sabre (one of the lower powered competitors represented) at the time.

High performance bikes have been an obsession, since then.

Congrats on a nice example.

The V Max set the baseline for Dynojet dyno's , They usually make about 115 to 120 HP.

http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html

Yes, I know.

Dobeck wanted an impressive number coming out of his new inertia dyno.

That's why I've always referred to Dynojet horsepower, and actual horsepower, when asked or commenting about the amount of power a given bike is making.

I've never forgot our might Max trip...

While stationed at McConnell AFB Kansas in 1985 the local Yamaha
dealer took delivery of his first Vmax... he organized a week end ride
from Wichita to Eureka Springs Arkansas to gain first hand seat of the
pants knowledge to sell Yamaha's powerful V4 to prospective
customers... We quickly learned that he would signal to the poor
unsuspecting cagers a passing maneuver by lighting up the rear tire...
White smoke was our Que to drop a gear and disappear around the next
bend...

Vmax came from Yamaha's 1977 prototype V4 Endurance Racer...
[Linked Image]

Our group in 1985 1)Me and my 500 Interceptor 2)Kelly 750 Turbo 3)Steve
Yamaha 4)Frank 750 Interceptor
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
This is a great thread, wish there were more of these types of posts.
25 years old, over 100,000 miles and the bike still runs and looks great!

Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
I've never forgot our might Max trip...

While stationed at McConnell AFB Kansas in 1985 the local Yamaha
dealer took delivery of his first Vmax

would that have been Jim's Import Yamaha or K&N across town?
yes, i'm from there.

did the Vmax take the 1/4 record from the 1100 Katana or the other way around?

and then Yamaha took the same motor and detuned it and put it in the Venture Royal

Originally Posted by sunruh

would that have been Jim's Import Yamaha or K&N across town?
yes, i'm from there.

It must have been Jim's Import Yamaha because it was on E 31st street near Eastside Honda...
I made friends with a Ducati rider who worked at K&N... He liked my homemade foam filters and
wanted a set to fit his velocity stacks... I was also a member of the Kawasaki dealer Sport Riders
Connection Club with members Ken People and Blake Edwards
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back