Havoline ProDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JLTD
Maybe it was a bad tank of gas for some reason...working with a sample size of 1?

6 months data on last oil change and 1 year data before change. I don't have enough data on this oil change cause it's only been about 150 miles as of now but I do keep a log. I do know my lie meter is constantly climbing and van is quieter at 1500 RPM.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Originally Posted by JLTD
Maybe it was a bad tank of gas for some reason...working with a sample size of 1?

6 months data on last oil change and 1 year data before change. I don't have enough data on this oil change cause it's only been about 150 miles as of now but I do keep a log. I do know my lie meter is constantly climbing and van is quieter at 1500 RPM.

How many miles did you have the Havoline in?

I don't know what happened but I just filled up today from the trip and had a hand calculated fuel mileage of 25.7. This is the best I have ever averaged and the trip took an hour longer than usual each way due to Baton Rouge traffic. I guess I worried about nothing. 25% city 75% hwy

How could this have happened with the Havoline oil still in it? You posted this on October 1, now you say you changed back to Vavoline why?????

I had Havoline ProDs in for 6 months and 3000 miles. I had one tank I got surprised with 25.7 then next tank in town was back to 16 mpg. This is where mileage plays a factor as I just got home straight off a trip and needed gas which other times I go s week or two after the trip. Less mileage out of the tank but fuel mileage increased caused it was mostly hwy. I will be making another trip next weekend so I will see what happens. This is why I keep track of fuel mileage. There are to many variables.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
I'm running ProDS 5w-20 in my Ridgeline. Guess I better dump it. Uh, no.

Yes on that note you'd better move right on to one of the $50 boutique oils.
crackmeup2.gif

I've been running the 5w30 d1g1 in my Caravan for about 7K miles and its been great. MPG is right where it should be. I've got a box of 5w30 d1g2 ready to go this weekend for her. The same oil is going on the Malibu as well.

Update. It was oil. I just ran a tank of fuel and got 20.44 which is best for mixed driving in 6 months. I took a trip today and my hwy mileage was 27.4 beating my best Havoline ProDs of 25.7. I have recovered my 2 mpg loss by just changing oil. I also checked tractor that had Havoline ProDs 5w30 in it and for second time this summer I was below the low mark so it must not be able to handle 100 degree heat with 3600 RPM riding mower that is air cooled. My personal experience and yours May differ but I will not trust this oil in my cars or equipment.

It must have been that sticky clingy group 2+ base they put in it that caused friction and increased burn off?

Update. It was oil. I just ran a tank of fuel and got 20.44 which is best for mixed driving in 6 months. I took a trip today and my hwy mileage was 27.4 beating my best Havoline ProDs of 25.7. I have recovered my 2 mpg loss by just changing oil. I also checked tractor that had Havoline ProDs 5w30 in it and for second time this summer I was below the low mark so it must not be able to handle 100 degree heat with 3600 RPM riding mower that is air cooled. My personal experience and yours May differ but I will not trust this oil in my cars or equipment.

LOL.

Ok here are updated numbers.
14 tanks fuel Napa Synthetic Blend 20.74 mpg. 600 hwy miles.
11 tanks fuel Havoline ProDs 19.88 mpg. 1200 hwy miles
3 tanks Valvoline Daily Protection 21.53 mpg. 170 hwy miles

No matter which way you look at it the Havoline ProDs didn't work for me. It lost 1/2 qt oil in less than 3000 miles in van and in lawn equipment it is dropping also
Again my personal experience

Some say you wouldn't notice that little of a drop in Mileage but even 1mpg loss is 20 miles per tank and with fuel cost factored in is 2.10. With 2.5 tanks a month it equals 66.00 a year. I call that a win.

No matter which way you look at it the Havoline ProDs didn't work for me. It lost 1/2 qt oil in less than 3000 miles in van and in lawn equipment it is dropping also
Again my personal experience

Some say you wouldn't notice that little of a drop in Mileage but even 1mpg loss is 20 miles per tank and with fuel cost factored in is 2.10. With 2.5 tanks a month it equals 66.00 a year. I call that a win.

My favorite flavor is purple.

Most of that difference is the variability in the energy density of gasoline. One article I posted once showed it varied about 4% even at the same gas station. It is impossible to have enough resolution with everyday driving to detect the differences between motor oils.

There is also variability at the gas pump. Even if you use the same pump at the same station each time, there will be slight differences.

And the problem isn't really the measurement of the change, it is being able to attribute it to one isolated variable. That's the problem. People come on here all the time and document fuel economy differences and try to then claim it is a result of one variable, but that's just not possible in real-world driving. In that type of driving there is zero control over tens if not a hundred variables.

Originally Posted by kschachn
And the problem isn't really the measurement of the change, it is being able to attribute it to one isolated variable. That's the problem. People come on here all the time and document fuel economy differences and try to then claim it is a result of one variable, but that's just not possible in real-world driving. In that type of driving there is zero control over tens if not a hundred variables.

So you are saying with one oil it is x then another is y over a wide various reasons it dropped but the minute you go back to x everything suddenly goes back to normal but the only change was oil but that can't be it. Funny how government has worked with oil companies to improve fuel mileage and if oil companies advertised better fuel mileage it would be a lie. WOW. Over 9k miles of information is wrong. Go figure.

Now do I dump this or wait? 2500 miles on oil since April so I was going to April then decided to change at 5k since mileage is down now I know how much it costs more I just want to cut my losses and dump it. It is a shame cause I don't have any problems other than fuel mileage. Opinions appreciated.

If you are obsessing about fuel economy to this extent, my opinion is that you dump the Caravan for something more fuel efficient. That WILL solve your mysterious fuel economy issue.

Originally Posted by kschachn

So you are saying with one oil it is x then another is y over a wide various reasons it dropped but the minute you go back to x everything suddenly goes back to normal but the only change was oil but that can't be it. Funny how government has worked with oil companies to improve fuel mileage and if oil companies advertised better fuel mileage it would be a lie. WOW. Over 9k miles of information is wrong. Go figure.

Real testing is done with test engines in controlled environments and everything measured exactly and performed exactly the same. These are far different from you filling up in all kinds of weather and different traffic patterns and different driver patterns with no measurement standards.

Your fuel economy results are within a margin of error and in your case that margin is large compared to a lab test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back