Valve Lubrication help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I have a dilemma here. Bit of a SNAFU happened with my engine, took a little head scratching to figure out.
Long story short:
Just got an engine that had been sitting for 12 years to run. Seemed to run ok (no driving as it is not drivable at the moment). I go to start it again a few days later and hear an awful sound coming from the valve cover, like someone smacking it with a Hammer!, [censored]??
SO after a thorough investigation It was determined that there was varnish in the fuel tank, which was deposited on the intake valves, which made them sticky and slowed the return, so once the camlobe "left" the cam, there was gap, then the lifter smacked the camshaft making that sound (YES im pretty sure of all that).

I have drained the tank, I put 3 gal in, and got 3 gal out (car idled for about 20-30min) so there wasn't much gas in the tank to begin with, I flushed the tank, left acetone in it over night; there was some viscous, syrup like varnish which I was able to wipe out; flushed the fuel lines and injectors with acetone. I ran Acetone through the fuel system (powering the fuel pump directly) directly from the acetone can, but it never ran clear, I figured it would flush out any varnish/fuel left in the system and eventually spray clear into the glass containers, but it did not, was always yellow.(I didn't have that much acetone left to use after putting it in the tank)
Also I pushed the intake valves open and cleaned the valve stems and lubed them.

NOW: I'm sure I didn't get all the varnish out of the system. (and removing the tank and thoroughly cleaning it is not possible)
So, im sure it will take several tanks full of gas to dissolve whats left. I have placed one of those see through fuel filters between the tank and the pump.

My thought now, is that the best I can do now, is to keep the valve stems lubricated (on the intake port side) while going through tanks of fuel (which will be a while since this car will be rarely driven)

I'd like to find the best fuel additive that will actually leave some lubrication on the valve stems, to counteract any Fuel varnish deposits.

I currently put some lucas "upper cyclinder lubricant" and berrymans b-12 in 2 gal of fresh gas (and may add some marvel mystery oil I have half a bottle of)

What do you guys suggest? and should I fill the tank to dilute and varnish OR keep it low and run with the additives to keep them concentrated and help keep the valve stems "wet" with lubricant?

Any additive suggestions?

Sounds like a perfect candidate for MMO in the fuel to help clean and lube the top end.

However, I'd guess the valves hit the pistons and that's where the noise came from.

well I guess its possible, but there were no marks on the pistons (in the layer of soot/oil) as I checked with a bore scope. and the valves don't seem bent,
Im thinking I might get some 2stroke oil and put it in the fuel

Redline sI-1 or Amsoil PI are a combo ucl and highest concentration of the best known cleaner = PEA. See the thread in the forum, both products are roughly 50/50 cleaner and lube.

I would also run your favorite additive that contains a lube . Which is best ? No idea .

I might start out with a quart of ATF in the tank ?

Im thinking im going to run some 2 cycle oil, but how much?

and do you think its best to fill the tank or keep it low (while using additive) both for "flushing" the tank, and for strength of the additive (per gallon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back