Reusing oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started an oil change and realized I didn't have any spare filters in stock. The filter currently on the car is a Fram ultra guard and it only has 5k on it so I have no issue using it again.

My question is would you guys normally uninstall it and drain it out? I thought I remembered a thread about filters not resealing well once unscrewed. Just wanted to get some opinions.

2012 Honda Pilot if that makes any difference

you will get some dirty oil retained but it should be small compared to what you replaced,

1/2qt vs 5qts. you're running 5k mile oci and probably running a synthetic. protection wise youll be fine,

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I would leave it on; no question.

Jeff: how does the law work there on oil filters ? - seems BrocL had mentioned a requirement to run 2X oil changes ?

When I run 2X I never break the seal - in my case it leaves 1 quart out of an 8 quart fill - but I'm not running over 7K on 10k+ oil … so no worries

Originally Posted by 4WD
When I run 2X I never break the seal - in my case it leaves 1 quart out of an 8 quart fill - but I'm not running over 7K on 10k+ oil … so no worries

Like 4WD if I use Fram Ultra's or Mobil 1 oil filters I'll use them for 2X without breaking the seal. This could be 10,000 to 15,000 miles of total use. Our vehicles were bought new and well taken care of so I don't worry about the filters clogging.

Whimsey

I have dumped them and they resealed. I have left them on and they reseal. This is changing from summer 20W50 to winter 5W40 I see no difference when I replace the filter in the spring in the color of the oil or in the clean of the engine.

Rod.

You can leave it on or drain it. Makes no difference. Oil filter gaskets are simple rectangular cross-section o-rings and the pressure they seal is low. THEY WILL RE-SEAL....contrary to the worry-warts on here.

Advocates for both sides! Just as I expected lol, thanks fellas

Leave it on!

If you want to reuse the filter for another OCI, DO NOT unscrew it for any reason! If you unscrew it, replace it!

I have NEVER EVER EVER had a "seal problem" reusing a filter after being screwed back on again.

But, anyway - - leave it in place. It is not hurting anything.

Honda only recommends replacing the filter very other OCI in any case so no foul here whatsoever.

Leave it oil place and relax.

There is more oil inside the engine lurking elsewhere than whats inside the filter anyway.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rolla07
Why you running only a 5k interval? Personally, id just run the oil longer and change the oil and filter.

It was just conventional. Plus, it was already draining when I realized I didn't have another filter. Synthetic in this time so I'm not sweating it.

Originally Posted by Ursatdx
You could buy another and install it.

My original thought, but the filter is supposedly capable for 20k so I'm not worried about it until next oil change

Over the life of the oil change, the cost of a filter is only a fraction of a percent per mile. why wouldn't you change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back