Are diesel trucks getting cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They sell A LOT of Diesel pickups. It's only a small percentage that actually have problems with the emissions systems. Mine has had absolutely no problems, and it tows far more than any of the gas powered pickups are rated for.

I don't know if they are getting cheaper but we can't seem to keep one certain brand out of the dammed shop. This week Monday morning first job 5 miles out of town 1 went into limp mode. First shop 2 weeks to even look at it. Dealer 5 days to even look at it. 3rd shop got it in same afternoon. Particulate filter. 10 days lead time to even get the part. Pretty much wasted a half day on this pos!

Originally Posted by 02SE
It's only a small percentage that actually have problems with the emissions systems. Mine has had absolutely no problems, and it tows far more than any of the gas powered pickups are rated for.

I think the key to SCR/DPF longevity and reliability is how you drive the truck. Towing and highway trips should allow for transparent regens and sufficient EGTs to minimize the amount of extra fuel the ECM will command to keep temps where it should be.

But then again, I think someone here had to load a tune to delete the EGT/EGR from a Ford 6.7PSD so it wouldn't shut down - it was in an ambulance.

They sell A LOT of Diesel pickups. It's only a small percentage that actually have problems with the emissions systems. Mine has had absolutely no problems, and it tows far more than any of the gas powered pickups are rated for.

You also take care of your truck. So many people come in complaining about the DEF, only wanting a gallon when the system is empty because they don't want to pay for 5 gallons. I hear more meltdowns from first time diesel owners about how much oil changes, fuel filters, and air filters cost than any other customer.

I really need a gas about 90% of the time. Would run great and really my diesel mileage is nothing to write home about. What made my decision and supported the extra cost was that 10%. A gas will not do to great with 20,000 plus pounds behind it. Add the control of the exhaust brake and there is no comparison. None. I can haul more hay in less trips using less fuel at a higher speed. When those days come, my diesel levels the cost.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

You also take care of your truck. So many people come in complaining about the DEF, only wanting a gallon when the system is empty because they don't want to pay for 5 gallons. I hear more meltdowns from first time diesel owners about how much oil changes, fuel filters, and air filters cost than any other customer.

Actually, using gallon by gallon is if not making a lot of miles is better. DEF crystallizes and very easily can clog ventilation openings.
But, I highly doubt they are using gallon by gallong for that reason
smile.gif

Once the price difference between gas and diesel reflected the one-third energetic content difference, it made no sense to buy a diesel any longer.

They won't last enough longer to pay the price differential. This ain't 1996 with 1950s gas motors gussied up with EFi.

Diesel requires IRS applicable miles and constantly towing 15k or more. That's the only guy who needs it and can make it pay.

Emissions is just an excuse, mainly.

Given that a 400HP gasser Chevy can see 25-mpg at 55-mph, diesel is for dummies.

I cant wait to see the real world 7.3L gas and GM 6.6 gas. My thoughts is that they will sway a lot of diesel buyers who tow under 15k.

There are three main types of diesel buyers. 1. The Bro Truck Fad Guy, spends 15k on lift, wheels, tires, lights, and drives it to the gym and mall 2. Heavy Hauler Guy, he actually needs it. 3. The Rich guy who must check every option box on the most high trim available and doesnt care what it costs as long as its "the best"

Originally Posted by dareo
I cant wait to see the real world 7.3L gas and GM 6.6 gas. My thoughts is that they will sway a lot of diesel buyers who tow under 15k.

There are three main types of diesel buyers. 1. The Bro Truck Fad Guy, spends 15k on lift, wheels, tires, lights, and drives it to the gym and mall 2. Heavy Hauler Guy, he actually needs it. 3. The Rich guy who must check every option box on the most high trim available and doesnt care what it costs as long as its "the best"

So in a free country, is there anything wrong with any of those three "types"?

AFAIC, if someone wants, or needs, or can afford whatever, more power to them.

Yeah, but 1. is the guy ready for the next time Houston floods, LoL
(and who came to our small town post Harvey to get lifted trucks)

I will never forget how we were made to feel bad for owning an H3 with a 5 cylinder. It was on the top 10 gas guzzler list when it got the same mileage as the F150 and Toyota SUV that both out sold it many, many, times over - but they were not on the (hit) list.
H3 had 4.56 gears - duh

Originally Posted by 4WD

I will never forget how we were made to feel bad for owning an H3 with a 5 cylinder. It was on the top 10 gas guzzler list when it got the same mileage as the F150 and Toyota SUV that both out sold it many, many, times over - but they were not on the (hit) list.
H3 had 4.56 gears - duh

FJ Cruiser? Cool! H3? Eww you're ruining the environment. If Hummer made the FJ Cruiser and Toyota made the H3 it would be the opposite.

As long as they dont delete emissions, roll coal, or crash into stuff i dont care.

Originally Posted by 4WD

H3 had 4.56 gears - duh

Yep, I know what you're saying. I owned a V10 Excursion for awhile. Some coward(s) in another State actually vandalized it by keying what I'm sure they thought were witty messages into the paint. I always thought it was telling that they lacked the intestinal fortitude to carry out their pathetic act while the owner was present.

As long as they dont delete emissions, roll coal, or crash into stuff i dont care.

Here in CO are going after that big time, as they should.

What a crime - older school teacher near me drives an Excursion diesel they bought when they first come out. She has driven it so long I can remember it full of little league players who went on to win the world series - are all grown. And the last time I talked to her she played the organ at my mom's funeral. Horrible woman.

Originally Posted by 4WD
What a crime - older school teacher near me drives an Excursion diesel they bought when they first come out. She has driven it so long I can remember it full of little league players who went on to win the world series - are all grown. And the last time I talked to her she played the organ at my mom's funeral. Horrible woman.

What that has to do with rolling coal?

I don't fit into any of those 3, I started out pulling a 5 wheel camper & still have a 40' Gooseneck....But never did it daily or for a living.
My truck does whatever I need it to do....I like the power curve of a Diesel, No gas engine will ever compare! My LBZ has no fueling modifications. But the EGR got blocked somehow & the Catalytic Converter fell off
grin.gif

I dont think you have to pull your gooseneck trailer daily to be considered the heavy hauler guy. im talking about your typical consumer buying new or a few years old. An LBZ is practically a classic now, a great truck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back