Conv When Car Manual Calls For Syn Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
My owners manual recommends a syn blend 5w20 oil. I bought 6 quarts of Havoline 5w20 conv oil in a box.

Would it be wise to run it as is or should I blend it with some Havoline Pro DS 5w20?

I'm not due for my next OCI until March 2020.

That's good to know, thanks.
In that case I will run Havoline 5w20 conv at my next OCI.

How about QS Ultimate Durability conv 5w20, is that also a syn blend by any chance?
I was talking to the tech at a Walmart this morning about possibly running their $20 pit stop with QS conv and a Fram filter. He says they torque all drain bolts to spec.

My city doesn't accept used oil at the curb any more, so I was thinking I'd get my OCIs at WM and let them deal with the used oil, etc.
They also use bulk oils in bags, so long term it's better for the environment.

He told me QS and Havoline are both "watery" oils. I used to think that about Havoline but not QS.

I'm going to run this Havoline conv next OCI. I can't attempt to speak about this oil until I've ran it and seen how it seems to perform.

ConocoPhillips (Ford) has called theirs syn blend for years. Others have it conventional, same stuff. If it's SN+ it's really syn blend. Worry not. The QS for twenty bucks at Wally is a good deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud
Is this the Fiesta? I didn't know anyone rec'd a Blend.

Yes

Ford has "recommended" Motorcraft syn-blend oil for at least 20 years, and millions of vehicles with billions of miles have used "conventional" oil with no issues.

As said though, a SN+ (and most SN) oil is a blend (since there is not definition of blend, there is no way to know what percent is what), so you are fine, especially with the Havoline box, it is a very under-rated oil.

watery oil. LOL!!!! I guess he likes pancake syrup in his sump.

Oils today are all very good. you can close your eye and grab any bottle of the correct viscocity oil at walmart and it will run 5k ocis just as good as any other. supertech included,

I used to say, If synthetic isn't really synthetic then what is in a syn blend?!

Also I used to say," There are no conventional ILSAC passenger car oils." They are all mid group blends (II, III) to meet F.E. Standards

But, This terminology doesn't matter.

It's all service category (SN+) , ILSAC GF-5/6 requirements
then any other manufacturer's req approval on top of that.

I forget what ford's spec. for NA 5W20 small engine is these days.

I am thinking Ford WSS-M2C948-B for turbo and Ford WSS-M2C913-C for others

But I'm not sure.

Ford guys to chime in!

Last edited:
The owners manual gives you a spec of the oil . find any oil that meets the spec.

Originally Posted by PimTac
What is the engine in this Fiesta?

Mine has the 1.6 Liter non turbo 4.
I think it has about 124 HP.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
watery oil. LOL!!!! I guess he likes pancake syrup in his sump.

Oils today are all very good. you can close your eye and grab any bottle of the correct viscocity oil at walmart and it will run 5k ocis just as good as any other. supertech included,

Thin might have been a better word for the way this oil used to seem to me. Havoline seemed too thin for some of the 4 cylinder bikes I had in the 80s and 90s. I would run 10w40 in some bikes, and 20w50 in the GS1100E if I remember right. My last bikes I ran Mobil Delvac 15w40 and Rotella and they held up amazingly well.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke

Thanks for answering. For a smaller engine like that I wouldn't get too hung up on conventional or syn blend oils. Synthetics are competitively priced. Find a oils that meets the specs described in the manual and run with it.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke

Thanks for answering. For a smaller engine like that I wouldn't get too hung up on conventional or syn blend oils. Synthetics are competitively priced. Find a oils that meets the specs described in the manual and run with it.

Change your own, small savings, use synthetic.
Get it changed, big savings, used conventional or a blend that calls itself a conventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back