Canadian Odometers in Kilometers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by csandste

Don't mean to high jack this thread but my understanding is that the registration is in your car so (along with an insurance card) you can prove to a cop who owns the vehicle. The title is safely locked away at home. If the registration doubles as a title, what's to keep someone from stealing your car and selling it. (Understanding that Canadians are nicer and much more honest).

Your original ownership slip provided by the Ministry requires signatories of both parties to transfer - there's a provision on the slip for this. For additional measure you should only keep a photocopy in your vehicle and the original on your person.

Originally Posted by KevGuy
Do you think the USA will ever go metric wrt vehicles ?

Would you fellow Americans like to go metric for vehicles?

lol.gif

I will leave it there.

Right after Canada quits building houses with 2x4's and then selling them by the SF.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
From Snagglefoot:

"Canada does not use "Titles" so the importer would do the paper work to get a title issued. Not difficult.The whole process can be done at the border crossing. There are car carriers crossing the border daily south of my town."

Learning new things well into geezerhood. What does Canada use in lieu of a title?

A vehicle registration issued by the province in which the car is insured. When selling the car, the owner would sign the back of the registration slip and the new owner would take the slip to a registry office and they would issue a new vehicle registration under the new owner's name.

Don't mean to high jack this thread but my understanding is that the registration is in your car so (along with an insurance card) you can prove to a cop who owns the vehicle. The title is safely locked away at home. If the registration doubles as a title, what's to keep someone from stealing your car and selling it. (Understanding that Canadians are nicer and much more honest).

Nope. No titles up here. I suppose if the buyer paid cash to a car thief, he'd be out of luck. Most car buying is done with a certified check from a bank. The thief would have to cash it, leaving a trail. Buyer beware.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ndfergy

Your original ownership slip provided by the Ministry requires signatories of both parties to transfer - there's a provision on the slip for this.

And we all know that if a thief steals your car, he would never forge your signature to sell it.

Originally Posted by ET16
U.K still uses miles.

Yep. But our speedometers must also be capable of showing km/h, either instead of or as well as mph. Odometer is in miles though, as are road distances. And we still have fuel economy stated in miles per gallon, even though it is illegal to sell fuel in gallons. We are largely metric over here (by law) but retain miles for long distances and stones for personal weight (1 stone = 14 lb). Horses come in hands (1 hand = 4 inches) and beds are sold by the foot (a standard double bed is 4'6", a king size double is 5'). Cricket and football (soccer) pitches are measured in yards. Horse races are in furlongs. Cars are described in horsepower. Yep, we're a special kind of metric.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Your original ownership slip provided by the Ministry requires signatories of both parties to transfer - there's a provision on the slip for this.

And we all know that if a thief steals your car, he would never forge your signature to sell it.

Not sure how things work in your neck of the woods but it's not that simple here in Ontario. By law you must provide the buyer, in most instances, the "Used vehicle Information package" obtained only by the seller from the ministry. This signed document along with proof of insurance, drivers license and the vehicle portion of the sellers permit must be provided by the buyer to the ministry in person for the transfer to take place.

Not sure how things work in your neck of the woods but it's not that simple here in Ontario. By law you must provide the buyer, in most instances, the "Used vehicle Information package" obtained only by the seller from the ministry. This signed document along with proof of insurance, drivers license and the vehicle portion of the sellers permit must be provided by the buyer to the ministry in person for the transfer to take place.

You mean if I'm selling my car I have to make a trip to the ministry (I assume a government office) and wait in line to get a "Used vehicle Information package" before I can sell? Then I have to go back again WITH the buyer to transfer ownership? And what happens if one party is on the east coast and the other on the west coast?

Ministry, aka Service Ontario locations similar to your DMV. No, you don't have to go back with the buyer. See link below:

Link

Ok but how does this prevent a thief from selling a stolen car with the registration in the glovebox? Why can't he pick up a Used vehicle Information package to give to the buyer? Is it linked by VIN?

We are told to never leave that stuff in the glovebox. It's a thiefs dream come true. It is also a good headstart for an identity thief.

My truck was sold in Canada with a MPH speedometer. Verified with the original owner. His phone number and name were in the owners manual.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
Originally Posted by ET16
U.K still uses miles.

Yeah we do. I still have no idea why considering we use the metric system for everything else.
33.gif

Why are tire diameters still in inches when the width is in metric?

So are in Continental Europe and not only for tyres. Home pipes (diameter) are measured in inches for example.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by chrisri
So are in Continental Europe and not only for tyres. Home pipes (diameter) are measured in inches for example.

That's interesting, because here we largely use mm for domestic piping.
The only things we are legally allowed to buy in old units is beer and milk by the pint (oh and gold in troy ounces).

Originally Posted by weasley
Originally Posted by chrisri

That's interesting, because here we largely use mm for domestic piping.
The only things we are legally allowed to buy in old units is beer and milk by the pint (oh and gold in troy ounces).

I've never thought about it really, but now that you say that you use metric for plumbing diameters in UK and we continentals use inches I have to say it is interesting indeed. 1/2 inch pipes are standard for in house plumbing AFAIK.

Half inch is typically talked about by old-timers and there's plenty of it installed in older houses, but these days it's 15mm and 22mm pipes. Note this is external diameter, whereas "half-inch" is bore diameter. This means that half-inch pipe is just under 16mm in external diameter - close to 15mm but different enough to not be compatible with cutters, joints etc.

I have to correct myself. Had a friend who is in a business and it seems that PPR pipes are indeed metric - 20mm, 25, 32, 40, etc. Old metal were in inches. Sorry for misinformation., guess I'm getting old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back