2020 Hyundai Santa Fe factory fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
That clears it up then. We know they were using Shell in 2011.

It's still being used...I updated my post. And read the Hyundai forums thread.. there's more relevant and recent info..or persist in going down this self made rabbit hole, makes no difference to me....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

It's still being used...I updated my post. And read the Hyundai forums thread.. there's more relevant and recent info..or persist in going down this self made rabbit hole, makes no difference to me....

And I've updated my comment as well. Two can play that game.

And no, I'm not going to read other threads.

Bye. ⬛ï¸â¬›ï¸

Originally Posted by knerml
This is all guess work.

Hyundai/Kia does have a marketing agreement with Shell.

But, it is anybody guess what the fill is. Vendors probably change over time based on purchase agreements.

Might even be Hyundai's own brand of oil.

It's obvious nobody actually bothered to check out the link I provided, otherwise we wouldn't be reading "nobody knows for sure" posts.

Here, allow me to make it easy for y'all...
[Linked Image]

From the 2019 Palisade owners manual. QS/Shell is still the "preferred" oil for Kia/Hyundai...
[Linked Image]

Another case of great information blown over

From what I could find Hyundai/Kia also use Shell for their Gear oils in diffs and transfer cases as well as ATFs

She'll spirax products are factory fill for driveline. QS got engine oils.

Originally Posted by donnyj08

From what I could find Hyundai/Kia also use Shell for their Gear oils in diffs and transfer cases as well as ATFs

Would make sense. Why would they source all their fluids from different suppliers, barring it being something that Shell doesn't mfg...but there's very little in the way of fluids that Shell doesn't make.

This relationship is a good deal for Shell.. I'm certain a large % of owners see the "Hyundai recommends..." blurb and that's what they go with. And to be frank, it's hard to make a case for NOT using QS. It's pretty darn good oil...

Originally Posted by donnyj08

Would make sense. Why would they source all their fluids from different suppliers, barring it being something that Shell doesn't mfg...but there's very little in the way of fluids that Shell doesn't make.

This relationship is a good deal for Shell.. I'm certain a large % of owners see the "Hyundai recommends..." blurb and that's what they go with. And to be frank, it's hard to make a case for NOT using QS. It's pretty darn good oil...

I totally agree. The confusing part is when Hyundai specs ACEA A5 and Recommends QS. QSUD isn't rated A5 currently so that's odd.

That said I may start using QSUD 5w30 in our Tucson anyway. It was my go to for the escape and I'm quite fond of QSUD.

Last edited:
What I find odd though is Kia uses Total as factory fill and is recommended in the owners manual. I have never seen Total readily available here in the US, and the Kia dealer we bought the vehicle from (a certified used vehicle that they did the oil change on) uses Mobil Super Syn for their oil changes (but may have Total available).

1:42 of this vid says that Total is the factory fill:

And owners manual shows:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Looks to me any 5w-30 would work.

Considering the Total we don't normally find - why not an easy to find Dexos 5w30 knowing it gets tested for most of the right stuff.

Originally Posted by blupupher
What I find odd though is Kia uses Total as factory fill and is recommended in the owners manual. I have never seen Total readily available here in the US, and the Kia dealer we bought the vehicle from (a certified used vehicle that they did the oil change on) uses Mobil Super Syn for their oil changes (but may have Total available).

And owners manual shows:
[Linked Image]

Yeah Kia started recommending Total some years ago. The Kia Palisade and Telluride share the same engine but get different factory fill. My guess is Kia models built in S. Korea like the Palisade, get the Total and Hyundai models built state side get the QS?🤔

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Looks to me any 5w-30 would work.

Considering the Total we don't normally find - why not an easy to find Dexos 5w30 knowing it gets tested for most of the right stuff.

Note even close in overall performance compared to a VAG spec or MB spec.
But its a min, certain U.S. brands could possibly eclipse the spec by a wide margin in certain areas.

But there is likely no magic pill to keep these engines from blowing up.

My SIL lost hers in her fairly new Tucson. At least they provided a new Sorento loaner for the almost 3 months she waited.

Big Upgrade
smile.gif

Originally Posted by blupupher

And owners manual shows:
[Linked Image]

Yeah Kia started recommending Total some years ago. The Kia Palisade and Telluride share the same engine but get different factory fill. My guess is Kia models built in S. Korea like the Palisade, get the Total and Hyundai models built state side get the QS?🤔

Kia Telluride
Hyundai Palisades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back