Considering a Chevy Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I don't know many specifics on them, my friends father had one as a company car in 08-12. The company decided to axe the car after 80k miles because of the cost to repair. My half sister also had an 09 for awhile and said it was the worst car she's ever owned.

The only Chevy Maliboo of the vintages you listed I would even remotely consider, is a base model with the ecotec 4cyl as suggested above.

If you could expand your budget up to 2008+, I don't think those were as bad as the older generations. The later model year, the better IMO.

Last edited:
One of the best cars i own, 08 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6 VVT. Don't even consider the Malibu with the anemic 4 cyl. The V6 is the only way to go with these cars.
cheers3.gif

IMG_0995.JPG

People degrade these old GM's but my niece picked up a 2004 Monte Carlo for a few thousand 4 years ago and drove it thru college and now is selling($1000) simple because it is embarrassing for her to show up at professional job. She did not have that many problems with it at ALL.

Visual:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by madRiver
People degrade these old GM's but my niece picked up a 2004 Monte Carlo for a few thousand 4 years ago and drove it thru college and now is selling($1000) simple because it is embarrassing for her to show up at professional job. She did not have that many problems with it at ALL.

That's a 3800 W-Body....Totally different car.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Yep, had a couple - they were both good cars.

Did not realize. If she had a Malibu that worked as well she'd still drive it. Monte Carlo has absolutely no class.

Those 3800 Monte Carlos were sweet cars!

I have 2006 Malibu with the 2.2 ecotec engine and 230,000 miles on the odometer. It's been a little better than average in my opinion. Original starter, alternator, A/C compressor, timing chains, transmission, wheel bearings, rear drums, ignition components, ball joints, all rear suspension joints/arms, steering rack/motor, inner tie rods, radiator, and a/c condenser coil.

Replaced; outer tie rods, front strut assemblies, front sway bar links and bushings, rotors/pads, water pump [pain to change], many lock/window switches have been cleaned or replaced, universal slip joint from steering column to rack, exhaust flex joint, fuel sender in tank, trunk lid springs, rear coil springs, remote key fob needed a new key pad, cam chain tensioner, rear shocks, rear sway bar bushings, transmission cooler lines, thermostat, serpentine belt, plugs one time, battery twice,

Maintenance, oil change n filter every 7,500 miles, cleaned MAF sensor and throttle body, trunk key lock keeps seizing requiring lube, oil filter cap replaced, I spray it for rust, transmission fluid changed twice,

Cons: not a good looking car, noisy under load, light grey interior show the slightest dirt, can't take much weight in the trunk, it's an economy car, I replaced the fronts struts with cheap Chinese units so it rides like excrement, front seats uncomfortable after 3-4 hours.

Pros: large interior, large rear seat, good fuel economy, rear seats and front passenger seat fold down allowing 8ft plus pass through [2X4's]. Generally a very easy car to drive, everything is in the right spot, I can see why it was a rental car,

Inspecting a car, look for leaks, water pump, oil, trans fluid, listen for suspension knocks, rust along the rockers and rear wheel wells, twist the steering wheel aggressively testing the electric steering, you don't want any unusual tugging of the wheel. Test all power locks/switches and window motors/switches. Listen for timing chain noise. Some years had bad chains that usually with few miles.

Recalls: electric steering sensor, trans shift cable, fuel level sensor, BCM connectors and brake position switch.

But... but... the Malibu was Motor Trend's Car Of The Year for 1997. /sarc.

Which means: GM had a huge ad budget to target COTY that year.

2.4 Quad used from 97-2003.

2.2 Eco used from 04-08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back