Everyday bug cleaning without harming wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know what the deal is here in Oklahoma, but bugs are OUT. It's like Mt. Doom opened for all the bugs. After spending all weekend cleaning, polishing and waxing all of the Honda's, it just irks me that so many bugs are coated on the front of the cars. I know from experience that if I don't get them off soon, it will be a bear to get the front clean and stain free. So my question, what's out there that I could use on a day to day basis to clean off the bugs when I get home that won't strip the wax off? I know if I use certain soaps, it will. Water just smears them all over. I though windex, but then again, I re-thought that and boy, that was even dumber. Wonder if there is something that could be as simple as a wipe off. I've read some things about a dryer sheet soaked in water, but that's all I know. Anybody got any kind of ideas?

Soaking them with quick detailer spray makes them melt off effortlessly. Just spray until soaked, go do something else for 2 minutes and then come back and wipe them off.

Every time I clean any bug residue off our cars, I can't help but think if there was a way to bottle fresh, liquid bug juice, they would have an adhesive product superior to "Gorilla Glue". Thankfully here in Arizona we don't get too many of them. Back in the Midwest thousands of them would swarm around any light left on after sunset.

Quick detailer spray....didn't think of that. I'll have to try that out. I wonder exactly what's in those dryer sheets that everyone raves about that works so well? The ones I have at home aren't exactly the softest....wouldn't that mar the paint?

Here in FL, we have "love bug" season and, at times, the bugs are rather heavily concentrated over the highways. Leading to nearly complete coverage of the front of the vehicle.

I know this, the bug "juices" are damaging and absolutely, positively, strip off wax and etch the clear-coat.

With this in mind, heavy bug coverage may, by itself, strip wax.

I use Windex, let it soak for 10 minutes or so, reapply and soak some more. Then wash my truck normally with the soft car washing brush n soap. Cleans 'em right off without any significant effort.

This is not uncommon:

[Linked Image from dailycommercial.com]

Last edited:
I remember once in 1980 I flew down to Orlando, rented a car, and drove to Cocoa Beach for a Space Shuttle launch. I took that "Bee Line Expressway" from Orlando across to the Atlantic side. It was the time of year when those small, yellow butterflies were everywhere. By the time I got to Cocoa Beach the car was starting to overheat because the grill was solid from bug guts.

There was a car wash next to the Howard Johnsons I was staying at. They had some type of pre wash in those pump up bug sprayers they hit it with before running it through. They still had to redo the windshield because I ran out of washer fluid, and it smeared bug guts all over it. I could barely see by the time I got there.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Here in FL, we have "love bug" season and, at times, the bugs are rather heavily concentrated over the highways. Leading to nearly complete coverage of the front of the vehicle.

I know this, the bug "juices" are damaging and absolutely, positively, strip off wax and etch the clear-coat.

I use Windex, let it soak for 10 minutes or so, reapply and soak some more. Then wash my truck normally with the soft car washing brush n soap. Cleans 'em right off without any significant effort.

This is not uncommon:

[Linked Image from dailycommercial.com]

Looks like another good reason not to live in FL!
crazy2.gif

DANG!!! I ain't that bad of bug problems here. I had some Mequires Quick Detailer spray, tried that...and that worked perfectly!!! Thanks for the advice!!

This is not uncommon:

Wow I thought I had it bad.

[Linked Image]

You may be better off using a waterless wash like optimum no rinse in a spray bottle. Quick detailers are more for light dust, not heavy cleaning.

Originally Posted by Pew

This is not uncommon:

Wow I thought I had it bad.

[Linked Image]

That's way too much bug juice for a quick detailer...that's going to require the use of a pressure washer...

Originally Posted by JoelB
You may be better off using a waterless wash like optimum no rinse in a spray bottle. Quick detailers are more for light dust, not heavy cleaning.

This is what I use but the version from Ultima. The concentrate runs $20 but makes 32 bottles of cleaner. Also leaves some protectant (sealant) behind. I make sure to use it after hwy trips and spray the front vertical surfaces down (windshield, mirrors, grille, bumper cover, leading edge of hood, etc.). Then dry it with a plush MF towel.

Also use it for spot cleaning and the random bird bombs.

As far as a mild yet effective bug and tar remover my top choice would be Duragloss Bug and Tar Remover. Only one that doesn't obliterate the sealant on the paint in my experience.

Yeah - I often do both - hit it at the $1.50 car wash and then some spray Turtle Wax to finish the little stuff and give it some protection

Peroxide spray mixed with water dissolves the sticky stuff followed by a wet towel soak here in Florida for Luv Bugs. Trick is not to wait too long! Let soak then use one of those webbed sponges for scrubbing all the crap off before damage to the clear coat! This does NOT strip the wax so if anything a spray detailer makes it all good but not necessary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back