New! Amsoil Upper Cylinder Lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can say I believe Amsoil PI to be the real deal, this one looks strictly like a ucl, and is priced as such it appears.

Originally Posted by burla
I can say I believe Amsoil PI to be the real deal, this one looks strictly like a ucl, and is priced as such it appears.

I believe this one also has some cleaners to help keep injectors clean.

Originally Posted by BigShug681

msds shows 99.75% oil and alcohol...

.25% or less detergent. 1/4 of 1 %, I'm not sure why they bothered. PI has something like 25-50% detergent plus a ucl. Just saying.

msds shows 99.75% oil and alcohol...

.25% or less detergent. 1/4 of 1 %, I'm not sure why they bothered. PI has something like 25-50% detergent plus a ucl. Just saying.

No. Read the MSDS. "Alcohols, C12-15 Propoxylated, Aminated" 5-10%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amination

Originally Posted by Malo83
Must be rebottled Lucas.
lol.gif

No.

There are reasons some of us post less here than in the past. Please keep it real in the serious subject sub-forums. Thanks.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Yah-Tah-Hey said:
Isn't that what motor oil does?
Only if the vehicle has bad rings

A serious question though, how did I make it to well over 400k in my Sienna without ever using this product? I always wonder this when the subject of a UCL comes up. I've never bought one and I've never used one in any of my vehicles. Would I get more miles out of my vehicles if I had?

Because it's a Toyota.

Last edited:
From the OP's linked AMSOIL Data Bulletin:

• Safe for use with catalytic converters, oxygenated gas and up
to 15 percent ethanol-blended fuels. Do not use with E85 fuel.

Why is this not OK with fuel > E15?

Originally Posted by Pablo
Originally Posted by Malo83
Must be rebottled Lucas.
lol.gif

No.

There are reasons some of us post less here than in the past. Please keep it real in the serious subject sub-forums. Thanks.

Tell me about it!

I think there may be something tangible to upper cylinder lubricants. Exxon's new - since July 2019 - synergy gasoline in highest octane has it, but not the regular grade:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...ils-New-Improved-Synergy-Supreme-Premium

Shell's reformulated - since May 2019 - Nitro+ top grade gasoline (but not regular grade) also got it:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...er-nitro-premium-gasoline-300852675.html

Exxon and Shell call it "friction modifier", which I think is the same as "upper cylinder lubricants". It apparently it's really new addition that wasn't there before late spring of 2019. Maybe amsoil buys it from either company and resells it as the product discussed in this thread.

At any rate, that Shell and Exxon add it to their top grade gas is a factor that contributed to the legitimacy of this product. I think

Originally Posted by vivaUkraine
I think there may be something tangible to upper cylinder lubricants. Exxon's new - since July 2019 - synergy gasoline in highest octane has it, but not the regular grade:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...ils-New-Improved-Synergy-Supreme-Premium

Shell's reformulated - since May 2019 - Nitro+ top grade gasoline (but not regular grade) also got it:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...er-nitro-premium-gasoline-300852675.html

Exxon and Shell call it "friction modifier", which I think is the same as "upper cylinder lubricants". It apparently it's really new addition that wasn't there before late spring of 2019. Maybe amsoil buys it from either company and resells it as the product discussed in this thread.

At any rate, that Shell and Exxon add it to their top grade gas is a factor that contributed to the legitimacy of this product. I think

The additive package in ExxonMobil premium is the exact same additive in their regular. The only difference is that the premium gets about 3X the amount. It's all just a play on words that advertising has always done.

It seems that friction modifier is present only in top grade gasoline.

"Friction modifier - new ingredient protects your engine by reducing wear and tear by 30%.‡‡ (Benefit available only in Synergy Supreme+ premium gasoline)"

Originally Posted by vivaUkraine
It seems that friction modifier is present only in top grade gasoline.

"Friction modifier - new ingredient protects your engine by reducing wear and tear by 30%.‡‡ (Benefit available only in Synergy Supreme+ premium gasoline)"

I can assure you there's ZERO additional additives than what they're currently adding. At least not at the 2 terminals I load EM product at. According to the terminal operator, the extra percentage of the additive concentrate "becomes" an upper cylinder lubricant at the load rate they spec. Like I said...play on words in advertising.

Multiple detergents, anti adhesives, corrosion inhibitor, demulsifier, solvent, tracers (QAQC can check for proper dose)

Thanks! Very interesting and believable. Do you happen to know if EM's claim of "2x cleaner" for to grade gasoline means there's twice as much additive vs regular grade? If not, what's the algorithm for the claim? Thanks again

@GoldDot40, do you happen to know, roughly, how much more concentrated aftermarket stuff like techron concentrate or gumout regane vs EMs top grade gas?

Last edited:
So when an oil company changes the formula of the add pack - instructions would have to come out like how much dose for each fuel grade.
Might be three gasolines at the pump, but likely two in transit - that would be two to treat. If the middle grade is blended at the pump - it gets a relative percent of add pack at that point ?

But other than an SDS - would they be likely to let everyone know what the formula is? I don't think so.

EM generally has more additive in their products than all the other brands. Most brands inject at a rate of roughly 0.01%. That is roughly 378.5 mL of additive per 1000 gallons. ExxonMobil's additive rate for regular unleaded is a nearly 4X more than the market average. ExxonMobil's additive rate for their premium is right at 3X the amount of their regular. That would put ExxonMobil's additive at a rate of ~1.2xx gallons per 1000 gallons for their premium gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back