Costco Fuel mix-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may not be as bad as an issue for most people. The station storage tanks are most likely made of fiberglass and are newer so no corrosion or sediment is present for the dispenser pumps and filters to deal with. Second, the tank itself probably had some fuel left in it so the full mix of E85 was somewhat diluted by the regular gasoline that was left over. I once put a full tank of E85 in my 2003 Dodge Durango with over 100k of miles on the odometer. The only thing that happened is that it got about 10% less MPG.

When it hit the 1/2 mark on the fuel gage, I filled it with regular 87 octane and the mileage returned to normal.

Where E85 could be a real problem is with an older car that has a metal gas tank that might also have some corrosion already started inside the tank. The extra concentration of ethanol could bust loose any sediment and cause the vehicle's fuel filter to become clogged.

If your car has a plastic gas tank, and is fuel injected, I doubt one tank of E85 will cause much harm.

Last edited:
This story is either missing details or sensationalized

It cost me $5.99 to drain my tank, just went to HF and bought a transfer pump. Not $800.

Next the 2017 Suburban is only available as flex fuel
If it wouldn't run she must have filled from empty
and there must have been a good slug of water in there.

Not saying the station putting the wrong fuel in isn't a terrible thing, just seems a little over the top.

I think it's great that your Costco carries 85. What is their price differential to regular 90/10? I can't imagine one load hurting any car. I've run it many times in my 2007 Tahoe. I've even run straight ethanol when the price differential exceeds the mileage penalty. It is rated for FlexFuel.

I agree it's odd that an E85 vehicle would have issues, maybe it was a bad or contaminated batch. I do not for a second doubt a dealership service department would charge $800 to drop the tank, replace a fuel filter and flush the lines and possibly pull the injectors, especially if they think there is reimbursement coming from the gas station. The story just mentioned dropping the tank but I bet there was more to it.

Indydriver-My Costco doesn't knowingly sell E85, just regular and premium. If I was to get a bad batch of fuel, I'd think Costco would be a great place to have it happen as I feel they'd handle it properly.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
This story is either missing details or sensationalized.
Next the 2017 Suburban is only available as flex fuel.

HIGHLY Sensationalized!!!!
More like pure
37.gif

Originally Posted by stupid.misinformed.lady.
.........2017 Chevrolet Suburban at the west St. Louis County gas station, and within minutes of leaving, she got big surprise. "My whole suburban just started shaking, making this loud noise and would not move at all while I was pushing the gas pedal.... My check engine light came on....

I simply don't believe her unless she just got a bunch of water.
HER Dealer is a bunch of dammmed liars, as well.

Too many things stink here. This would be a terrible blunder by the delivery terminal and they would quickly pump out that tank. This woman is trying to be a victim. If it wouldn't run how did she drive to the dealer. Plus all the things already said here. Sounds like a lot of water got in there. Costco will make it good even if it is a scam.

I have to wonder if maybe water got into the fuel. They JUST finished these new pumps and presumably new tanks as they had the ground torn up for weeks. We had the first rain since they've completed this project on Thursday and Friday. Who knows.

Agree with most above, there is more to the story, and isn't a 17 Suburban a flex fuel vehicle anyhow? A single tank of E85 is very unlikely to do any damage to a modern gas engine, the issues for concern are longer term.

In addition to "wrong" E-85 and/or water in tank,
this quote:
"They JUST finished these new pumps and presumably new tanks".

This is potentially significant:
-> New tanks need ballast to stay in place while under construction. Otherwise, rain and even a high water table will float the tanks. So they put fuel in the tanks and that fuel can be rather old / stale.

-> New-construction tanks, pipes, connections, soldering?, etc can be entry points for dirt & soluble contaminants.
Probably risky to assume that the gas pump filter will catch soluble contamination.

I avoid new gas stations for about a month for those reasons.

Another thought is that even if the vehicle is E-85 rated, then a sudden switch from years of E-10 to E-85 can loosen some gunk / varnish within the vehicle's fuel system. In this scenario, perhaps $800 is reasonable is clean the system end-to-end.

Originally Posted by dishdude
She's driving a 2017 Suburban and complaining she doesn't have $800?

^^^ sounds like 98% of the population of the United States........ (living above their realistic means)

It cost me $5.99 to drain my tank, just went to HF and bought a transfer pump. Not $800.

Did you miss the part where the $800 cost was from the dealer ? Good for you that you can remove that fuel yourself for a few bucks. Not everyone can, nor wants to.

I have one of those transfer pumps myself but where would I put 10, 15, 20 gallons of fuel ?

This story is either missing details or sensationalized

Next the 2017 Suburban is only available as flex fuel
If it wouldn't run she must have filled from empty
and there must have been a good slug of water in there.

Not saying the station putting the wrong fuel in isn't a terrible thing, just seems a little over the top.

Yep. 2017 Suburban is Flex Fuel. Should be able to run fine on E85. I guess she just wanted some air time...

Which auto shop wanted to charge her to remove E85 on a Flex Fuel vehicle? lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back