ATF UOA, Any point in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the relatively low change frequency is there any point in obtaining a UOA for ATF? I was thinking about pulling a sample on my ZF unit (54k miles) for the forum but I'm not sure it's going to tell use anything useful.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Due to the relatively low change frequency is there any point in obtaining a UOA for ATF? I was thinking about pulling a sample on my ZF unit (54k miles) for the forum but I'm not sure it's going to tell use anything useful.

Unless they have a lot of ZF transmission UOA data to compare it to I wonder what useful info you can get from it. Water intrusion from an external source maybe? Wear metals, compared to what? I'd be interested in hearing what the experts have to say.

Its worth getting if you get TAN.

Originally Posted by Donald

Its worth getting if you get TAN.

I honestly don't think TBN and TAN change in ATF.... pretty much ever

If you are going to do trending it can be helpful, but you need to make sure the analysis includes particulate's (solids) analysis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule

If you are going to do trending it can be helpful, but you need to make sure the analysis includes particulate's (solids) analysis.

No trending because I don't foresee myself owing this car at 200k miles (car would be over 15 yrs old). I'd probably perform another pan drop at 100-120k miles so that would be only 2 pan drops. Not enough data points for trending.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back