Best oil for Briggs Intek engine 22Hp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys:

Just bought a new zero turn Snapper with Briggs Intex engine. Any recommendations for oil? I currently use Mobil products in my cars.

Thanks

JR

I use pennzoil platinum 5w30 in my brigs 24hp twin. and a motorcraft fl-400s instead of the shorty b&s filter.

holds a bit more oil and runs forever without the oil getting burnt.

A little over two quarts of Castrol EDGE Titanium Synthetic 5w-30 and a Fram XG3600. I have around 50 hours on this combo so far, and there are no issues with oil loss.

I don't see where the B&S Intek 22 and 24 hp motors are fussy about oil. In my 2012 Snapper LT24460, I've used both QSUD and Miles Lubricants 5w-30. Both have been fine with no consumption. I do changes every 35-40 hours.

I've used mostly Baldwin filters but found some Ecogard SE-1 filters on Amazon for cheap. Direct cross reference to B&S.

Since you mentioned Mobil - Delvac 15w40 is tough stuff - I run that or Delo 10w30 in my 19HP Briggs ...

I've got 15 Michigan seasons on a 1/2 acre with a 23hp Intek. Have always run any name brand SAE 30. It still doesn't use any oil.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
I use pennzoil platinum 5w30 in my brigs 24hp twin. and a motorcraft fl-400s instead of the shorty b&s filter.

holds a bit more oil and runs forever without the oil getting burnt.

I have a JD lawn tractor with a Briggs 22 hp Intek. I bought it used with about 150 hrs, and now have 550 hours. It has always had Amsoil 20w50 in it- changed once per year, and I use a Wix filter.

I have Briggs Industrial 18HP engine on a generator. I have Delo XSP 5W40 in it. My logic was I don't have to worry if we lose power in the dead of winter, with a 10W or 15W40 in it. The oil will be suitable for any temperature I'll see in my area.

Originally Posted by jrcowboys
Guys:

Just bought a new zero turn Snapper with Briggs Intex engine. Any recommendations for oil? I currently use Mobil products in my cars.

Thanks

JR

Mobil is fine and any other brand. Brand is not a big deal but use the weight which is specified and change it when specified. I use STech SAE 30 in mine.

Last edited:
If you're sticking with Mobil products, Mobil Delvac 10W30 or Delvac 1 5W40 would be good. Probably still decent rebates on those as well.

I typically use 5w40 in all my tractors, mowers, truck. Not brand specific but whatever's on sale and or combined with rebates makes it more cost efficient. Recently bought some Valvoline Premium Blue synthetic blend 10W30 HDEO on clearance to try out.

I ran a Briggs 724cc V-twin since 2014 on 5w30 and it held up great. Started using Magnatec in my truck so the mower got it too.

Unfortunately the trans went out, but never had any engine issues.

Originally Posted by MParr
SAE 30 HD Whether it's Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline or Super Tech.

Since he is in Texas, I would agree with this.

Also 15W-40 (no particular flavor, any will be fine) will also serve him excellently.

I have found that the intek (horizontal cylinders) puffs smoke pretty heavily on startup with 10W-30 and thinner....Using mobil 15w-50 cures that problem. Going to start using 15W-40 Delvac that I always have left over from the tractor next as I change it every year with less than 30hrs anyway.

I have a Snapper rider with a 22hp Briggs and the first thing I did was change the oil to synthetic. Can't recall which brand but I normally buy sale oil during Autozone clearance. I do recall using 10W30 and putting the orange can Fram on it as I couldn't find the comparable ultra.. Oil still looks new very hard to see it on the dipstick. Bought mower with 250 hrs on it now at roughly 350. The engine is the best part of the mower as it fires right up everytime. It does puff a tiny bit of smoke usually 2-3 seconds if cold. Very smooth and powerful engine though. My mower is the Snapper LT300 which when they made them were a midgrade garden tractor. I did find this summer that the hydrostatic transmission really loves the Amsoil Hydro fluid. Before I was changing Mobil1 15W50 about every 15-20 hrs but not once. The Mobil1 would come out like dark water all viscosity was gone. I have a pretty steep hill that will eat a standard hydro up due to overheating. Those Briggs engines are very good and mine runs like a new one with 350 hrs on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back