Frequent Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
The motorcycles, the sports car, and the sports coupe, all see redline at least once when taken out for a spin. But only after the drivetrain and tires are up to temp. The truck, the old SUV, and the old car, not so much. The wifes SUV, occasionally.

I don't necessarily make a habit of it, but at the same time I'm not afraid to wind things out to the redline on any of my vehicles occasionally.

On the MG, it's practically mandatory in some circumstances. BTW, it has somewhere around 100K on it, but between a non-working speedo/odo when I got it 4 years ago that was showing 87K and who knows what's happened in the past 50 years, it's hard to say if that's "real" or not. It's showing signs of ring wear(more blow-by than I'd like and lower than expected compression), and the hot oil pressure is around 40 psi idle/50psi cruising. I'm planning on a full rebuild(bore, grind the crank, bearings, pistons/rings, a cam, and anything else that needs attention) this winter on a parts short block I have, so once it's properly broken in I'll not be afraid to again flog it every once and a while. Funny enough, between the restored compression and the cam I'm planning on, it SHOULD have enough power that I won't need to beat on it as hard.

bunnspecial said:
I don't necessarily make a habit of it, but at the same time I'm not afraid to wind things out to the redline on any of my vehicles occasionally.

^^This^^

Or when my son borrows the truck I just assume

I prefer to keep things 500rpms south of redline for safety sake, but routinely rev my car out to about 7,000rpms. Any engines with oil pressure regulated VVT systems should be revved out and driven at the RPM's where those systems are active every few weeks in order to keep everything lubricated and working correctly.

My 911 had 177k miles when I sold it and it saw the redline multiple times a day... and usually over 100mph at least once.

Didn't consume a drop, and if I was creating additional wear it wasn't apparent.

Everyday with my Sonata.

My Jeep, while certainly not fast at all, has pretty good torque with the inline-6, so I don't redline it all that much. But I'm not afraid to.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Let us know how that works out for you after 150,000 miles or so. Ed

200k on my jag x-type. I redline it all the time. Just about every drive. It's a tiny, underpowered 2.5L V6 and it's outlasted other x-type owners who don't change the oil as regularly.

No however with a weak engined car like CrossTrek I could see it happened more often.

It's not as stressful to engine as much as it it to the entire driveline, joints, mounts, bushing etc.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
For me, a day without WOT is like a day without oxygen to a regular person.
WOT and redline are a very different conditions, unless you're in an automatic. My Mazda (see below) saw the former a lot, the latter only occasionally.

It's not as stressful to engine as much as it it to the entire driveline, joints, mounts, bushing etc.

True.

Originally Posted by buster

True.

How?

Drivetrain shock is damaging, not high RPM.

Agreed the most stress comes from going WOT and Redline from a dead stop, or driver error during extreme cornering and braking maneuvers, especially when using launch control for hot-launches in cars with auto's. It's pretty safe revving an engine out coming out of a corner or while making a pull while in a lower gear while underway.

Now that you mention it didn't some of the Crosstrek's, BRZ's and F86's have a recall for defective valve springs? If so then I guess with that engine I would be reluctant to rev it out too.

My Hondas (AT) will shift themselves at Redline.
I always try to turn off the AC beforehand.
I wonder about the stress on the alternator with that small pulley... must be spinning at 20K RPM...

Given as numbed and nannied down as the average present day passenger vehicle is, I don't feel as though 'red-lining' them has any ill effect on them at all. An exception would be immediately following an extreme cold start.

Originally Posted by SWS
My Hondas (AT) will shift themselves at Redline.
I always try to turn off the AC beforehand.
I wonder about the stress on the alternator with that small pulley... must be spinning at 20K RPM...

In all my cars the ECU/PCM/whatchacallit automatically would disable the AC compressor at WOT, then automatically engage the clutch again after you let off.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Now that you mention it didn't some of the Crosstrek's, BRZ's and F86's have a recall for defective valve springs? If so then I guess with that engine I would be reluctant to rev it out too.

That was in 2013. But if it blows up its their problem yes..inconvenience on my part.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Eddie
Let us know how that works out for you after 150,000 miles or so. Ed

My ECHO spends a lot of time at or near redline due to the tiny engine. Working great so far at over 280K, probably the lowest consumption of any of my old cars.

There ya go man... I'm with you.. at 285k miles and I push my car hard a lot too.... Think it likes it
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back