I want one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bbhero
60 ft.... Maybe first 200 ft...

It will matter in the first part... Not later of course.

So somehow the 370z with worse horsepower to weight is magically gaining back what you claim it lost in the first little bit to overtake the c5, which has better hp power to weight, and 80# more torque, to pull off a win on the 0-60? Rofl!

Bruh...I've owned both Ls1 and vq37 cars. The 0-60 and 5-60 are darn near identical.

Dude..

Weight being equal....

If one has that much more power/torque off the line...
It will beat another vehicle of similar wt yet has 100 foot pounds less torque .. to the 60 ft...

Maybe beyond... A bit...

Now another part of this is given that said vehicle with 100 ft pounds more of torque has a fair amount of hp... though obviously less than the other by say 100 to 150...

If it hooks up with that much more torque vs the other one... It will beat that other one to 60 ft...

Maybe not beyond....

Lots of variables here...

Not talking TOTAL times...

Understand ?? ???

Not TOTAL TIMES....

Just very short distances...

THAT is ALL....

Also Skippy...

I never once mention that car "over taking the other one".... Way way past 60 feet or say past 200 ft... The other car should drive around it with better hp and hp to WT ratio... I totally agree with you on that.

Because the other car should obviously drive around it... I agree and have stated so...

Last edited:
Dude..

Weight being equal....

It will beat another vehicle of similar wt yet has 100 foot pounds less torque .. to the 60 ft...

Maybe beyond... A bit...

Now another part of this is given that said vehicle with 100 ft pounds more of torque has a fair amount of hp... though obviously less than the other by say 100 to 150...

If it hooks up with that much more torque vs the other one... It will beat that other one to 60 ft...

Maybe not beyond....

Then why doesnt the c5 beat the 370z? Very similar weight, very similar horsepower, but 80# torque difference. Why doesnt that torque matter?

Really, it's a rhetorical question. If you understand mechanics of engines, diffs, and transmissions, it totally makes sense why torque at the engine doesnt mean anything and horsepower does.

Originally Posted by Ws6

So somehow the 370z with worse horsepower to weight is magically gaining back what you claim it lost in the first little bit to overtake the c5, which has better hp power to weight, and 80# more torque, to pull off a win on the 0-60? Rofl!

Bruh...I've owned both Ls1 and vq37 cars. The 0-60 and 5-60 are darn near identical.

I agree with you ^^^^

In THIS scenario....

If the c5 has MORE torque... And weighs less...

You are totally right in ^^^ that scenario.

However if weight was equal....

And car A has 100 ft pounds more torque but less hp by say 100-125...

And car B of similar wt... Has 100 pounds less torque and yet more hp....

Car A could well beat car B to the 60 foot....maybe farther out..

But car B could very likely drive around and pass car A...

Last edited:
Again....

You just said that the c5 weighed less and has more torque....

It should out run the other car to all distances...

Should...

Originally Posted by Ws6

I agree with you ^^^^

In THIS scenario....

Car a would get stumped into the dirt. I hate to bring the cx5 I to this but...

Cx5 diesel has 168hp and 290# tq.
Cx5 gas burner, non turbo, has 187hp and 187tq (or thereabouts)

Cx5 gas burner is faster in every way than diesel. 0-30, 0-60, you name it, its faster.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...a-cx-5-diesel-suv-first-test-review/amp/

Horsepower...

Originally Posted by Ws6
Dude..

Weight being equal....

Maybe beyond... A bit...

Maybe not beyond....

Then why doesnt the c5 beat the 370z? Very similar weight, very similar horsepower, but 80# torque difference. Why doesnt that torque matter?

Really, it's a rhetorical question. If you understand mechanics of engines, diffs, and transmissions, it totally makes sense why torque at the engine doesnt mean anything and horsepower does.

And you don't understand clearly...

Spilt times and distances...

60 ft etc etc etc

I HAVE NOT TALKED ABOUT TOTAL TIMES....

If the times are magically equal...
Great...

And you obviously aren't reading what you type....

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

I agree with you ^^^^

In THIS scenario....

Car a would get stumped into the dirt. I hate to bring the cx5 I to this but...

Cx5 diesel has 168hp and 290# tq.
Cx5 gas burner, non turbo, has 187hp and 187tq (or thereabouts)

Cx5 gas burner is faster in every way than diesel. 0-30, 0-60, you name it, its faster.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...a-cx-5-diesel-suv-first-test-review/amp/

Horsepower...

Not TALKING TOTAL DISTANCE...

At the END of it...

Aka....

End of a TOTAL RUN....

I agree with you...

1000% agree with you on a complete run... Whether it be 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile or 3/4 mile or 1 mile...

You are totally right.

We are on the same team with that aspect.

I'm just saying for the first candidly very small part of the run.... Very, very small...

60 ft... Maybe 100 ft... 200.... Probably not likely... But who knows...

Last edited:

At the END of it...

Aka....

End of a TOTAL RUN....

I agree with you...

1000% agree with you on a complete run... Whether it be 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile or 3/4 mile or 1 mile...

You are totally right.

I'm just saying for the first candidly very small part of the run.... Very, very small...

...well why does a stock c5 and stock 370z both pull the same 1.8-1.9 (with great driver) 60ft time then?

I believe you are totally correct.... In the total run what would happen....

I'm on your side Ws6...On a complete total run...

We were just talking about different distances...

This typing stuff is not easy...
lol.gif

Don't mean to give you a hard time...

You are totally right about the long run.

I was just talking about very, very short distances..

Last edited:
Good question brother..

Right now.... Candidly...

I am too tired to know
lol.gif

What are the weights be on em' ??

Tire size ???

Tire type??

What were the weather conditions ??

Gear ratios on both ??

Pavement type same or different ??

I'm not asking that trying to be difficult...

Just curious..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

At the END of it...

Aka....

End of a TOTAL RUN....

I agree with you...

You are totally right.

...well why does a stock c5 and stock 370z both pull the same 1.8-1.9 (with great driver) 60ft time then?

I remember though you said the c5 had a better weight to hp ratio and had more torque... And more hp...

So the z had worse hp to weight ratio... AND less torque by 80...

Yet the 60 foot times are the same...

Maybe the c5 had more wheel spin...

Off the line due to higher torque and hp...

However the z did not have has much wheel spin and the added weight actually helped the tires on the z hook up better even though it has 80 foot pounds less torque..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

At the END of it...

Aka....

End of a TOTAL RUN....

I agree with you...

You are totally right.

I remember though you said the c5 had a better weight to hp ratio and had more torque... And more hp...

However the z did not have has much wheel spin and the added weight actually helped the tires on the z hook up better even though it has 80 foot pounds less torque..

The weights are within 100# or so, and the hp is about a 15-20whp difference, the tires are both 275s, as I recall, and the environment was MotorTrends test track. If you're saying the weather negated 80# of torque at the same track...(barring a rain storm, lol!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

At the END of it...

Aka....

End of a TOTAL RUN....

I agree with you...

You are totally right.

The weights are within 100# or so, and the hp is about a 15-20whp difference, the tires are both 275s, as I recall, and the environment was MotorTrends test track. If you're saying the weather negated 80# of torque at the same track...(barring a rain storm, lol!)

Interesting....

I agree about the rain part
lol.gif

Yeah... It is peculiar... To be candid though 100 pounds may not sound like a lot... But if in the right location... It could help a fair amount I'd bet...

Think about how in NASCAR just the minor changes in spring rates or a car just burning off gas could either really help it or hurt it.... Or how even very very small air pressure changes could actually help a lot...

Another thing I wonder about... How were the wheels in each car spaced apart... From front to back and side to side laterally.. That could have made a difference in weight distribution.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm back, was letting 2psi of air out of the tires and burning off 1/8th tank of fuel to give my whip an extra 80 pounds more torque of performance! :p

To answer your question, the vette is about 50/50 and 370z 53/47 weight distribution front/rear.

Just accept it. Horsepower and gearing make flywheel torque absolutely irrelevant in contests of speed.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Ok, I'm back, was letting 2psi of air out of the tires and burning off 1/8th tank of fuel to give my whip an extra 80 pounds more torque of performance! :p

To answer your question, the vette is about 50/50 and 370z 53/47 weight distribution front/rear.

Just accept it. Horsepower and gearing make flywheel torque absolutely irrelevant in contests of speed.

Be careful with the tire pressure! We'd hate for you to end up like this guy!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Ws6

Be careful with the tire pressure! We'd hate for you to end up like this guy!
crackmeup2.gif

Wow he sure padded that! At least he said "I was wrong", too lol!

Originally Posted by Ws6

No.... Don't... Have to accept that ...

Gear does make a big difference.... I again.... Agree with you on that part.

What was the gear in the z and c5 ???

Maybe c5 had a poor low end gear selection... While z had one that was a better one...

You said the c5 and the z ran the same times roughly...

However it took you A LONG, LONG, LONG time to come up with "times".. to 60 ft...... .

Still don't totally believe that a c5 with a better hp to weight ratio and torque advantage would not out 60 ft a heavier car... With a worse hp to weight ratio... Heck.... Maybe the tires were garbage on the c5...

Again... I will take bet that cars of similar weight.... And relatively close hp to within a reasonable margin... Yet one with better torque... Will out 60 ft another one with a good bit less torque...

And yet again... Just a reminder... To you.... In the longer run whether it be 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 or 1 mile then higher hp car will drive around the other one. I agree with you on that... Absolutely.

Of course it depends on how well that car handles farther out and if it can truly hook up the hp advantage farther out...

Lots of variables...

Overall in the longer run I would agree that higher hp would win out... as a general rule.

We are in agreement on a big number of things here.

I hope you have a good day today man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back