I want one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by bbhero
It is cool... No doubt.

On the street you are lucky if you can get 600 hp and 500 foot lbs of torque to hook up to the pavement.

Remember boys and girls... Spinning ain't winning
lol.gif

My z06 hooked up fine. 505/475. The zr1 I drove did, too. 638/???

This was pre-ptm. Throw awd or Ptm in, and go big.

Yeah sure...

I'd bet good money... A whole, whole, whole lot of people cannot get 600 hp and 500 plus foot pounds of torque to actually make no wheel spin on a hot asphalt road... . On a cool one maybe... On concrete cooled off maybe... But it would actually take a lot of running and fine tuning to make it work consistently.
Aka street outlaw type practice and set ups... But for a World Champion with money to spend on a car with that much power... And no real experience... That cat will not be able to do it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
It is cool... No doubt.

On the street you are lucky if you can get 600 hp and 500 foot lbs of torque to hook up to the pavement.

Remember boys and girls... Spinning ain't winning
lol.gif

My z06 hooked up fine. 505/475. The zr1 I drove did, too. 638/???

This was pre-ptm. Throw awd or Ptm in, and go big.

Yeah sure...

I'd bet good money... A whole, whole, whole lot of people cannot get 600 hp and 500 plus foot pounds of torque to actually make no wheel spin on a hot asphalt road... . On a cool one maybe... On concrete cooled off maybe... But it would actually take a lot of running and fine tuning to make it work consistently.
Aka street outlaw type practice and set ups... But for a World Champion with money to spend on a car with that much power... And no real experience... That cat will not be able to do it.

My Z06 would tolerate WOT on clean, dry, normal temp asphalt above 60*F (unless it was stoopid hot and the road was oozing, there was just no issue even on hot summer days, but drop below about 50-60, and the F1G2's would harden up a bit...) with ZERO wheel spin from a first gear punch. Shifting into 2nd gear illicited zero drama. Of course, that's below your threshold there by a bit, at 505/475, but it was also a 3175# car, too, and RWD at that.

Also consider location and formulation. Where I lived, traction wasn't bad. Other places I've been, you can't get ANYTHING to hook up. I accidentally near AWD power slid my CX5 around a corner in San Antonio last time I visited, and my WS.6 would get sideways gently rolling onto the throttle in 3rd gear at 2500rpm. San Antonio has the most stoopid slick asphalt I've ever SEEN! So if it's like that where you live in VA, yeah, all bets off!

*The ZR1 was driven on-track, so I don't count that really, as I have limited experience with the car and a 1-off experience is just that.

This just ridiculous. Nobody could possibly use this much HP on public roads. 300-400 HP is more than enough to get your license taken away...it's great for bragging rights though...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by grampi
This just ridiculous. Nobody could possibly use this much HP on public roads. 300-400 HP is more than enough to get your license taken away...it's great for bragging rights though...

That is exactly why I sold my Z06. I was paying for 100% of it, and using only a fraction of that. Didn't make sense, since I did not track the car.

Bragging rights is nothing new.

If I could afford a $2mill Veyron or $500k Carerra GT or this tuned Mustang, I could give a rats butt what others think. In fact I'm probably laughing my arse off that I can afford to drive a 600hp/+1000hp beast on the street and not have a care in the world... meanwhile the cheapskate me, who has 2 kids to put through college says, "what a waste"...so it's a matter of perspective.

Last edited:
I don't mind the cars with all that HP and TQ. They are fun, look and sound great and I would own one if that was my bag. I get a little peeved at some of the drivers of these cars that have no skill and show off the no talent at the stop light drags. Personally I like cars that are a little lower HP but have great handling. I love the twistys when I drive.

I find it amusing now that I have been driving the 981 all the time how many times some idiot wants to "race" me. First off, you're going to kick my butt
smile.gif

Second I want to keep my license and car. Finally the amount of traffic present when this happens is a disaster waiting to happen. So I slowly pull away while they launch like the are at the drag strip
smile.gif

Now you have some SUVs, sedans and even minivans(I'm looking at you, Sienna and Pacifica) that are at the 300hp mark standard. 300hp in a sports/pony car is one thing - but a family hauler with 300+hp is another thing.

But then again horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.

Originally Posted by nthach

Now you have some SUVs, sedans and even minivans(I'm looking at you, Sienna and Pacifica) that are at the 300hp mark standard. 300hp in a sports/pony car is one thing - but a family hauler with 300+hp is another thing.

We just purchased a cayenne with the base motor. 334 HP LOL more than enough. The upper level Cayenne are over 400 HP
crazy2.gif

EDIT: Just looked the turbo is over 540 HP. wow

Last edited:
I love cars like this, in responsible hands. What I don't like are cars like this in the hands of rich, immature DBs who wrap them around telephone poles and cause EVERYONE'S insurance rates to rise.

Our Grand Caravan will spin it's tires with ease. But that power makes merging on to the highway pretty easy.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Our Grand Caravan will spin it's tires with ease. But that power makes merging on to the highway pretty easy.

My parent's Sienna is the older 230(215 recertified)hp model, and even so I can get the tires to chirp. It's an easy driver.

LOL! Horsepower > Torque. At the track. At the drag strip. At any kind of contest of speed except pulling things.

Daily driving on the other hand, torque is king.

This explains why an S2000 is faster than a Mustang GT back in 2002. It also explains why a 370Z is = to a C5 corvette. Explains a lot of other stuff, too, but mainly all you need to understand is that horsepower is just a measurement of applicable torque, and with intelligent gearing, it is made known on the timeslips.

I agree ^^^^.

I have heard torque gets you going off the line and is what matters early in a run... And hp is at the end of a run is what will ultimately run you through a brick wall at the end of a run...

I agree ^^^^.

I have heard torque gets you going off the line and is what matters early in a run... And hp is at the end of a run is what will ultimately run you through a brick wall at the end of a run...

Then why is the 370Z the same 0-60 and 5-60 as the C5 corvette, when they weigh nearly the same, and have nearly the same horsepower, yet the corvette has almost 100# more torque?

Hint: It's horsepower to weight that matters. Not engine torque. Gearing...gearing...

Originally Posted by Ws6

LOL! Horsepower > Torque. At the track. At the drag strip. At any kind of contest of speed except pulling things.

Daily driving on the other hand, torque is king.

This explains why an S2000 is faster than a Mustang GT back in 2002. It also explains why a 370Z is = to a C5 corvette. Explains a lot of other stuff, too, but mainly all you need to understand is that horsepower is just a measurement of applicable torque, and with intelligent gearing, it is made known on the timeslips.

Torque is what makes a vehicle fun to drive on the street. Yes, there are vehicles with a lot more HP than torque and they are fast, so long as you have the RPMs up high. I'll take something like an LS1 powered whatever with it's gobs of low end grunt over something else that makes more HP, but lacks low end torque. An S2000 won't even get out of its own way until the tach hits 5K RPMs...by contrast, an LS1 Corvette will accelerate hard starting at 1500 RPMs...

Originally Posted by Ws6
I agree ^^^^.

Then why is the 370Z the same 0-60 and 5-60 as the C5 corvette, when they weigh nearly the same, and have nearly the same horsepower, yet the corvette has almost 100# more torque?

Hint: It's horsepower to weight that matters. Not engine torque. Gearing...gearing...

I'm not buying that the 370 is as quick 0-60 as a C5. Maybe a C5 with an automatic, but the M6 is good for mid 4s...the 370 isn't that quick...

Originally Posted by Ws6
I agree ^^^^.

I'm not buying that the 370 is as quick 0-60 as a C5. Maybe a C5 with an automatic, but the M6 is good for mid 4s...the 370 isn't that quick...

Looks like 0-60 in 4.7 for the 370 with a manual.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...0z/2009/2009-nissan-370z-first-test/amp/

Corvette managed 4.8...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...999/1999-chevrolet-corvette-hardtop/amp/

Wheres that mad 80# torque advantage showing up, eh? I ain't seeing it...

Torque does matter... Off the line.... Like I have said.

60 ft..... 200 ft....

Off the line...

Weight to hp ratio matters...

No doubt..

But if the weight is rather close... That 100 foot ponuds of torque will matter IF it hooks up really well to the road... At least for the first 60 ft.... Maybe a bit farther... Then hp comes more in play obviously.

Last edited:
Torque does matter... Off the line.... Like I have said.

60 ft..... 200 ft....

Off the line...

Well, that apparently doesnt translate to 0-60 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back