Gabriel vs TRW struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to buy replacement struts and Rockauto has closeouts on Gabriel Ultra and TRW struts. Never heard of TRW, but the Ultra I believe is Gabriel's premium line. Price is the same for either. Which one would you go with?

TRW is a Federal Mogul brand, I thought it had been for the most part retired and split into the other brands:

For example TRW pistons now Sealed Power and Speed Pro, TRW suspension now Moog and so forth...

However, since Federal Mogul was acquired by Tenneco, they could be the same as Monroe...

Whats it for?

TRW made OEM brakes for my 2012 Jetta. They can't be that bad because they lasted 100,000 miles in the rears and the fronts are still going.

Gabriel Ultras were well regarded on here in the past. Now it's nothin' but KYB quickstruts!
sick.gif

Originally Posted by perfect_oil
They have some good deals on Monroe. You don't like Monroe?

When I looked earlier today, the only Monroes they had on clearance are the OE Spectrum line, which is their bottom dollar budget strut. Would rather spend a few bucks more on something more premium.

The Monroe quick struts for the 4th gen Maxima aren't bad at all
smile.gif

Don't get the Gabriel quick struts for that car because the bottom holes of the front struts are elongated and will cause an alignment nightmare! This applies to both the quick struts as well as the regular strut that's only the strut

I've always found TRW stuff very reliable. As FordBroncoVWJetta noted above, they are an OEM supplier. It's usually pretty good value too, probably since they do enough OEM business not to have to splurge on marketing for the aftermarket.

Both are Chinese made most likely. So not much difference in those 2.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Gabriel Ultras were well regarded on here in the past. Now it's nothin' but KYB quickstruts!
sick.gif

The KYB quick-struts seem to have bad mounts of late. Reviews have been dropping a but in the last year on them. Struts are ok but the bad mount/bearing jingle seems to be a common complaint.

Looking at the options for that car or RA, a small premium for the KYB Excel vs. TRW or the better Monroes would be worth it (the cheap Monroes just aren't worth even that low price IMO). Maybe you can find that one that is expensive cheaper on Ebay, etc. Those are good shocks, will perform well and will last. I have ~80k now on a set on a Lexus and they are still performing perfectly.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
When I looked earlier today, the only Monroes they had on clearance are the OE Spectrum line, which is their bottom dollar budget strut. Would rather spend a few bucks more on something more premium.

OK makes sense. I didn't know OE Spectrum was the bottom of the barrel.

Originally Posted by perfect_oil

OK makes sense. I didn't know OE Spectrum was the bottom of the barrel.

It's not. That would be the Gas-Matic/Monro-Matic or anything that ends in -Matic
smile.gif

The OEspectrum is their premium line, OE quality.

Thanks for the input fellas. I'll probably go with the TRW; sounds like you can't really go wrong with that brand, whereas the others have lines of varying quality.

I'm going to avoid Monroe this time around, I replaced the front struts about 50k ago with Monroe Limited Edition struts, which were a premium line at the time. The drivers side is already leaking fluid. So what was going to be a simple tie rod end replacement has now turned into lower control arms, struts, strut mounts and the tie rod ends. Might as well replace the sway bar end links while I'm in there. I did all this together about 50k ago but the boots have cracked and hemorrhaged grease on both the tie rod ends AND ball joints. I always err on the side of quality when buying parts, so this was all reasonably name brand stuff-- seems it's terribly difficult to find quality parts that hold up nowadays! Seems like I'd be better off buying the cheap Ultra Power and roll the dice... I digress. Will give the name brand stuff another go-around, the last set was supposed to follow this car to the grave!

I ordered some TRW struts that were on clearance on RockAuto for $25.XX. They arrived today and appear to be rebadged Sachs, which IMO is a good thing.

Thanks for the input fellas. I'll probably go with the TRW; sounds like you can't really go wrong with that brand, whereas the others have lines of varying quality.

I'm going to avoid Monroe this time around, I replaced the front struts about 50k ago with Monroe Limited Edition struts, which were a premium line at the time. The drivers side is already leaking fluid. So what was going to be a simple tie rod end replacement has now turned into lower control arms, struts, strut mounts and the tie rod ends. Might as well replace the sway bar end links while I'm in there. I did all this together about 50k ago but the boots have cracked and hemorrhaged grease on both the tie rod ends AND ball joints. I always err on the side of quality when buying parts, so this was all reasonably name brand stuff-- seems it's terribly difficult to find quality parts that hold up nowadays! Seems like I'd be better off buying the cheap Ultra Power and roll the dice... I digress. Will give the name brand stuff another go-around, the last set was supposed to follow this car to the grave!

Definitely worth it to use quick struts. Just too bad KYB doesn't make quick struts for the 4th gen Maxima
mad.gif

If you want to go cheap, Rock Auto does have SenSen speedy struts on closeout
smile.gif

Sensen is an OE supplier to Chinese-market European-nameplate cars like Volvo and VW. Their aftermarket shocks are said to be a Chinese copy of KYB. So if you're going to do teh cheap no-name, it might as well be Sensen

Originally Posted by alchargo
I ordered some TRW struts that were on clearance on RockAuto for $25.XX. They arrived today and appear to be rebadged Sachs, which IMO is a good thing.

Yep, I received mine the other day and they are rebadged Sachs as well. Not bad for $25!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back