Overthinking something simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Soobs
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Soobs
Just out of curiosity what Toyota filter has a 50% efficiency? The Toyota OEM filter speced for my Highlander, 04152-YZZA1, has a multi-pass rating of 99% at 25 microns and they're only $5.41 at the dealer part's department.

*edit*

I guess the key here is single pass vs multi-pass. FRAM ExtraGuard states a single-pass efficiency at 95.7% @ 10-20 microns.

What's the source of thiat efficiency data?

Amazon lists the 04152-YZZA1 as a high-flow filter with a multipass efficiency of 99% at 25 microns in the product description. https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyo...4152-YZZA1&qid=1570928373&sr=8-7

Not so sure I'd take info on Amazon as gospel when Toyota/Denso never publishes efficiency specs on any of their oil filters.

The info on Amazon says " 99% Multi-Pass efficiency and removal of particles as small as 25 microns. "

It says "and", not "99% at 25 microns".

Oh I don't take it as gospel and I don't even buy them from Amazon. Dealer just dropped the price to $3.20 for the OEMs. I can't imagine you'll find UOAs showing used oil from OEM filters with any more contaminates than using an aftermarket. Arguably the best and longest lasting engines in the passenger car market are made by Honda and Toyota. I trust them with their OEM specced parts. That being said I have no issue with aftermarket either. It's just the OEMs have the best value for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bettez88
Originally Posted by Bud
I agree. Just buy what you like at the price point that suits you.

It's not the price point that has me buying them, it's the efficiency rating compared to the Oem filters I usually buy. I even bought the tough guard and returned them realizing they're probably overkill for my vehicles lol

I'd say in reality there's no such thing as overkill on oil filter efficiency, but there is definitely a point of diminishing ROI; considering at 20 microns you can get 90% filters for $1.99, 95% filters for $4, and 99% filters for $7.99, there's not much market for things like bypass filters unless you're driving OTR and want to do super long OCIs, or because you just like fiddling and know there's no ROI in a bypass setup on your daily driver. JMO

I do consider efficiency as a minimum standard, considering how affordable the WIX standard filters are and their high level of performance. But as long as the efficiency is above that minimum, I will pay more for a filter that lasts longer.
Wix EP has lower efficiency than WIX standard -- not interested.
E.g. Fram Ultra has high efficiency and costs twice as much, but also has high capacity and lasts two service intervals... so it looks like a wash BUT I change the filter half as often. So actually this example is a win
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Originally Posted by Bettez88
Originally Posted by Bud
I agree. Just buy what you like at the price point that suits you.

It's not the price point that has me buying them, it's the efficiency rating compared to the Oem filters I usually buy. I even bought the tough guard and returned them realizing they're probably overkill for my vehicles lol

Help me to understand, do you want better (or perhaps the best) efficiency or the lowest price? Or is the priority best efficiency within a certain price range?

Personally I think the Fram Tough Guard has the best efficiency for your money, I don't know why you would think that 99% @ 20 microns is "overkill" unless you don't want among the highest level of filtration efficiency available which I surmise you might.

Just using Walmart prices as an example, an Extra Guard 7317 is about $4 and a Tough Guard 7317 is about $7. To some people $3 is a big deal, to me it is not and I would just as soon spend $3+ extra and get an Ultra Synthetic 7317 for $10.

Maybe I'll go with the ultra and just change it at 15k or 2 oil changes...but then again, you're really only saving $10 over two oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back