Help ID Quadrajet Carb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine is not original to vehicle; we know it's a 350. Carb is going to need a rebuild but model numbers are nearly obliterated. Every known trick has been attempted to expose them, but only a few are visible. We've cleaned, attempted a contrast with paint, taken photos that had tons of light, etc.

From my research, this is likely a model 1904R. Choke is electric. There is a previous-owner-added manual throttle cable as you can see, right by the original one's location.

Any assistance is appreciated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Good old Quadrajet carb,very underrated by many. With someone that knows what they are doing, they can be made to perform very well.

Not sure what model that would be. Never seen one with that tall collar on it before.

Used to flip over the air cleaner lid on the parents 350 Chevy to hear them howl on Friday night
(and forgot to put it back once, not good)

That MAY be an original (non-rebuilt) Q-Jet. Is so, you have a good one.
If it has been commercially rebuilt, it could be junk.
Look up Lars Grimsrud; he is one of the last Q-Jet gurus ans a great guy.
He will rebuild it for around $200 depending on parts needed.

Lars

If your carb is junk, there are some decent options.
Holley makes a Q-Jet replacement.
I would try a Street Demon, which is an easy replacement.

Street Demon

Good Luck. I love Q-Jets; I run a Lars rebuilt on my '68 L36.

Other rebuilders are Henry Olsen (local here in San Mateo, CA) and Cliff Ruggles.

Last edited:
Torx bolts + Evap vent + No mixture control solenoid= Early-Mid 80's HD 4MV.

17085213 should get you the correct rebuild kit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
That MAY be an original (non-rebuilt) Q-Jet. Is so, you have a good one.

It's probably been rebuilt a few times.....The Mixture Screw plugs have been drilled out.

Get the block and head casting numbers and the engine i.d. numbers and letters behind the alternator. Should be able to i.d. things by those assuming nothing's been swapped around.

The great thing about Q-Jets is how they can be tuned to a very precise degree; I still get called on to rebuild one every few years.

Thanks everyone! I am in the quest for a rebuild kit, maybe I wasn't clear on that, and trying to learn which to order. I have a mentor who is going to teach me how to do the rebuild once the kit is in hand.

If it has the oe plastic foam float, you want to replace it. They tend to get full of gas and cause flooding. I love quadrajets. I had a 69 impala 255 350 that I rejetted during the gas crisis . It was rather lean, and hard to drive when it was cold so I converted the AC to double snorkel with heat and manual choke so I could get off choke as soon as possible. That improved drive ability and I got even better mileage. , it still had a lean sag the first few miles. But it got great mileage for the day.I often got 20 on a 25 mile drive to college. In the spring and fall when AC not needed 21 was possible. for 75 to 79 that was pretty remarkable fuel economy. I used a delta mark 10 ignition and .050 plug gap.

I do know how to tune one for no secondary tip in sag.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back