What if you got an old Muscle Car for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Hate to be the picky one, but Mustangs, Camaros, Barracudas etc are pony cars, not muscle cars.
Corvettes and Cobras are sports cars.

I agree with you 100%.

To add further.....I see a lot of love for First Gen Camaro Z-28's. Has anyone actually driven one? Even with 4.11:1 gears, They had NO low end torque!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Hate to be the picky one, but Mustangs, Camaros, Barracudas etc are pony cars, not muscle cars.

I agree with you 100%.

To add further.....I see a lot of love for First Gen Camaro Z-28's. Has anyone actually driven one? Even with 4.11:1 gears, They had NO low end torque!

Who cares, they just look cool.
smile.gif

That was actually part of my dilemma that I posted above, keeping it stock (and boring), or doing a power update with old stuff, or going full retro-mod on it.

But since my first choices were "Pony" cars and not "muscle" car, I change my answer to a '70 El Camino SS396 (or is that considered a truck?).
I would also accept a 1970 Chevelle SS 454

I will find a pic of the 4-4-2... For now, here's a sports car (my ghetto ride, money pit, wasted $$).

Flame suit on...

I agree with your assessment. But the 427 Cobra, regardless of category, is still the most coveted car of that era for me.

I had a Duster 340 W/4-speed that I rebuilt the engine and transmission in (with guidance as an apprentice) before I turned 16. It was my driver through highschool. A car I wish I hadn't been so shortsighted to sell. Good friend of mine had a Chevelle LS6 454, in highschool. He used to mostly idle along to try and save gas. lol

I agree with you 100%.

...which is why they had 4.11 gears.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I'll take one of these.

[Linked Image]

Alright, in the spirit of the thread, I'll also say an original 427 Cobra.

I did buy a late model version of what was intended as a successor (with input from Carroll), instead.

Thanks for being a good sport. And nice pick!

Thanks for the lesson on muscle car/pony car. I really had not made a distinction between them.

I agree with you 100%.

I would take a 1st gen Camaro, but with a 427...those had torque!

When a big block engine was shoe horned into a Mustang, Camaro or Corvette it became a muscle car.

Originally Posted by TurboLuver
1969 Camaro ZL1 COPO

[Linked Image]

What was the difference between these and the Yenko Camaros?

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by TurboLuver
1969 Camaro ZL1 COPO

[Linked Image]

What was the difference between these and the Yenko Camaros?

The ZL1 had an aluminum-block 427. Basically, it was an NHRA ringer.

I saw a Yenko Chevelle the other day ago. Now, while Yenko was way ahead of my time, wasn't the "official" Yenko car a Camaro?

Originally Posted by nthach
I saw a Yenko Chevelle the other day ago. Now, while Yenko was way ahead of my time, wasn't the "official" Yenko car a Camaro?

Camaro, Chevelle, Nova (Yenko Deuce), and the original, the Yenko Stinger Corvair.

Originally Posted by DGXR
1967 Corvette 327 fuelie 4-speed

The last fuelie was 1965; it was the mechanical setup.
FI came back in 1982 with the Crossfire 350. It was also used in the new 1984 C4.
The C4 was introduced in summer 1983 as an 84; there was no 83 model.
The 1st fuelie was in 1957; the 1st year of the 327 in a Vette.
My BIL has a gorgeous 62 fuelie. He spent years (and big $$) finding parts to assemble the car as correctly as possible.

But I can tell you the small block C2 and C3s were nicely balanced cars.
If I am ever stupid enough to get another (I've had 4) it will be a small block, 65 to 67.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back