Help! Stupid F150 filter location

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has a ‘14 F150 with the 3.5. How in the heck do you easily change the filter and oil on this sucker? It has the metal belly pan. I can reach and barely grab it from the top, and can't get a good angle from the bottom (truck is on the concrete, not lifted.

Any tips on easing filter removal/install? It sucked!

Pretty sure you are supposed to remove the skid plate to change the oil. I haven't looked under an EB truck, but on a lot of Fords now you have to take an under shield or plate off first.

Front, left, just behind the air dam, 3 or 4 white clips.
Turn them 90 degrees and lower that material.

You can reach up and grab the oil filter from there.

There is a plastic tray that will catch and reroute the oil that comes down....be careful.

I bet there are at least a hundred UTubes on this.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Yea, I think it was pain the last time I had one. Wish all cars had the oil filter like on my Subaru, it's like shaking someone's hand to take it off.

My ‘18 XLT 3.5 is way easier than my ‘11 FX4, I guess because It's a 2wd. You get used to hitting where the filter goes blind . The ‘18 has a lot more room and you see what you're doing. Helps to put the truck on jack stands too.

I usually stick a large fast food drink cup in the aft square opening, remove filter and lay upside down on the drain plate. This will work if the truck is up on 6'' ramps.

I have both the 2.7L EB and the 3.5EB. I have long arms and work on aircraft for a living, so I understand working on difficult to reach items. The 3.5 is a bit of a pain to reach, that's for sure. Takes a bit of time and effort to do it right.

The 2.7 has a cartridge filter on the top, front of the engine. It could not be easier.

Originally Posted by Capt
I usually stick a large fast food drink cup in the aft square opening, remove filter and lay upside down on the drain plate. This will work if the truck is up on 6'' ramps.

Good tip.
I turn the filter upright immediately to reduce the spillage.

The '17 and up is a little easier.... its open between the air dam and skid plate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Pretty sure you are supposed to remove the skid plate to change the oil.

Yep, access probably better with the skid pan removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back