What to run in my s series manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you guys recommend I run in my 02 Saturn sc2 manual. Something good and widely available. Who makes a thicker Dex 3 I know many of the dex 6 products are thinner than Dex 3 was.

Pennzoil Synchromesh available at Napa. The auto makers that used ATF in their sticks did so to save money on the assembly line. ATF is not the best choice.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3269441/Follow_up:_2004_Ion_5-speed,_P

Originally Posted by ram_man
What would you guys recommend I run in my 02 Saturn sc2 manual. Something good and widely available. Who makes a thicker Dex 3 I know many of the dex 6 products are thinner than Dex 3 was.

You know the dexron III (which doesn't actually exist anymore) won't stay that way, right? I think you do, that is one of the requirements of the dexron VI specification.

You can still get Dex/Merc Dexron-III type ATF almost everywhere, but the newer Dexr4on VI will work fine, too
smile.gif

Pennzoil Synchromesh, GM Synchromesh, and RP Synchromax are good choices.

GM made a tsb awhile back advising people not to use Dex VI in certain manual's saturn s series was on the list.

Also is synchromesh ok for the friction material in the transmission?

My understanding is that Dex 6 starts out with less viscosity but shears less so it has more viscosity during use than previous dexron atf formulas.

No where around me has the Allison fluid. I'd like to use something widely available if possible.

I saw synchromesh was recommended a couple of times. Is that stuff acceptable with the Saturn synchronizers?

Originally Posted by kschachn
GM made a tsb awhile back advising people not to use Dex VI in certain manual's saturn s series was on the list.

If you follow that then you should be using this:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Fluid-88861800-Manual-Transmission/dp/B00BK7M1EK

Any idea what that fluid actually is?

Yes, it is an ATF with a slightly boosted AW component and the same viscosity as the older Dex/Merc

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Pennzoil Synchromesh or Valvoline Synchromesh or Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL® 75W80 should work fine.

How can I be sure that a synchromesh wont react with the synchros negatively?

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Pennzoil Synchromesh or Valvoline Synchromesh or Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL® 75W80 should work fine.

How can I be sure that a synchromesh wont react with the synchros negatively?

Pennzoil claims that Synchromesh is GL-4 over the tech line, but if isn't listed on the bottle, which frankly isn't a good sign to me.

I'd recommend a 75w or 75w-80 GL-4 gear oil, if it's printed on the product you can be confident that it will be the proper product for your vehicle.

Plenty of 75w GL-4 gear oils around on the internet. Ravenol is a great Made in Germany brand and they offer exactly what you need in 75w and 75w-80 GL-4.

What I don't understand and it's causing some fear is that the car calls for Dex 3 I know the synchros are the fiber material and are not brass. So I want to make sure that whatever I choose won't eat those up and cause big issues.

What I don't understand and it's causing some fear is that the car calls for Dex 3 I know the synchros are the fiber material and are not brass. So I want to make sure that whatever I choose won't eat those up and cause big issues.

I'd make sure to buy whatever fluid is safe for carbon or fiber based synchros, my guess is that a all synthetic based fluid will be best to prevent wear most effectively.
Also make sure it is GL-4 only and not GL-5 since added sulfur probably is just as likely to wear harder on fiber based gears as the brass/bronze gears.

It's not easy to find specific info regarding which fluids are best for carbon and other fiber based synchros. Although I'm sure that you do NOT want to use a GL-5 spec fluid for sure.

I wonder if Pentosin MTL-2 would be your best bet?

I'd send GM technical center an e mail and ask about this. I'd be interested to know the answer as well!

OTOH CALLING MOLAKULE....
lol.gif

....so Mola, what can you tell ram man about what fluids are best for these fiber based synchros. Mineral or all synthetic based, and I assume you want a GL-4 only fluid as well.

Last edited:
I had an issue with my transfer case. I put a Dex III compatible fluid that was also compatible with Dex VI. Bad move. Was slipping around corners. I found a good Dex III at O'Reilly's. O'Reilly branded it's been great. So I'm not a believer in the backwards compatibility.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I had an issue with my transfer case. I put a Dex III compatible fluid that was also compatible with Dex VI. Bad move. Was slipping around corners. I found a good Dex III at O'Reilly's. O'Reilly branded it's been great. So I'm not a believer in the backwards compatibility.

A little bit off topic, the OP is asking about synchronized manual transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back