Modded my Stormcat generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted previously about the brand new Harbor Freight generator I swapped for. Being the tinkerer that I am, I couldn't leave it alone.. Right after I got it, I followed advice I'd read and changed out the plug and cap for NGK items. At the same time, I added a fuel filter and better quality fuel line. An hour meter came next, one of those small digital ones that wrap a thin wire around the plug wire.

I've got about 8 hours on the generator, running a 40:1 mix for break in. It runs and starts like a champ.

Still tinkering, I went onto EBay and found a neat little 0-500VAC digital meter. For a dollar and a half. It got here yesterday, so I started figuring out where to put it, and how to hook it up.

I took the tank off, and found the perfect spot for it. Directly to the left of the off-on switch. Drilled a 7/8" hole in the panel and it fit perfectly. Wiring it was even simpler. I cut the 2 red wires, and spliced the meter wires in, secured with a couple wire nuts.

I started the unit up, and was getting voltage readings between 90 and 135 volt, no load. As soon as I put a 600 watt heater on, the engine ran very smoothly, and the meter read a rock solid 117 volts. Turning the heater to 900 watts saw a pretty steady 105-110 volts, and trying the 1500 watt setting made the unit run like crap and produced wildly varying voltage around 80 volts.

image.jpeg

That's cool. I love small nerd mods like that.

You should swap the wire nuts for butt connectors, wire nuts are not meant for vibrations or really any non-construction use.

Yeah, I know.. They're there until I break out the soldering gun and heat shrink tubing and do it right. Just wanted to see if it worked.

Is this installed on that little 2-stroke genny you got?

I've never seen one of those rated up to 1500W

Yes, it is, and I knew I was running it way over its rated output, only for a few seconds. No way I'd run anywhere near that wattage for more than a couple of seconds.

I have one of these little 2-stroke generators, bought it in 2011. Still works good, can run at rated power for hours on end; a full tank of gas is good for about 4-5 hours.

I use it to run my fridge/freezer (uses about 800W) for longer duration power outages. Sometimes it can require quite a few pulls to start when stone cold, but other than that, no complaints!

You need a Hz meter to show that, and how about a small oscilloscope to show the sine wave (or lack of)?

And make it WIFI capable so you can see all these things on your phone.

I broke the fuel shut off valve on mine. Might want to upgrade that too.

Mine makes rates power without issue, but voltage sags badly and rpm decreases with any excess load.

Even so, mine has been tasked with running halogen lights at an Airshow. It ran at rated load every night for the week. No issues at all. Fuel burn was Not bad at all. About a gallon per night

Originally Posted by BSeward
Yes, it is, and I knew I was running it way over its rated output, only for a few seconds. No way I'd run anywhere near that wattage for more than a couple of seconds.

I've got the same one. Actually just gave it to my brother. Anyway, Just to try, I plugged a space heater into it once. It would run it on low. Once I switched the heater to high it just stalled the little generator out.

on the top of the carb on the right side next to the throttle lever is a round metal plug behind that is the mixture screw for the carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back